Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Double bogie here at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Triple bogey. :(

Shocker.

An otherwise lovely round hampered badly

Disappointed for him

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

No panic - , if he fet a bird or 2 coming in,

A top 10 is still on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

don't believe it, very disappointed for him.
    he'll keep going though.

• Advertisement

Another penalty shot on 6 by the looks of it. :(

Another penalty shot on 6 by the looks of it. :(

That was a mad one - as I was thinking at 135 out - he should ahve a bird chance.

Serious damage done in the last two holes, shame as he was just getting into it.

Hes had a nightmare two holes - but he needs to remember what he achieved BEFORE that - and try his best to rebuild

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Round was solid before those two holes, disappointed but hoping he'll steady the ship. Par 5 coming up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

who is Austin cook~!

Ruu wrote: »
    Round was solid before those two holes, disappointed but hoping he'll steady the ship. Par 5 coming up.

On which he's taken another 7.

6 shots gone in four holes. Wheels well and truly off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Not sure what happened on 8 but double bogie.

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    who is Austin cook~!

Monday qualifier, plays on the Adams Pro Tour apparently.

Nightmare

My concern wouldn't be the nightmare holes in themselves - but how he can get the head right mentally.

Obviously - hes completely out of contention now - but tomorrows round is now vital to get going right for Augusta.

Given the complete nightmare that's just unfolded - should he still go to Augusta - or am I completely over reacting

Old diesel wrote: »
    Nightmare

My concern wouldn't be the nightmare holes in themselves - but how he can get the head right mentally.

Obviously - hes completely out of contention now - but tomorrows round is now vital to get going right for Augusta.

Given the complete nightmare that's just unfolded - should he still go to Augusta - or am I completely over reacting

Over reacting.
    He was in 15th 1 hour ago - it happens.

Ruu wrote: »
    Not sure what happened on 8 but double bogie.

To me looking at the shot tracker - it looked like his 3rd shot may have gone past the hole and possibly into the water.

My computer froze then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SevesThreeIron

To me looking at the shot tracker - it looked like his 3rd shot may have gone past the hole and possibly into the water.

My computer froze then.

Ironically a 'control, alt, delete' may have helped both you and Padraig.

:) Sorry but had to have a little chuckle at that. Try telling Paddy he's not going to Augusta :D

What's really disappointing is that today's meltdown really did come out of nowhere, he'd been very solid today and all week to this point. Hopefully he'll put together a solid round tomorrow, move up the leaderboard a bit and keep things moving in the right direction.

Have to remember he played some really good stuff for 13 odd holes today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SevesThreeIron

My computer froze then.

Ironically a 'control, alt, delete' may have helped both you and Padraig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Nightmare

Just a teeny tiny bit perhaps :pac:

Remember when he won the Honda Classic a few weeks back? When he dropped back out of the mix at the end of round 3/start of round 4 before he had 4 consecutive birdies, blitzed the field and was leading again. Messed up on 17 before rallying with one of the greatest shots ever on the same just under an hour later.

That shows he's capable of moving on from mistakes. I wouldn't be at all worried, these things happen. Don't worry, be grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Has he been taking the scenic route again? Nothing about him on SS 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I haven't been watching this evening, but just looked at his card - two 7's.....uh oh. I really was hoping we would not see that sort of stuff again.

Over reacting.
    He was in 15th 1 hour ago - it happens.

Good - exactly the answer I wanted to hear :)

You will have to forgive me guys - im new to this following Golf thing - Padraigs performance in the Dunhill sucked me into to the rollercoaster.

I don't play - my apologies.

The way I was looking at it - is that yes - things can go wrong - and HE DOES have the ability to bounce back - but given how I saw the nightmare unfolding - I was wondering how it might affect him mentally.

One positive - is that the 2 pars he got during the nightmare period looked okay.

:) Sorry but had to have a little chuckle at that. Try telling Paddy he's not going to Augusta :D

What's really disappointing is that today's meltdown really did come out of nowhere, he'd been very solid today and all week to this point. Hopefully he'll put together a solid round tomorrow, move up the leaderboard a bit and keep things moving in the right direction.

Have to remember he played some really good stuff for 13 odd holes today.

Its the fact that it happened in a round that had being going lovely until then that's what concerned me.

Had he being struggling all day - perhaps knocking up 2 birdies and 4 normal bogies (4 holes at plus one) and not really going anywhere all day - it would be just put down to a "bad day" which can happen.

But mentally its so tough for him to go from top 20 and 9 under to 3 under and T61 due to 3 holes.

Old Diesel,

First of all , you are so into it - get yourself a club and go to range , it is so easy these days to start.

A ball in a field too - I know men who have started in late 50s.

It is a very bad fall, your right - but a player coming back like this into form , can be very very slow. As long term golf fans, we are looking at his general direction of improvement. And most of us here would say , we can't believe how far he has come so quick.

The fact it is so quick is part of the problem , his issues and faults are still below the surface and with time they can be pushed further and further back - but then it is a sudden blow up -

We all hate it too and are very disappointed when it happens – but you have to look at where Padraig is now versus last year. For example look at D Clarke there , he is in the doldrums at present.

But to show it happens , look at the lad below him Ryan Moore – he has been playing very well lately, but is below him. He is a real up and down player – most golfers are. Only Tiger was a freak.

A couple of years ago Oosthuizen and Schwartzel looked like they were going to be at the top level in majors for years – yet have had bad years. Lee Westwood is a mystery and Tiger not getting to 18 majors is a total shock. Even look at McIlroy – an American I played with said – McIlroy is awful or the best, and that is true, he was like that for a while.

On top of all above – Ireland does not have a very good record on the USPGA. It is a total luxury of time to have the Northern lads and two (yes two ) Irish flags in US , you could honestly go years without that again. Not to mention Phelan on the way.

So get out and hit a few balls – keep watching , when it bites as it clearly has it rarely lets go.
    Also – the Internet causes a magnification of all of above.

Old Diesel,

First of all , you are so into it - get yourself a club and go to range , it is so easy these days to start.

A ball in a field too - I know men who have started in late 50s.

It is a very bad fall, your right - but a player coming back like this into form , can be very very slow. As long term golf fans, we are looking at his general direction of improvement. And most of us here would say , we can't believe how far he has come so quick.

The fact it is so quick is part of the problem , his issues and faults are still below the surface and with time they can be pushed further and further back - but then it is a sudden blow up -

We all hate it too and are very disappointed when it happens – but you have to look at where Padraig is now versus last year. For example look at D Clarke there , he is in the doldrums at present.

But to show it happens , look at the lad below him Ryan Moore – he has been playing very well lately, but is below him. He is a real up and down player – most golfers are. Only Tiger was a freak.

A couple of years ago Oosthuizen and Schwartzel looked like they were going to be at the top level in majors for years – yet have had bad years. Lee Westwood is a mystery and Tiger not getting to 18 majors is a total shock. Even look at McIlroy – an American I played with said – McIlroy is awful or the best, and that is true, he was like that for a while.

On top of all above – Ireland does not have a very good record on the USPGA. It is a total luxury of time to have the Northern lads and two (yes two ) Irish flags in US , you could honestly go years without that again. Not to mention Phelan on the way.

So get out and hit a few balls – keep watching , when it bites as it clearly has it rarely lets go.
    Also – the Internet causes a magnification of all of above.

Thank you so much for the kind understanding welcoming post. :)

Given that so many of you play - I was nearly half afraid to say - I don't :eek:

Especially given that I got so caught up in the rollercoaster that I started posting regularly :D.

I think the golf bug is biting me - I promise myself EVERY week not to get so caught up in Padraigs progress - ie stress/worry about how he will get on - get ridiculously excited if he goes okay in a round.

Your all right old,

We got ridiculously excited about him for 5 years and nothing happened.
    I recommend , valium drink or golf if you are going to follow him.

I’ve tried all 3.

Results - very very varied.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭abff

It's all my fault. He was doing great until I went to see a movie and stopped watching him on shot tracker. I recorded the golf, but had to fast forward through the recording for two hours before I got any update on his score. I couldn't believe it when I saw that he had finished on 3 under. He was 8 under looking like going to 9 under when I left.

• Advertisement

abff wrote: »
    It's all my fault. He was doing great until I went to see a movie and stopped watching him on shot tracker. I recorded the golf, but had to fast forward through the recording for two hours before I got any update on his score. I couldn't believe it when I saw that he had finished on 3 under. He was 8 under looking like going to 9 under when I left.

He actually made it to 9 under as well - he got his birdie to go to 9 under - and at the VERY next hole - the nightmare began :eek:

I guess part of the issue really was - he had one nightmare hole - that shook him - and things went downhill.

He will be back :) - its just a question of getting his belief back and getting himself mentally right.

Easier said then done I agree - I think he can do it - I just hope he does too :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement