Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Would not be surprised to see him on the tee tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Still down to play. Tee off at 12:40. Hope he's not pushing himself too hard

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

He's off anyway, nice bogey to begin with!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Gonzo

Only lasted 3 holes, hopefully he'll recover for next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

A bit daft to play - and not hold out for next week.

He would have known it was that bad - if that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

What exactly was he doing in the gym that triggered the problem? Too much maybe in the week of a tournament.

Not sure, in his interview he said that he felt a problem but continued on with the workout. His shoulder stiffened up overnight. Hope he recovers okay for next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

pistol_75 wrote: »
    What exactly was he doing in the gym that triggered the problem? Too much maybe in the week of a tournament.

The man is so tapped wouldnt be surprised if he was at something like this.

110.jpg

No U.S open qualifying on Monday now either I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭shabalala

Its the poor guy whos 150th in the money list that was there hoping to get out i feel sorry for. Bad form from Harrington imho, you know whether you can play or not by hitting balls beforehand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

shabalala wrote: »
    Its the poor guy whos 150th in the money list that was there hoping to get out i feel sorry for. Bad form from Harrington imho, you know whether you can play or not by hitting balls beforehand.

Agreed...the cynic in me says it may have had something to do with sponsor money, pulling out during the tournament versus a total no show, just to add I'm just speculating, totally clueless and being a right c*nt (before I get called a speculative clueless c*nt)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

He decided to play because he obviously thought he could. The next reserve can only blame himself for not being higher in the rankings.

He never pulled out of a start before because of injury, I am inclined to agree that he thought he would be able to play as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Ruu wrote: »
    He never pulled out of a start before because of injury, I am inclined to agree that he thought he would be able to play as well.

Yes, I agree. Anyway, pity we won't see him this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Padraigs the sort of lad that would have been just anxious to get out and play if at all possible.

I think he THOUGHT it was possible so went out.

Not the sort of chap to go out KNOWING hed be coming back in after a few holes - imo

Anyway - the injury was well flagged - its not like he pretended he hadn't one - and it became obvious only when he withdrew

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Agreed...the cynic in me says it may have had something to do with sponsor money

Makes you wonder what kind of mugs the sponsors must be to actually pay out.

Makes you wonder what kind of mugs the sponsors must be to actually pay out.

I don't buy into the theory he went out knowing hed be pulling out - to get sponsors pay.

But I imagine the sponsors paying out in that scenario - because that's part of the agreement - ie theres some clause dealing with what happens - if a player withdraws having STARTED the tournament.

Thing is though - I imagine doing this would annoy the f*&K out of a sponsor if they thought it was done on purpose - so while theyd pay out - they may not opt to renew the agreement when its time to renew.

But like I say - I don't think Padraig will have looked to do that

He's hardly short of a few bob like! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

If he only went with the intention of pulling out why would he have broadcast the injury before hand. If he was being a sneak he would have just turned up and said oops my shoulder is sore I'm outta here.

I've no doubt he tried his best to play and wanted to play.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

ForeRight wrote: »
    If he only went with the intention of pulling out why would he have broadcast the injury before hand. If he was being a sneak he would have just turned up and said oops my shoulder is sore I'm outta here.

I've no doubt he tried his best to play and wanted to play.

Because more questions are asked and doubts cast if you suddenly wander off the course complaining of some sudden ailment á la Rory's toothache?

I totally agree with you btw, if there is any player that wouldn't pull a stroke like that it's Padraig Harrington, I've no doubt he tried his best to play and wanted to play too, he just shouldn't have even tried with an injury but that's Padraig summed up for you.

Because more questions are asked and doubts cast if you suddenly wander off the course complaining of some sudden ailment á la Rory's toothache?

I totally agree with you btw, if there is any player that wouldn't pull a stroke like that it's Padraig Harrington, I've no doubt he tried his best to play and wanted to play too, he just shouldn't have even tried with an injury but that's Padraig summed up for you.

If he pulled out after 2 holes questions wouldn't really be asked like the rory incident when he was having a horror show mid round

The fella on stand by actually got in that morning anyway.

Cant believe people are having a dig at him over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,180 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Anybody know what he had for breakfast this morning?
    Need something fresh to over analysis :)
    I hope he got the right balance of carbs and protein... maybe he went for rice crispies in an attempt to sabotage his appearance in the Irish Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

To be fair in a normal warm up for a golfer you'd hit a good 50 or 60 shots, why was it only after the 8 he took out on course that he realised his shoulder was too bad to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

People need to get a grip. Of all things you might find curious/frustrating/magnificent etc about Padraig, the one thing I would have thought irrefutable is that he's a decent guy. He thought he could play, so he played. He has often played with injuries and got by. He doesn't like to pull out. End of story.

To be fair in a normal warm up for a golfer you'd hit a good 50 or 60 shots, why was it only after the 8 he took out on course that he realised his shoulder was too bad to play?

Maybe he tweaked it again Pierce? We'll know next week when he gives his update. Padraig is very open about these things.

Maybe he tweaked it again Pierce? We'll know next week when he gives his update. Padraig is very open about these things.

He was upfront about having the injury on his tour dairy (preview) for this week - and he was talking about being hopeful he would make it.

He was even honest enough to admit that when the issue arose - he continued with his gym session. Given that the latter seems bonkers - the fact he openly mentions it shows how honest he is.

Most people would shy away from admitting publically that they continued with the gym session with an injury

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

CFn9XN7XIAA27tN.jpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

How can anyone not love that man :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement