Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Ok, lets not discuss his rounds in a thread created for that very purpose!

It's the OTT reaction to a bad round. Talk of the yips etc two weeks after winning a big tournament is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    It's the OTT reaction to a bad round. Talk of the yips etc is ridiculous

Nobody is saying his game is gone because of this round. Like I said earlier, how he hit it today was never going to be a worry as coming off the high of a win can be difficult. However I did say one damaging thing that could happen would be a poor putting display. Unfortunately today was an exceptionally bad day on the greens. Had he made all the 4 footers (which isnt exactly inconceivable) he'd be 7 shots better posting 2 under. In his press conference after the Honda he acknowledged the fact that on the sunday he was very "iffy" over his short putts and was trying to convince himself the yips werent back. Then, thankfully, he seemingly holed everything on the back 9 on Monday.

The putting has been the biggest contributor to Harro's poor form over the past 3 years in particular. His game is good enough to contend as we now know, but its days like today that can add mental scartissue to an already fragile putting game.

I'm certainly not over reacting and thinking the dream is over. I'd sum this round up with mild concern over his putting display. He'll spend all evening on the putting greens I'd imagine and try to build confidence tomorrow. If he holes a few early, he could still make the cut!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

One off last place, just John Daly behind him, still 5 Majors between them!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Sorry chaps - I may have over reacted.

I just want him to do well for HIM.

I like the guy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I didn't follow his progress today, but it seems to have been a poor round. Well, coming off the win was always going to be difficult. Let's hope he perks up tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

I'm not trying to be dramatic here at all & it's fantastic he just won. I'd just take issue though with the idea it was going to be hard to play after winning. I'd say it'd be reasonable to say it would be hard to play after badly missing the cut. If you're not going to feel good about playing after winning, when the hell are you going to feel good? Not saying it's the case here but it'd be a lapse into neurotic perverse trains of thought to feel bad & under pressure after a good tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Hopefully he can put in a good round tomorrow. Where about will be the cut mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭abff

Reading this thread can be a bit like watching an episode of the 1960s TV program Lost In Space. There was a robot that used to whirl around in circles shouting "Danger, Danger" every time the family was threatened.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Eaglebridie 32

h2005 wrote: »
    Hopefully he can put in a good round tomorrow. Where about will be the cut mark?

Given conditions the same as today, most probably even par so would be really up against it I think

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

He said in his pre tournament blog that he only arrived back in the US on Tuesday evening. I'd imagine he hasn't been as unprepared for a tournament in a long time with a week or so off and we know he likes to practice :pac:

Perhaps if he hadn't just won one of the bigger PGA tour events on the calendar then there may be some cause for concern for a +5 round but he has. Sure even Rory had a poor round early on last week. I wouldn't even be slightly concerned really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,181 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

abff wrote: »
    Reading this thread can be a bit like watching an episode of the 1960s TV program Lost In Space. There was a robot that used to whirl around in circles shouting "Danger, Danger" every time the family was threatened.

Think that robot needs some new diesel in it.
    I actually got a headache reading this thread earlier.

A player missing the cut after a big win is quite common and the alarm on here was baffling. Keymar crashed out of his home Open right after lifting the US Open last year is one example that stands out. There are many more. Top
    Golfers miss cuts week in week out.

Paddy is inconsistant.... really! Every golfer is.

As Paddy said a few weeks ago. It's important to enjoy the wins. I'll be enjoying that for the next year.

PARlance wrote: »
    Think that robot needs some new diesel in it.
    I actually got a headache reading this thread earlier.

A player missing the cut after a big win is quite common and the alarm on here was baffling. Keymar crashed out of his home Open right after lifting the US Open last year is one example that stands out. There are many more. Top
    Golfers miss cuts week in week out.

Paddy is inconsistant.... really! Every golfer is.

As Paddy said a few weeks ago. It's important to enjoy the wins. I'll be enjoying that for the next year.

Sorry about that :(:(:(

I just got a heart attack when someone mentioned "the yips"

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Steady start today. Birdied the first, bogeyed the fourth. Needs to shoot a 67 or better though to have a hope of making the cut.

Putting looks solid today with two six footers made (from shot tracker)

And a birdie on the 5th. Going in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭ronjo

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    Steady start today. Birdied the first, bogeyed the fourth. Needs to shoot a 67 or better though to have a hope of making the cut.

Putting looks solid today with two six footers made (from shot tracker)

Followed by another birdie.
    Its possible that +2 could make the cut the way its going.
    An outside chance still but he is in a better position than everyone finished for the day at +3 or worse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

He's some man for one man!!!

I don't trust shot tracker but this looks like a fairly good par :)

L2KPl5V.jpg

Sounds like a nice turnaround from yesterday.

Made a mistake in doubting the man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

I hope I'm wrong but I think paddy gave himself too much to do today with two doubles yesterday being the main blots on the copybook.the reality is if he manages to shoot 4 under,then the likelihood is the course is playing easy which means the general scoring will be good thus pushing the cut mark further away. Disappointing that he'll probably miss the cut barring a savage back nine and a collapse of the general field but I think he deserves a pass this week.I think the best outcome will be for him to shoot under par forth round and take that into the next tournament as a big plus.I'm sure he'll find it easy to put then1st round behind him.

BTW,when and where is he up next?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    I hope I'm wrong but I think paddy gave himself too much to do today with two doubles yesterday being the main blots on the copybook.the reality is if he manages to shoot 4 under,then the likelihood is the course is playing easy which means the general scoring will be good thus pushing the cut mark further away. Disappointing that he'll probably miss the cut barring a savage back nine and a collapse of the general field but I think he deserves a pass this week.I think the best outcome will be for him to shoot under par forth round and take that into the next tournament as a big plus.I'm sure he'll find it easy to put then1st round behind him.

BTW,when and where is he up next?
    Everyone is pretty much on the course already. He could shot three under today (don't think he will, but he could), the cut could move down to 2 over meaning a 3rd day cut as well!

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Everyone is pretty much on the course already. He could shot three under today (don't think he will, but he could), the cut could move down to 2 over meaning a 3rd day cut as well!

I'll probably jinx him here but after picking up a nice birdie on 9,I'd give him an outside chance of doing it....seems to be playing well and general scoring seems to be high enough...-2 certainly one of the better scores today so far....

• Advertisement

Hitting the ball well now. Getting near the pin each time, 17ft putt to go 2 over and 3 under for the day!

Old diesel wrote: »
    Sounds like a nice turnaround from yesterday.

Made a mistake in doubting the man

Don't be too hard on yourself,it's the nature of the paddy roller-coaster!

Ooo great effort, 3 inches from the hole and he put that in for par. Par 5 up next. If he hits the fairway he should get a birdie.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

From what I am seeing on TV, the greens are playing very fast. Seen four 3 putts in the last 15 mins. Padraigs putting seems to be a lot better paced than yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭independent11

Bogey on 15, that's it regarding any chance of making cut. Practice range for the next few days.

It's too big an ask for him to make the cut now, but good effort today. I would love him to have made the cut but I'm just relieved he seems to have bounced back today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Good score today in fairness. Very few people under par today and level par is a solid return.

Good score today in fairness. Very few people under par today and level par is a solid return.

Think he shot +1 actually. Still a decent round in today's conditions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

vienne86 wrote: »

Bogey on the last unfortunately.

• Advertisement

vienne86 wrote: »

Yes +1

Still a decent job today - was under par for a long period

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement