Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

I don't know why but I have a feeling that PH is going to have a really good tournament soon. He's playing well tee to green and he can't keep missing the putts. Added him to my Fantasy Golf Team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Seves Three Iron

doomed wrote: »
    I don't know why but I have a feeling that PH is going to have a really good tournament soon. He's playing well tee to green and he can't keep missing the putts. Added him to my Fantasy Golf Team.

I agree his long game is decent tho driving is, as ever, dodgy. Also agree he can win tomoro if his head is in the rite place. But, overall, I wouldnt bet a dime on him. Hate to say it but what's made him great - his mind - is what's holding him back now. Tough to get that right. Generally, I don't think he's talented enough to win when not performing at 90% or better and at the moment he must be about 65% at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I agree his long game is decent tho driving is, as ever, dodgy. Also agree he can win tomoro if his head is in the rite place. But, overall, I wouldnt bet a dime on him. Hate to say it but what's made him great - his mind - is what's holding him back now. Tough to get that right. Generally, I don't think he's talented enough to win when not performing at 90% or better and at the moment he must be about 65% at best.

His driving accuracy this year is 60%. That's higher than both his major winning years.

It still equates to 84th position which is hardly stellar. Followed him around the British Open last year - which admittedly was last July - and he hardly hit a fairway over the two days. The image of him finishing so badly with those awful drives at the 18th in Fancourt in January is still strong as well. All of that said, I think he could get away with it if his putting was on. As you say, he didn't need a great driving accuracy percentage to win his majors. When he won the USPGA he nailed mid length putts on 16, 17 and 18 so I suppose it all does come down to the flat stick. When Bernard Langer had a word in his ear at the Masters it did the trick so it would seem to be all about getting his mind right, no great revelation there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

It still equates to 84th position which is hardly stellar. Followed him around the British Open last year - which admittedly was last July - and he hardly hit a fairway over the two days. The image of him finishing so badly with those awful drives at the 18th in Fancourt in January is still strong as well. All of that said, I think he could get away with it if his putting was on. As you say, he didn't need a great driving accuracy percentage to win his majors. When he won the USPGA he nailed mid length putts on 16, 17 and 18 so I suppose it all does come down to the flat stick. When Bernard Langer had a word in his ear at the Masters it did the trick so it would seem to be all about getting his mind right, no great revelation there.

He was 154th and 174th in 2007 and 2008 in driving accuracy on the pga tour. Last year he was down to ~53% driving accuracy so he undoubtedly had a bad driving year last year...the 18th in Fancourt is a very difficult driving hole with ~250 carry over a ravine off the back tee. You don't have to me more than 20-25 yards offline right to lose a ball (I've played it)

• Advertisement

Not sure if we're agreeing or disagreeing here! Anyhow, I hope he gets his head together and finds a bit of good form with the putter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

The short stick is definitely the key,his long game was never very reliable but when putting I can still see his face willing those putts in. I imagine Sergio does too.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Paddy five under after 11 in Byron Nelson.

Great stuff - hopefully he can put a strong finish with the strong start this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

Just had a dirty double on 12, now back to 3 under. I hope he doesn't let it slip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Ah jaysus...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Finished -2, could have been a lot better but for a couple of loose shots coming in.

Still well placed though and his putting seems to be back to a reasonable standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Early start today, should get in with a decent round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

"should"

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭AldilaMan

"should"

But "wont"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newport2

could

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

will (positive thoughts folks)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Currently -3 (-1) today after 5 holes, started on 10th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

John Duggan tipped him so he more than likely won't even place this week. That Duggan really hasn't a clue how to tip a golfer.

He's obsessed with players who "had a good final round last week"... It's all well and good getting a good final round when your 12 shots off the lead and under no pressure.

He tipped JJ henry as well this week for God's sake.

One off the lead.

Holes 4 to 9 yesterday PH was -5. I'll take a bet he'll be over par for that stretch today.

• Advertisement

AldilaMan wrote: »
    Holes 4 to 9 yesterday PH was -5. I'll take a bet he'll be over par for that stretch today.

Stop!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 brianodub

John Duggan tipped him so he more than likely won't even place this week. That Duggan really hasn't a clue how to tip a golfer.

He's obsessed with players who "had a good final round last week"... It's all well and good getting a good final round when your 12 shots off the lead and under no pressure.

True, and he tries SOOOO hard!

PGA leaderboard and Shottracker stopped updating???? 16.03 last updated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Working for me. PH on the par 4 6th (his 15th), and hits one out 298 yards into the centre of the fairway. He's -1 today and -3 overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Trigger13222

AldilaMan wrote: »

Wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 square leg

finished -3

Wrong.

I was 1 shot out but yes I was wrong you're so right

newport2 wrote: »
    PGA leaderboard and Shottracker stopped updating???? 16.03 last updated

You did say stop!! earlier. Shottracker must have been listening to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Harrington is pretty boring today. 12 holes, 11 pars, 1 birdie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

No matter how things finish up tonight, I think you probably owe John Duggan an apology!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement