Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

I didn't like his attitude last week. When interviewed he went on about the majors that he wont recently..and nobody has won more than him in the last 5 years...so he should be up in the favourites for the majors now. This isn't the harrington that I know. He seems to be way too defensive.

How ridiculous can you get? That was clearly a lighthearted comment which you have chosen to completely misrepresent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Seves Three Iron

I'd be very surprised if Harrington's recent comment - which Mark Roe made a surprisingly big deal of by the way on Sky - isn't some idea he has cooked up with Bob Rotella. He appears to me to be trying to trick his sub conscious into believing he's still a top, top player after three years of death by a thousand cuts. In fairness to him, it appeared to work at the Masters. If only he could trick himself into believing he's a good putter also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Martin567 wrote: »
    How ridiculous can you get? That was clearly a lighthearted comment which you have chosen to completely misrepresent?

did you see the interview? He didn't smile once during it. He was deadly serious. Not sure why you're calling me ridiculous by the way. Is this how you talk to people in real life?

did you see the interview? He didn't smile once during it. He was deadly serious. Not sure why you're calling me ridiculous by the way. Is this how you talk to people in real life?

Your comment was ridiculous. You didn't like his attitude and that was your reason. That, to me, is ridiculous.

Did you see the interview in question? you're saying he meant it light hearted...but anyone who saw it will know that that's not the case. There is only one person being ridiculous here. Well, 2 if you include Padraig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Saw the interview, there was no joking he was deadly serious
    By his logic Jack could be favourite for the next few majors as he's won more than anyone else over the last 40 yrs
    Padraig fails to remember the ****e he's being playing the last 2 yrs plus that have seen him slide down the world rankings

I suppose my thing is why remember back 5 yrs why not go on what's more current i.e. last years golf

Would his golf from 2010 on make him a favourite to have no card in 2014 ?

soundsham wrote: »
    Saw the interview, there was no joking he was deadly serious
    By his logic Jack could be favourite for the next few majors as he's won more than anyone else over the last 40 yrs
    Padraig fails to remember the ****e he's being playing the last 2 yrs plus that have seen him slide down the world rankings

I suppose my thing is why remember back 5 yrs why not go on what's more current i.e. last years golf

Would his golf from 2010 on make him a favourite to have no card in 2014 ?

I still think this is a complete fuss about nothing.

Regarding your question, the answer is obviously no. First of all, he has life membership in the European Tour to play whatever events he wants for the rest of his career. As for the US Tour, as disappointing as his form has been for the last couple of years, he was nowhere near the cut-off for losing his card in any year. He has already won over $500k in the first few months of 2012 so "bad" form is relative really, isn't it?

I may be wrong but the general mood here seems to be that Harri should, for some reason, accept that he's played crap for last 2/3 years and see sense! Don't see how this could help him. You certainly won't hear Bob Rotella suggesting such a thing. It may sound illogical to normal folk to hear PH talking about how he's playing great and 'just waiting for it all to come together' any day now. But this year alone he has shot 61 and finished T8 at the Masters. I think his approach is spot on, to be honest. More importantly, it's the approach he's always taken, from day one. As Rotella says when explaining his take on 'acceptance' - the golfing mind is an illogical one.

But how can you expect to improve when you, apparently, don't think that improvement is needed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

he's peddling backwards with his game
    he's obviously got mental blocks....anyone can tell you that.
    he'll be out of the top 100 within the next few weeks

• Advertisement

But how can you expect to improve when you, apparently, don't think that improvement is needed?

I'm not suggesting that no improvement is needed. Obviously it is. I'm making the point, and the same one that any golf psychologist would make, that it's definitely not going to help by accepting, 'Yes, I have played ****e in the last three years, those guys on the forum are right, I actually don't have a chance of winning'. He'll end up like Garcia if he goes down that route.

Bottom line for me, is that I wouldn't argue with the strategy taken by a guy who was within a couple of putts of winning the Masters only two weekends ago.

I'm not suggesting that no improvement is needed. Obviously it is. I'm making the point, and the same one that any golf psychologist would make, that it's definitely not going to help by accepting, 'Yes, I have played ****e in the last three years, those guys on the forum are right, I actually don't have a chance of winning'. He'll end up like Garcia if he goes down that route.

Bottom line for me, is that I wouldn't argue with the strategy taken by a guy who was within a couple of putts of winning the Masters only two weekends ago.

I can't argue with this part.

Now that's really twisting things. If you've ever listened to him talk, everything he's ever done is done with the aim of constant improvement. He's one of those who believes you never stop learning.

If you compare his attitude to Sergio Garcia's, I know which I would most admire. Sergio openly said he has no chance of winning a Major. Maybe he thinks this will ease the pressure somehow but it's hard to see any positives out of a statement like that. These things tend to have a self-fulfilling element to them. If and when Padraig wins again, it's probably just as likely to be a Major as a regular tour event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Just watched him on the Late Late Show there. He really is a class act that fella.

No bull****, no ego, just a straight talking down to earth guy.

Very interesting to listen to aswell...

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭AldilaMan

Just watched him on the Late Late Show there. He really is a class act that fella.

No bull****, no ego, just a straight talking down to earth guy.

Very interesting to listen to aswell...

Thanks for reminding me. Just watched it now (SkyPlus). You're bang on - what a nice genuine guy with no crap about himself. I know I've been frustrated by his tinkering and psyco babble in the past but I do have great time for him.

Pure gent

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

must wait for the RTE player so, not pushed on the rest of the show!!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

Just watched it on player and the quote below sums him up. Really hopes he can get another win this year
    AldilaMan wrote: »
    Pure gent

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I haven't seen it yet but I was reading the thread on the television forum and it was ridiculous to see people complaining about him being boring and all that nonsense.

He is probably our most successful sports star ever, and one of our very few truly world class athletes. He also comes across as one of the nicest guys around.

I remember at the WGC in Mount Juliet in '04 he gave a golf ball to a different young lad on a few of the holes on the back nine on the Saturday. My brother managed to get one off of him.

For him to even take the time to think about some child on the side of the course and give him a ball when he could have walked on and ignored them shows his class. Especially when he was only 2/3 shots off the lead in one of the biggest tournaments in the world at the time.

He stayed and signed posters and hats (but no golf balls) until everyone had gotten an autograph. He deserves all the praise in the world, and I really hope he pushes on and challenges in the majors again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Ryan:rolleyes:, asked him if he thinks he has another major in him and he replied dead seriously by saying that he thinks he has a couple of majors left in him.. Great answer, and whats better is he believes it.

I haven't seen it yet but I was reading the thread on the television forum and it was ridiculous to see people complaining about him being boring and all that nonsense.

He is probably our most successful sports star ever, and one of our very few truly world class athletes. He also comes across as one of the nicest guys around.

I remember at the WGC in Mount Juliet in '04 he gave a golf ball to a different young lad on a few of the holes on the back nine on the Saturday. My brother managed to get one off of him.

For him to even take the time to think about some child on the side of the course and give him a ball when he could have walked on and ignored them shows his class. Especially when he was only 2/3 shots off the lead in one of the biggest tournaments in the world at the time.

He stayed and signed posters and hats (but no golf balls) until everyone had gotten an autograph. He deserves all the praise in the world, and I really hope he pushes on and challenges in the majors again this year.

I can't agree with this.

I like him, am proud of his achievements and really hope he wins more majors.

However, he seems to have a chip on his shoulder lately and the couple of times that i have met him I found him to be very rude. I hope I'm making sense here...Im sure he's a nice guy, but he doesn't come across as the nicest guy lately.

• Advertisement

Whether you like Harrington or not you have to say that he manages the media and his own public profile very cleverly. His Journey to the Open book summed it up - each of his golf writer buddies got to write a chapter each.

People who know him well say he can be very annoying when debating a point. Apparently he never lets up, even if he knows he's wrong. Personally, I like him. He's a very interesting character. A lot going on in that head.

Could this ben Harrington's week? Off to a great start in the Players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Jaysus - he's only played four holes!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭the anser

He usually does get off to a great start (holds record for lowest opening round this year on PGA- 61) .....its the following 3 days that present the problem!!!

haha...just trying to say something positive about the guy - And he's all the way back to level now haha. Sorry for cursing ya buddy!

As a fan, I was a bit worried to hear him admit for the first time recently that he is not far off the yips with his putter - the heebie jeebies was his term, but amounts to the same thing. For a guy who trades on confidence, or the projection of it at least, it was a startling admission. Very interested to see how he putts this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

-3 standing on 17th tee, seems to be playing well from tee to green.
    Mixed bag with the putter as we've seen all season, has missed 4 putts in the 5/6 feet range so far today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Finished -3, seemed to be playing well after a quick look on shot tracker. Putter left him down a small bit. In the top 10 though so far so a good days work by all accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MungoMan

Paddy's had a rough day today and he'll have the weekend off.

As a fan, I feel the same way as someone who supports a premiership team who are doing badly (time for a new manager)......

I'd love to see him try a new caddy.

Ronan has done a fantastic job, but he's been on the bag too long surely.

Paddy had fantastic form under his previous caddy (McNeilly or whatever his name was), but after a few years, he freshened things up, surely time to consider doing the same again.

There must be over familiarity between caddy and player after 6 years together, there has to be.
    I'd like to see him with someone who doesnt know him so well, just a new trial.......a sort of a new beginning

What other players keep the same caddy for longer than 6 years, I dont know the figures. All I know is that if I was a gifted golfer, I wouldnt want the same caddy for longer than a couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Wouldn't say its a weekend off just yet. Down to 71 and ties down Webb Simpson.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement