Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Is he scheduled to play in the Scottish Open next week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

-Ade- wrote: »

Yes he said he's playing the Scottish Open in his interview

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Only one thing i don't like about Padraig. Does he really have to tug at his baseball cap at the start of every interview presumably to draw attention to his sponsor? Every single one. Its cheap looking. I think he's been doing it for years now and i can't remember ever seeing him being interviewed without him pushing the sponsor in the viewers face. No other players spring to mind that do it. Do Wilson haven't written it into his contract, is there any reason to be so obvious?

Just didn't hole enough putts this week unfortunately.

I remember when Damien McGrane won the China Open a few years ago, it was a wet day and walking down the 18th fairway with the win guaranteed he takes off the wetsuit and jumper revealing his sponsors, must be a Irish thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭irish_man

Wow he's at 20/1 on betfair for the open championship. Got him at around 100/1 there at the masters. 20/1 is an awful price. Lower than Mickelson @ 41/1, Bubba @60/1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

-Ade- wrote: »

The Scottish Open isn't on next week, the French Open is.

To answer your question he is on the list of entries for the Scottish Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Doc Daneeka

irish_man wrote: »
    Wow he's at 20/1 on betfair for the open championship. Got him at around 100/1 there at the masters. 20/1 is an awful price. Lower than Mickelson @ 41/1, Bubba @60/1.

Well are you saying you'd fancy Mickelson or Bubba for the win ahead of him? I know I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

Bubba's got no chance unless the weather is perfect. Even then, I wouldn't give him much of a chance. There are over 200 bunkers on the course at Lytham so there will be very few opportunities to really let rip with a driver.

Padraig will obviously have to putt better but the way he's hitting the ball is very encouraging. There certainly won't be a birdie barrage like that on the last day in the Open. He might putt better when he would know that he wouldn't have to hole everything just to stay in contention like today. His putting was actually really good in the final round of the US Open which was the real acid test.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 DaEvilTwin

Really disappointed with the way he putted this week but like many of you have said his long game seems to be much improved.
    Paddy Power only giving 16/1 on him at the moment for the British open. Odds are bit ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭abff

DaEvilTwin wrote: »
    Paddy Power only giving 16/1 on him at the moment for the British open. Odds are bit ridiculous.

I think everyone is so anxious to see Padraig going well again (myself included!) that there is a huge amount of money going on him that takes all the good of his recent form into account and kind of ignores the bad.

I think the odds are a bit mad, but I think Paddy Power have a business to manage and they can't afford to lose a fortune on a PH win so I expect they will offer relatively poor value on him in the hope that people will back him elsewhere until they have rebalanced their book on the Open.

Having said that, wouldn't it be just GREAT if he can win it. And he's certainly playing well enough to be in with a realistic chance, particularly if the weather acts up.

• Advertisement

I think a certain T Woods will be just as hungry as PH at the Open and I'd say he'll be a hard man to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭irish_man

I was just pointing out that his odds were poor compared to a guy who won a major this year. Hope Harrington does win it, as every one does here, but 20/1 for a guy who hasn't won anything in 2 months shy of 4 years are crap odds.

No one was disagreeing with you. I was just explaining why the odds were so low.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Mickelson has 2 top 10 finishes in 21 appearances at the Open. Watson has played it 3 times and missed the cut twice. Harrington has won it twice and 2 other top 10s in 15 appearances. He's also playing very well so it's hardly surprising, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Harrington up to 60th in the WGR now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Harrington up to 60th in the WGR now.

Also another small jump up the Ryder Cup leaderboard with 2 more European Tour events to come in the next 3 weeks(Open and Scottish), I would fancy him for the Scottish and would fancy a Top 10 for him for the Open, don't think he will win this one!(One can only hope though)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Fair play to him. He battled well at Royal Portrush.

I noticed 2 things:-

1/. He seemed to miss a lot of putts left.
    2/. His foot line at address is aimed well left also.

Just simple observations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Fair play to him. He battled well at Royal Portrush.

2/. His foot line at address is aimed well left also.

Just simple observations.

Heard Radar saying he was playing a cut with his approach shots all week (for more control) so that would explain that part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

Did anyone notice what driver Harrington is hitting?

R11
    R11S
    RBZ

I don't think he's ever been driving the ball as far :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

R11
    R11S
    RBZ

He's hitting some monsters alright, and with a shortened swing too.

• Advertisement

R11
    R11S
    RBZ

Think it's either the R11 or R11s with a Wilson headcover I am sure(advertising etc). He does seem to be driving the ball well and one thing I noticed was he said Royal Portrush has tight fairways like Royal Lytham however the Scottish Open has big open fairways and you can open your shoulders up!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Tiernster7

Hes playing really well right now but a win is what will get his ryder cup place moving . Looked very comfortable with his iron play at the weekend putting is his main issue right now.

He was interviewed on NewsTalk tonight. Sounded in great form. Would love to make the Ryder Cup, but said that if he was back standing on the 18th tee at the US Open and someone had offered him a par, he wouldn't have taken it. Runners up are soon forgotten and no one is going to introduce him on the first tee in a few years time as a former US Open runner up.

Total gentleman as always. Had a few interesting words to say about the Irish football team's performance at the Euros and the public reaction to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

abff wrote: »
    He was interviewed on NewsTalk tonight. Sounded in great form. Would love to make the Ryder Cup, but said that if he was back standing on the 18th tee at the US Open and someone had offered him a par, he wouldn't have taken it. Runners up are soon forgotten and no one is going to introduce him on the first tee in a few years time as a former US Open runner up.

Total gentleman as always. Had a few interesting words to say about the Irish football team's performance at the Euros and the public reaction to it.

Just be curious as to what he thought or said?

Just be curious as to what he thought or said?

Basically that he couldn't believe the extent to which the public had turned against Trappatoni after the team had gone 14 games unbeaten in the build up to the finals. I didn't hear everything he said on the subject as I arrived home at this point in the interview and it took a couple of minutes before I could get the radio on at home to hear the rest of it.

I think the interview will probably be available on podcast if you go onto NewsTalk's website. Not sure how long it will take before it becomes available.

So Padraig is 6 under, 6 off the pace going into the weekend. Nice to see that he's still playing reasonably well, but probably a bit far behind on a course that yielding a lot of birdies.

Still, probably not bad value at 47 to 1 on Betfair.

Another decent week for Harry, pity that he didn't post a score in the final round but I am sure he will be confident going into next week.

He has picked up another €38k towards Ryder Cup point's, has moved up to 59th in the World Rankings and 24th in the Race to Dubai.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

ssbob wrote: »
    Another decent week for Harry, pity that he didn't post a score in the final round but I am sure he will be confident going into next week.

He has picked up another €38k towards Ryder Cup point's, has moved up to 59th in the World Rankings and 24th in the Race to Dubai.

Here's a strange one as well, he topped the putting stats :eek:

Here's a strange one as well, he topped the putting stats :eek:

Ominous, seen some stat for when Paddy had a Top 10 in the masters in that year, his open finishes have been T-5th, W, W!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOuld be nice to keep that record up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Playing solidly enough but his GIR stats for the last two weeks are poor. Most players with those stats would miss the cut. Looks unlikely for the Ryder Cup now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement