Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

mafc wrote: »
    I'm about to lose control and I think I like it ....

Hope Padraig doesnt loose control when he gets back out!! Slow and steady now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Only one player under par for the 3rd round so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Play suspended due to lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

Not looking good for coverage tonight boys. Suspension of play already and horrendous forecast on the horizon

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

It has been a long time since we watched Harrington in contention. It is quite unbelievable how far a player of his quality has slipped in the world rankings. I'm really looking forward to see how his game holds up to the pressure. Competing on a great course in a top tournament against a top class field will do wonders for his confidence. Really hope this is the start of some good things to come - he deserves some more good times given the work he has put into his game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Go to play 9.
    Finish up. It is like it is 2007 when I look up scores.
    is genuinely exciting.

Hopefully he wasn't leaderboard nerves at end.

Anyway a par round will do in Rd 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Reading tweets like the one below feels good! :pac:

https://twitter.com/golf_com/status/571738889725054976

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

The conditions are horrendous on really tough course. Surely he has a huge chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

What are the rules re tournaments being cancelled after 36 holes? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SevesThreeIron

The weather delays seem to suit Harri - last win in US (08 PGA) and his last actual win, in Indonesia, were weather delayed. Could be clutching at straws!

• Advertisement

Not great as money win reduced . I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Anyone know how to fix a laptop, mine is showing Harrington on top of a leaderboard

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

Needs to complete 54 holes to get full world ranking points etc anything less and it's only half as far as i know

Can't see then getting out today all pics etc on twitter are pretty dismal looking for more golf today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Not great as money win reduced . I think.

a 50 percent reduction would still be quite nice for Padraig in that scenario :D

Am I right in thinking the prize money is over a million dollars for the winner - total prize fund 6 million dollars????

Incidentally a 36 round tournament was exactly what happened in Portugal the week over the Dunhill due to weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Good luck, Pahd-rag (best US commentator voice). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭abff

On the European Tour, they reduce prize money by 25%, but I think they still award full world ranking points. I don't know if a similar rule applies on the PGA Tour.

As a huge PH fan, if someone offered me the chance of declaring the tournament finished after 36 holes, it would take me about one nanosecond to accept the offer!

I didn't want to go on about ridiculous prize money.

But someone else did.

I don't want to ask.
    But how much do you need to win in US to get full card ?

But someone else did.

I don't want to ask.

My apologies :(

Wasn't meant as a criticism of the prize money on offer - more noting that even if it was reduced by 50 percent in the event of a 36 hole tournament - it would still be a nice sum.

Personally given the nature of the game and how hard it is to actually do well in it - I think pro golfers are FULL value for whatever prize money they can manage to win.

Now soccer wages on the other hand - id be here for the week if I started ranting about that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Based on the vids Ian Poulter has been posting its pretty damn rough weather over there right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,189 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

But someone else did.

I don't want to ask.

Somewhere in the region of $320,000 gets you through.

• Advertisement

gladrags wrote: »
    So if Paddy wins on 36 holes,what happens if you had a flutter.?

Good question actually!

To those who would like to see Paddy declared the winner after 36, do you know think mentally Padraig wouldn't feel he'd won at all and he would nearly be better off playing the final two rounds and maybe just losing out to a good performance from someone else. At least that way he'd know he's capable of going toe to toe with the best for four rounds again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 9to5

Good question actually!

To those who would like to see Paddy declared the winner after 36, do you know think mentally Padraig wouldn't feel he'd won at all and he would nearly be better off playing the final two rounds and maybe just losing out to a good performance from someone else. At least that way he'd know he's capable of going toe to toe with the best for four rounds again.

If he's changed his approach (some of the talk here re JP etc having a stern talking to etc, and talking with Cowen and relaxing a bit more) then YES take the win after 36! It will give him great confidence. I truly hope he can embrace a more relaxed attitude for a few years. I believe he needs to give responsibility for his coaching over to someone and just let it happen. Can he do that? I hope so cos it could get exciting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Based on the vids Ian Poulter has been posting its pretty damn rough weather over there right now.

Yeah fairly rough - unfortunately I don't think there will be any more golf today.

Edit- Play has just been called for the day.. try again tomorrow.

Good question actually!

I understand your point completely (I think) - and its a good one.

My own thinking however - is that I want Padraig leaving the golf course feeling he did the best job he could.

My concern is that if he struggles in the next two rounds - the benefit of the outstanding performance of the last few days - its lost.

That's because - its potentially all too easy for him to focus on a problematical final two rounds - and how a good outcome was lost - rather then focus on the positives that he had a game good enough to lead at half way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

The forecast is good for tomorrow so no way this is only going to be a 36 hole event. There will be one more round so Paddy will have to go out there and do the business tomorrow

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    The forecast is good for tomorrow so no way this is only going to be a 36 hole event. There will be one more round so Paddy will have to go out there and do the business tomorrow

Is it possible that they might continue to Monday for a 4th round - or is it shut up shop tomorrow after 3rd round????

They did mention earlier that with no pro am on Wednesday next week it would be possible to go into Monday for this one.

I presume that having started the 3rd round, they will have to play on in 3 balls from a two tee start rather than start from scratch tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Old diesel wrote: »
    Is it possible that they might continue to Monday for a 4th round - or is it shut up shop tomorrow after 3rd round????

I'd say it should go to a Monday finish if needed, this is a big tournament with a big sponsor. Having said that it's a WGC event next week but they're both in Florida so shouldn't be an issue.

• Advertisement

abff wrote: »
    On the European Tour, they reduce prize money by 25%, but I think they still award full world ranking points. I don't know if a similar rule applies on the PGA Tour.

As a huge PH fan, if someone offered me the chance of declaring the tournament finished after 36 holes, it would take me about one nanosecond to accept the offer!

Out of interest, I had a look at the OWGR results for last year's Portugal masters, which was reduced to 36 holes. It looks as if Alexander Levy received the full 24 points that were available to the winner.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement