Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Would be great to see him contend this evening but a Top 5 finish would be fantastic for him. I haven't seen much coverage of him but does anyone know if he sorted out his putting from 6 foot in? He's had this terrible habit of coming up very early on putts...can't understand how he's let it go on so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭abff

madds wrote: »
    I haven't seen much coverage of him but does anyone know if he sorted out his putting from 6 foot in?

I've just gone through his scorecard on Shot Tracker and his stats for the first 54 holes are as follows:

Under 4 feet: 29/30
    4-6 feet: 10/12

He sank 10 putts over 6 feet and had two chip ins (one was a putt from the fringe). He's had 82 putts in total, including one 3 putt (where he left a 52 foot putt 5 feet short). He sank a couple of long ones yesterday (31 feet and 25 feet).

Overall his putting looks in pretty good shape and he's had a lot of long putts that he has left very close to the hole. But I still feel nervous when I see him standing over anything in the 3 to 6 foot range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

-2 for his 12 holes today, 3 off the lead. Very bunched though at the top, if it wasnt for that dreadful first 5 holes yesterday he'd be battling Rory for this title.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Any idea why this in't being shown live?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Any idea why this in't being shown live?
    Play began early today so probably the reason.

http://tourreport.pgatour.com/2012/06/09/early-tee-times-for-final-round-weather/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Another what might have been week for PH, plenty of birdies but to many bogeys. -3 for the week when he could have been in the mix for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Bogeys the final hole to cost him a top 10. Another weak weekend performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

"I had two four-putts and a three-putt, two stubbed chips from the edge of the green," Harrington said. "That’s a lot of shots. I don’t think, I can’t remember ever having a four-putt and I had two of them today."

He putted a lot better yesterday. I stayed up until 3 to watch the finish and he was interviewed just before the end of the program.

He seems in good form and I hope this follows through to the weekend. I think winning it might be a bit of a stretch, but here's hoping he makes top 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Hope he can feature in the top ten, he needs a strong finish to push for the Ryder Cup...

• Advertisement

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Hope he can feature in the top ten, he needs a strong finish to push for the Ryder Cup...

I think he needs to qualify as I can't see Olazabal giving him a wild card. At this stage, he'll probably need to win a major to get in or at least have a couple of high finishes in majors and a couple of wins in other tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

Mashed Potatoes!

Typical PH. Plays fantastic golf then goes for broke at the last and bogeys. Costs him 21.73 world ranking points and around $400,000 in prize money.

Great to see him playing so well, but I hope that doesn't end up costing him a Ryder Cup place.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

abff wrote: »
    Typical PH. Plays fantastic golf then goes for broke at the last and bogeys. Costs him 21.73 world ranking points and around $400,000 in prize money.

Great to see him playing so well, but I hope that doesn't end up costing him a Ryder Cup place.
    Wtf?
    When he was playing the last hole @ +2, the early clubhouse lead was +2 but the on-course lead was even par with enough players in the mix for him to assume that +2 wasn't going to be enough. Of course he was gunning for the outright leader in the clubhouse rather than settling - that has been his style throughout his career and has been noticeable before in majors.
    I didn't get to see any of the golf and was trying to follow it on a dodgy Internet connection but it looked like another legendary performance to me. (of course it's disappointing to lose out on the 2nd place points and money but such is life - its not quite the same as letting the lead slip imo so I don't mind it).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭big_drive

He seemed to like the challenge of a hard course.

Hopefully a win is not too far away now!

Wtf?
    When he was playing the last hole @ +2, the early clubhouse lead was +2 but the on-course lead was even par with enough players in the mix for him to assume that +2 wasn't going to be enough. Of course he was gunning for the outright leader in the clubhouse rather than settling - that has been his style throughout his career and has been noticeable before in majors.
    I didn't get to see any of the golf and was trying to follow it on a dodgy Internet connection but it looked like another legendary performance to me. (of course it's disappointing to lose out on the 2nd place points and money but such is life - its not quite the same as letting the lead slip imo so I don't mind it).

Don't get me wrong. I'm a huge fan.

I understand why he did it, I'm just frustrated at the outcome and the fact that it cost him so much in terms of both ranking points and official earnings in a Ryder Cup season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Harry's goal is to win majors, doesn't need the money.

For my mind, this shows how truly class a player he is, that's T-8th at the Masters, and T-4th here at the US Open. Olazabal will want him in the team but probably needs a regular tournament victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

ssbob wrote: »

For my mind, this shows how truly class a player he is, that's T-8th at the Masters, and T-4th here at the US Open. Olazabal will want him in the team but probably needs a regular tournament victory.
    No he won't unless he can sort his putting
    That's what cost him over the 4 days again

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

Excellent effort by PH. Hopefully a big win isn't far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

My money is going on him for The Brittish Open :)

• Advertisement

IrishHomer wrote: »
    My money is going on him for The British Open :)

Mine too.

As regards the Ryder Cup, I would lay long odds against him getting a captain's pick from Olazabal. I think Olazabal still harbours a grudge over the putt incident in their drawn match in the Seve trophy a number of years back. And I think there may be other history there too, but I can't remember what.

I also take the point about the putting and his recent Ryder Cup record has been pretty poor so Olly will feel quite justified excluding him even if he's playing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newport2

ssbob wrote: »

+1

Harrington went for the flag, because he thought a par would not be enough to win. This turned out to be true, so correct decision on his part. The shot just didn't come off, which happens to the best of players.

A great performance, the last hole just didn't work out. Haven't seen the stats, but he seemed to putt his best on Sunday when under pressure. Few really good putts on the back nine which didn't drop.

newport2 wrote: »
    +1

Harrington went for the flag, because he thought a par would not be enough to win. This turned out to be true, so correct decision on his part. The shot just didn't come off, which happens to the best of players.

A great performance, the last hole just didn't work out. Haven't seen the stats, but he seemed to putt his best on Sunday when under pressure. Few really good putts on the back nine which didn't drop.

Having had time to reflect on it, I have to admit that it's great to see him with such a positive mind set. Instead of settling for a high finish, he went for the WIN. All he needs now is a bit of luck at the right time.

Another Irish Open/Open Championship double would be just the ticket.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

Great result, pity about the last but in fairness he did well to get the 5 and that chip in on the 13th was very fortunate. You get the feeling he really needs to win a tournament soon. He said in his interview after that he wished he could play in majors every week because they're more like a marathon whereas normal tournaments if your not 4 under after the first 9 in the opening round your out of contention. He needs a win soon because he's starting to doubt himself more and more. A good run at the Fedexcup would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Up to 75 in World Rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Good to see that he has reversed his fall down the rankings, up from 94.

Great to see him competing again, going for it especially at the 18th.

He had long birdie putts on 11 and 12 which stopped in the jaws of the cup, if they had fell he could have won. It's the par putt on 14 that saved his round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Busy few weeks coming up for him now. He's playing the Travellers this week in America, followed by the Irish Open the week after. Week off during the French then playing the Scottish Open and British Open.

Have to say i fancy him to pick up a win in one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

I'd bet my left nut Padraig will win a major this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Two links tourneys before the Open looks like good prep. Think he is close to a win.
    mike

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Delighted for him. I thought he was goosed mentally.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement