Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

I'm just happy to see Padraig making cuts and competing again. He won a few weeks ago, so all in all, he has made progress so far this season.
    He's also in a decent position to push for the tournament tomorrow, so let's not be so pessimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I don't think it's anything to do with fitness. He was missing 3 footers at the start of the day and missing them at the end of the day.

When he leaves any sort of short putt for himself you can see his heart sinking by the look on his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

ForeRight wrote:
    When he leaves any sort of short putt for himself you can see his heart sinking by the look on his face.

he couldn't hide his disappointment/shock when missing the 4 footers.
    Anyway, we live in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Old diesel wrote: »
    The results I believe would go back to the last full round played - if play had to be abandoned during a round.

I'd defo take that right now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I'd say he was knackered by the time the last few holes came around last night. Hopefully he re-groups and gets going again today.

• Advertisement

vienne86 wrote: »
    I'd say he was knackered by the time the last few holes came around last night. Hopefully he re-groups and gets going again today.

I think there's no doubt that he was physically and emotionally knackered.we have to remember that even being in contention in a big tournament is emotionally draining and in the 3rd Round to go from leading to falling out of contention only to battle on the back nine to stay in touch must have taken a lot out of him emotionally.it was a big ask for him,with all the factors considered, to head out again with such a short turn around and keep it going to a high standard.I don't think it was the same for others for the simple reason that they are all competitive on a regular basis and had athe bit between their teeth....this has been a massive leap forward and we shouldn't under estimate the emotional and physical impact it's having.physical fitness doesn't really come into it....just my take on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    I think there's no doubt that he was physically and emotionally knackered.we have to remember that even being in contention in a big tournament is emotionally draining and in the 3rd Round to go from leading to falling out of contention only to battle on the back nine to stay in touch must have taken a lot out of him emotionally.it was a big ask for him,with all the factors considered, to head out again with such a short turn around and keep it going to a high standard.I don't think it was the same for others for the simple reason that they are all competitive on a regular basis and had athe bit between their teeth....this has been a massive leap forward and we shouldn't under estimate the emotional and physical impact it's having.physical fitness doesn't really come into it....just my take on it..

Completely agree. I'd say there was a natural release of tension and anxiety at the 18th as well, that just comes with completing a round. Any of us here that play golf will know it can be much more tiring because you need to concentrate for so long. After finishing the round I'd say he struggled to get back in 'the zone' whereas the others may not have found it so hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

MarcusP12 wrote: »

Id say that's pretty spot on tbh

I hope he can go out with a positive attitude today - on the basis that hes made progress this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

In fairness - 18 was a brilliant par - watching it there again.

Would have loved if he went to bed then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newport2

Id say that's pretty spot on tbh

I hope he can go out with a positive attitude today - on the basis that hes made progress this week.

That and the fact he's 4 off the lead with 11 holes to go. Only 3 players are more than a shot ahead of him. I hope he goes out with a very positive attitude. He should know more than anyone that it's not over yet.

In Pod we trust......

• Advertisement

newport2 wrote: »
    That and the fact he's 4 off the lead with 11 holes to go. Only 3 players are more than a shot ahead of him. I hope he goes out with a very positive attitude. He should know more than anyone that it's not over yet.

In Pod we trust......

I'd love to see what would happen if he was two shots off the lead coming to the last. Guarantee ye he wouldn't hit the water then!

I think it would be useful for him to see today as a building block on a journey of what will hopefully be improvement going forward.

A case of looking to build on the positives of the week

I'd love if he could get a par - bird - par to start - would keep him somewhat in it. With trap to come.

I feel sadly for Paddy

There are too many above him now - too many above, means one or two will go low - so feel last night cost him his chance.

I'd love if he could get a par - bird - par to start - would keep him somewhat in it. With trap to come.

I feel sadly for Paddy

There are too many above him now - too many above, means one or two will go low - so feel last night cost him his chance.

Id be delighted if he managed to stay in the top 10

Even top 20 would be very good I think

Its asking a lot of him I think to deliver a very good rest of the final round.

What id like is for him to be able to work away from the week feeling that progress was made.

I know progress was made - I want PADRAIG to walk away knowing this

What id like is for him to be able to work away from the week feeling that progress was made.

But lets be honest for a second.

Outside top 10 would be a disaster from where he was.

Yes - the positives and all that - but , can't see anyone (even him or Bob) - looking past how basically a top 3 was as close to a sure thing there.

Poor putting and just the odd mental lapse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I think top 20 would be a disappointment to be honest given he was 3 shots clear coming to the end of the second round. While there is pressure on him tonight I feel this is a tournament he really has to cash in on the position he is in and make the most of it.

From his current position he is only going to move to 151 in the Fed-Ex cup rankings. Chances like this might not present themselves too much in the coming weeks so when he is up there he has to grasp it with both hands.

Every spot he can finish up the leader board will have huge implications to his world ranking and everything else.

But lets be honest for a second.

Outside top 10 would be a disaster from where he was.

Yes - the positives and all that - but , can't see anyone (even him or Bob) - looking past how basically a top 3 was as close to a sure thing there.

Poor putting and just the odd mental lapse.

A disaster from where he was and is in this event.

But even the fact that he was in "a top 3 was as close to a sure thing there" situation is in itself a positive based on where he was BEFORE this event.

There are THINGS to work on - you've hightlighted them in your post.

Don't get me wrong I WANT him to finish as far up the leaderboard as he can.

But I want him to build on this - not get caught up in the negative aspects of how "he should have had a top 3 but failed".

He needs to work on the issues from last night - but id expect him and Bob to actually do this anyway

What time is Harrington heading out at today?

Basically - wed have bitten the hand off for a top 20 finish this day last week.

Especially given that this was a stronger field then hes faced previously

That's what I meant by top 20 being a very good result.

What time is Harrington heading out at today?

Play begins at 8am local time, so just over an hour from now.

• Advertisement

pistol_75 wrote: »
    I think top 20 would be a disappointment to be honest given he was 3 shots clear coming to the end of the second round. While there is pressure on him tonight I feel this is a tournament he really has to cash in on the position he is in and make the most of it.

From his current position he is only going to move to 151 in the Fed-Ex cup rankings. Chances like this might not present themselves too much in the coming weeks so when he is up there he has to grasp it with both hands.

Every spot he can finish up the leader board will have huge implications to his world ranking and everything else.

I was trying to be objective rather then just how I feel.

Objectively its good based on where he was BEFORE this event.

Based on this event - id feel disappointed with "only" a top 20.

He DOES need to make the most of it I agree - but I feel its asking a lot of him.

I fear he could drop shots rather then gain them - the potential scenarios you've outlined actually add to his pressure imo

Not sure how it all will pan out - feeling nervous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭ronjo

You can really feel how desperate everyone is for him to do well.

I support Arsenal so between them winning and the rugby result I should have been happy but I genuinely felt quite down last night going to bed as he slipped down the leaderboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

live on sky from 1pm i think..

Yeah I know Sky are starting live coverage at 1 alright, wasn't sure if that was earlier groups but just thinking about it now everyone is already out on the course so everyone will start at the same time.

I was trying to be objective rather then just how I feel.

Objectively its good based on where he was BEFORE this event.

Based on this event - id feel disappointed with "only" a top 20.

He DOES need to make the most of it I agree - but I feel its asking a lot of him.

I fear he could drop shots rather then gain them - the potential scenarios you've outlined actually add to his pressure imo

Not sure how it all will pan out - feeling nervous

I agree with you on this one. I have heard him say before he has a win or nothing type of mentality, if he doesn't win he doesn't care where he finishes.

That might have been fine in the past but for where he is at now every position does matter, especially when at the top end of the field.

Let's hope the putter behaves today.

Whatever happens today - I really hope he can build on what hes done in this event

I just want this round to be OVER - safe and sound

In many ways how he drives on and builds on this event - in terms of future performances - is actually more important then the result today.

As mentioned the result today is IMPORTANT - higher position on leaderboard means more cash, more world ranking points - and COULD help sponsors invitations for future events - which themselves could present more opportunities for him if he performs well

But thinking of a top 20 as a disaster for Padraig is quite a turnaround from where he was previous to THIS event.

I just hope he goes out as positive as possible and does the best he can - what happens after that - who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

He has faired better on the back 9 holes where others have struggled the last couple rounds so hopefully more of the same today.

Definitely loads of positives from this week so no matter what happens he has done well and it give him some confidence for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,189 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

He's gonna win it today with an eagle on 18... His 2nd will skim off the water and hop up onto the green leaving him an easy 15 footer (as opposed to a nasty 4 footer) that he'll sink.

All around him will crumble.

Com'on Paddy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Left semi rough with his opening tee shot, not a breath of breeze out there

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Whatever happens today - I really hope he can build on what hes done in this event

I just want this round to be OVER - safe and sound

In many ways how he drives on and builds on this event - in terms of future performances - is actually more important then the result today.

As mentioned the result today is IMPORTANT - higher position on leaderboard means more cash, more world ranking points - and COULD help sponsors invitations for future events - which themselves could present more opportunities for him if he performs well

But thinking of a top 20 as a disaster for Padraig is quite a turnaround from where he was previous to THIS event.

I just hope he goes out as positive as possible and does the best he can - what happens after that - who knows

I think the reality is that IF Paddy slides a bit further and finishes outside the top 10 then we are all going to be gutted in the context of where he was after 34 holes. However, with that old chestnut "mature reflection", when the dust settles we will all consider it to be a big step forward in term of his competitiveness. It will take a serious collapse from here to take anything but positives from the week and Lord knows none of us wants that (even First up i would say !! hehe!) We could put it down to the messiness of the final two rounds play in terms of how if affected his overall game...who knows....but fingers crossed for the moment that he'll build his position back up and finish strongly....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement