Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

He was either gona win it or not make the cut, paddy doesnt do normal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Once again we saw glimmers of his genius but they were outweighed by the silly mistakes. He needs to sort out the putting game. Easier said than done though I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Once again we saw glimmers of his genius but they were outweighed by the silly mistakes. He needs to sort out the putting game. Easier said than done though I know.
    the
    His first round was okay though.

I think he has the ability - he just struggles to translate that into performances.

He was flying last week before his nightmare 6 holes - which was really just 3 as he parred two of them and got a normal bogey anyone could get at another (of the 6)

Still has the potential its a case of translating that into more consistent performances.

Not sure why - but at this even (the masters) he seemed to have particular struggles at the par 4s.

Will be hard to address the putting as hes struggled with this for a while now

Silly mistakes cost him at Pebble beach as well - especially the trible bogey at the 18th in round 3 (at Pebble beach).

He had a triple bogey the day before at Pebble beach as well in round 2 - that was 6 shots lost in a tournament he missed the cut on by something like two shots if I remember rightly - and finished up in the end - on 4 under - even after the triple bogeys.

point been - its something that happens with Padraig that good work/effort - can be hampered by mistakes.

Id like to think hes better then 5 over yesterday suggests - and level par the day before reinforces this (in my eyes anyway).

Worth remembering that this IS a difficult course to do well on - Mr Speiths super stuff doesn't really illustrate that

Rorys 2 under is probably a better reflection of what the course is like really - imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

84th (up 1 spot). Was so disappointed to hear the missed cut.

I couldn't believe the winning score when I heard it!

• Advertisement

Ruu wrote: »
    84th (up 1 spot). Was so disappointed to hear the missed cut.

I couldn't believe the winning score when I heard it!

Inspite of Mr Speiths heroics - Augusta - to me - watching on shot tracker DOES look like a VERY difficult course.

The missed cut in itself doesn't bother me - nor does the struggles in the 2nd round.

BOTH of those can happen - and they certainly are things that can happen together.

Im not concerned about them in isolation - because - I think - okay - he missed out by 3 shots to make the cut. But given that - we are talking 3 shots over 36 holes - especially with one bad day - its certainly possible in terms of improvement to make up 3 shots.

My concern however is the impact that a setback MIGHT have on his confidence and self belief.

I believe in him - my hope is that HE believes in himself - its no good me believing in him if HE doesn't BELIEVE in himself.

Very challenging for him - but he needs to use the Honda win as a way of being able to say - YES I can do this - ive shown I can do this.

TPC at Sawgrass is next up from looking at his website (May 7th). Does anyone know if he is playing anywhere else?

TPC at Sawgrass is next up from looking at his website (May 7th). Does anyone know if he is playing anywhere else?

My understanding is that he was taking 3 weeks off - which brings us to that date.

The break might do him good (hopefully)

Its easy to forget that prior to the Honda he had a VERY busy schedule due to the nature of sponsors invites.

Was it 6 events in 6 weeks at one stage????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭abff

Old diesel wrote: »
    My understanding is that he was taking 3 weeks off - which brings us to that date.

The break might do him good (hopefully)

Its easy to forget that prior to the Honda he had a VERY busy schedule due to the nature of sponsors invites.

Was it 6 events in 6 weeks at one stage????

Yes, it's great that he now has the ability to choose when and if he plays. He's finished second on two occasions in the Players, so Sawgrass seems to suit him. Be great to see him contend there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

abff wrote: »
    Yes, it's great that he now has the ability to choose when and if he plays. He's finished second on two occasions in the Players, so Sawgrass seems to suit him. Be great to see him contend there.

He hasn't done as well there since they moved it from March and did some design changes. Poor enough record since.
    Looking forward to seeing how his form is for the Irish open :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Eaglebridie 32

No post since 17/4, so here we go again. Playing at Sawgrass this week, Needs to rekindle his Honda form, some huge events coming up in the next month, Players, Irish Open, PGA, does the Honda win get him into U.S. Open?.
    Anyhow making the cut this week would be the least of his expectations I would guess.

He needs to finish well in the next few tournaments. Top 60 in the world automatically qualify. I don't think the Honda win gets him in but could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

He needs to finish well in the next few tournaments. Top 60 in the world automatically qualify. I don't think the Honda win gets him in but could be wrong.
    You're not wrong. He needs to be in the top 60 or to qualify through the qualifiers. He will hope to be in the top 30 money earners for next year to get into it automatically (He is currently 42nd). To be fair missing just one Major this year isn't as bad as missing that and The Masters but his game is good enough to qualify.

Also, I would not be surprised at all to see the US Open offer Paddy a spot even if he fails to qualify. PH is an ambassador for the game and his win at the Honda Open would definitely give him a good chance of getting a spot either way

He'll have to qualify, USGA wouldn't be ones for sentiment. Even past champions only get a 10 year exemption.

He'll have to qualify, USGA wouldn't be ones for sentiment. Even past champions only get a 10 year exemption.
    Wouldn't just be sentiment to be fair, he did win a fairly big tournament in the past 3 months, that will play some part in a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭paulos53

The last time they gave out invites may have been as far back as 2010 to Vijay Singh and Tom Watson. It is unlikely that they will break that pattern for Harrington

paulos53 wrote: »
    The last time they gave out invites may have been as far back as 2010 to Vijay Singh and Tom Watson. It is unlikely that they will break that pattern for Harrington
    Well respected golfer who gives a lot to the game, is a 3 time major winner, in the top 100 and has won a tournament recently? I'm not saying he will definitely get an invite (he is also more than good enough to qualify in a qualification tourney) but it's probably the most appealing offer since then.

3 putts the 10th from 5 feet!

3 putts the 10th from 5 feet!

:( disappointing start.

I understand from earlier news bulletins that he was to start from the 10th

• Advertisement

Old diesel wrote: »
    :( disappointing start.

I understand from earlier news bulletins that he was to start from the 10th

Followed by birdies on 11 and 12 ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

..but birdies the next two to be two under after three, whoo hoo!!!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Come on Paddy! Keep her steady!

Followed by birdies on 11 and 12 ;)

To be honest - I have so much time and respect for the guy - I couldn't hardly bare to look at how he was getting on - I was feeling nervous :eek:

I want him do do as well as he can you see.

in the drink on 18.

Turns in 2 over.

Birdie on the par 5 2nd hole, so at +1 now.

Definitely a Paddy Harrington round.

Piss poor putting on par 3 3rd hole, got him a bogie but he birdied the following hole (30ishft putt), stays at +1.

Another bird on the 5th hole, E overall. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

14 holes....5 birdies, 5 pars, 3 Bogies(including a 3putt from 6ft!!) and one double bogie.

How I missed the roller-coaster for the past three weeks!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement