Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Depending on the weather today, he could be in with a decent chance still. When he won his in 2008 there was a rain delay too with players(including PH) completing their 3rd round on the sunday. C'mon!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

Think he's a bit too far back, that double on 10 could have cost him, great round though. A top 5 would be a great result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Think he's a bit too far back, that double on 10 could have cost him, great round though. A top 5 would be a great result.

Had it not been for putting this year, Harrington had genuine chances in 3 of the 4 majors. A great pity and a slack finish prob means he will not make the Ryder Cup team after giving himself a great chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

He was never going to make the team without a few top 10 finishes in a row. With Ollie as the captain, and Sergio pretty much nailed on, the last thing that Ollie is going to do is take a chance on PH when he and Sergio dont get on. And he couldnt take a chance on both.

He was never going to make the team without a few top 10 finishes in a row. With Ollie as the captain, and Sergio pretty much nailed on, the last thing that Ollie is going to do is take a chance on PH when he and Sergio dont get on. And he couldnt take a chance on both.

To be fair, harry is playing better than Sergio currently but agree that Ollie will pick Sergio because without him there will be no other Spanish player in the team!

I think Ollies final pick will come from the following:
    1. Colsaerts
    2. David Lynn
    3. Thomas Bjorn
    4. Harrington
    5. Siem
    6. Donaldson
    Don't know what Harry's plans are for the next few weeks though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

It could be argued that the team might be better if a few rookies like Siem, Donaldson, Laird & Colsaerts had qualified automatically. At least these guys would be really excited about playing Ryder Cup while some of the more senior players probably are not.

In 2008, Harrington, Garcia & Westwood were the three weakest players on the team. The form of Garcia, Kaymer and even Westwood would have to be a big worry at this stage.

Martin567 wrote: »
    It could be argued that the team might be better if a few rookies like Siem, Donaldson, Laird & Colsaerts had qualified automatically. At least these guys would be really excited about playing Ryder Cup while some of the more senior players probably are not.

In 2008, Harrington, Garcia & Westwood were the three weakest players on the team. The form of Garcia, Kaymer and even Westwood would have to be a big worry at this stage.

Westwood will be fine and I am sure Garcia will be pumped but can't understand what is going on with Kaymer, he is such a good player!

What events are left to go before the qualification closes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

ssbob wrote: »
    Westwood will be fine and I am sure Garcia will be pumped but can't understand what is going on with Kaymer, he is such a good player!

What events are left to go before the qualification closes?

I remember a couple of years ago hearing that Kaymer struggles to hit a draw. I was astonished by that because I presumed most pros could easily work the ball both ways and with different trajectories. I know he tried to change his swing, presumably working on this flaw and dropped down the rankings a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭paulos53

All that is left is the Wyndham this week on the PGA Tour and the Johnnie Walker Championship in Scotland next week. Unfortunately there is no european tour event this week.

Colsaerts got the last invite for the Wyndham and Garcia is also playing there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

ssbob wrote: »
    To be fair, harry is playing better than Sergio currently but agree that Ollie will pick Sergio because without him there will be no other Spanish player in the team!

I think Ollies final pick will come from the following:
    1. Colsaerts
    2. David Lynn
    3. Thomas Bjorn
    4. Harrington
    5. Siem
    6. Donaldson
    Don't know what Harry's plans are for the next few weeks though.

And Laird.

Personally I think it is between Harrington and Colsaerts but not in Ollie's mind!

• Advertisement

paulos53 wrote: »
    All that is left is the Wyndham this week on the PGA Tour and the Johnnie Walker Championship in Scotland next week. Unfortunately there is no european tour event this week.

Colsaerts got the last invite for the Wyndham and Garcia is also playing there.

Think quite possibly Ollie might have said to Sergio that he needs to qualify off his own back or he'll find it hard to pick him on current form.

Don't think Harry will play Gleneagles as that clashes with the first week of the Fedex right? If he showed up at Gleneagles and had a Top 15, I am sure that would be enough for Ollie.
    AGC wrote: »
    And Laird.

Personally I think it is between Harrington and Colsaerts but not in Ollie's mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

1. David Lynn

Not a hope he'll get a pick, good golfer but way to streaky. Should have won way more than his 1 European tour title. Not proven in anyway in team matchplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 DaEvilTwin

At this stage i think Colsaerts must be favourite to get the other pick because of his win in the volvo matchplay. Even if harrington won before olazabal names his picks he still wouldn't pick him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

If Ollie picks Garcia ahead of Harrington he needs his head examined.... Nationality is not reason enough to pick the flakiest, most petulant player on tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭big_drive

I still Harrington is close to having a big win, hope it comes before end of year

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lads.

Who has had the best overall performance in majors in 2012 ?

Think paddy must be up there.

Gmac 1st maybe.
    Scott

Anybody else ?

Lads.

Gmac 1st maybe.
    Scott

Anybody else ?

Peter Hanson if you take out the US Open 2 top 10's. Poulter 3 top 10's and Rose 2 top 10's. Matt Kucher also 2 top 10's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Peter Hanson if you take out the US Open 2 top 10's. Poulter 3 top 10's and Rose 2 top 10's. Matt Kucher also 2 top 10's.

Why would you take out the US Open? That's a major.

fair play.

Poulter great going -

But you if you look at average pos. Has to be G Mac - Scott - Paddy. Anyway sorry don't have time to look at full stats.

But people should think of that when looking at the year Paddy had in majors.

fullstop wrote: »

Why would you take out the US Open? That's a major.

Oh sorry just that he missed cut there, should have been clearer

• Advertisement

Lads.

Gmac 1st maybe.
    Scott

Anybody else ?

Only 12 players made the cut in all 4 Majors. I got this list from another site:

Scott (-6) 1030
    McDowell (-4) 1032
    Poulter (+2) 1038
    Harrington (+3) 1039
    Woods (+7) 1043
    Dufner (+8) 1044
    Furyk (+8) 1044
    Stricker (+12) 1048
    Jacobson (+16) 1052
    Bradley (+20) 1056
    F Molinari (+20) 1056
    Z Johnson (+26) 1062

Only 12 players made the cut in all 4 Majors. I got this list from another site:

Scott (-6) 1030
    McDowell (-4) 1032
    Poulter (+2) 1038
    Harrington (+3) 1039
    Woods (+7) 1043
    Dufner (+8) 1044
    Furyk (+8) 1044
    Stricker (+12) 1048
    Jacobson (+16) 1052
    Bradley (+20) 1056
    F Molinari (+20) 1056
    Z Johnson (+26) 1062

fair play.

Did it my own way by average position.

By position was

Mcdowell ( 7.5) amazing
    Scott (9)
    Poulter (15)
    Harrington (17.25)
    Woods (18.75)

You can make what you want from that - but for me, Scott and Poulter should pick one up soon. Harrington is made of steel to have got there with **** putting, G Mac keep it up.

And it all means nothing if you can't win one.

Scott (-6) 1030
    McDowell (-4) 1032
    Poulter (+2) 1038
    Harrington (+3) 1039
    Woods (+7) 1043
    Dufner (+8) 1044
    Furyk (+8) 1044
    Stricker (+12) 1048
    Jacobson (+16) 1052
    Bradley (+20) 1056
    F Molinari (+20) 1056
    Z Johnson (+26) 1062

Wow, great stat. I knew Paddy had a good year major wise, just didn't realise he was that consistent in them.

To my mind, there is a good argument that the world rankings should be tweaked to give much greater emphasis on the majors. If you look at Paddy's season:
    - 4th best performer in the majors
    - 5 top 10s worldwide (Masters, US Open, Irish Open, Pebble Beach, Volvo Golf Champions)
    - 5 other top 20s

He has only moved up from 88 to 61 in the rankings since then. Meanwhile someone like Jason Day, who has had a very average to poor year so far is sitting safely inside the top 50.

While I am sure Olly will be looking at all of these permutations I really think Harry needs to win The Barclays or Top 5 for Olly to consider him.

In terms of winning majors in the future, he definitely has the game, he just needs to get back his putting prowess that was so good in 2007 / 2008, like I have said before on this thread, he was top 5 in outting for 6/7 years in a row. He has the talent.

Come on Paddy.(Our one great hope from South of the border)

PRAF wrote: »
    Wow, great stat. I knew Paddy had a good year major wise, just didn't realise he was that consistent in them.

To my mind, there is a good argument that the world rankings should be tweaked to give much greater emphasis on the majors. If you look at Paddy's season:
    - 4th best performer in the majors
    - 5 top 10s worldwide (Masters, US Open, Irish Open, Pebble Beach, Volvo Golf Champions)
    - 5 other top 20s

He has only moved up from 88 to 61 in the rankings since then. Meanwhile someone like Jason Day, who has had a very average to poor year so far is sitting safely inside the top 50.

To some extent, the world rankings don't reward consistency as much as one-off, big performances. As things stand, Padraig is certainly a lot better than his ranking would indicate but that's because he hasn't had the one big result despite a lot of really good golf. He actually has the 8th best stroke average on the PGA Tour so far in 2012 but, apart, from the US Open, he hasn't had any really big finish.

To take an extreme scenario: Player A & Player B each play in the same run of 10 events. Player A wins one and misses the cut badly in the other 9. Player B finishes an average of about 12-15th in each of the 10. Player B will have played far more good golf and will have much the better stroke average but Player A will have picked up more world ranking points. Padraig is definitely Player B in this scenario.

He's been consistent and played really well at times but he just needs one or two big results to move up the rankings quicker. None of the four Major winners are in the above list so you couldn't really argue that he's been the 4th best player in Majors this year. I'm sure he would swap his actual Major results for the year for one win and three missed cuts.

I think he could be higher in the rankings if he had closed out positions in the masters, us open, irish open, & PGA...........could have been a lot better in all of those comps!

Agree, his biggest problems this year have been his putting and his closing. Too often he's bogeyed the 18th to spoil an otherwise excellent round, or played mediocre on a Sunday when a big finish would've given him a top 3 or even a win.

Seems to be a big one in him though so hopefully that big W wont be far away. Would love to see him get into a slightly more freewheeling, don't think aobut it too much, style of putting. I suspect he is trying to hard with them and getting too tentative with those 4-6 footers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Trampas

who has been top in WGC?

Trampas wrote: »
    who has been top in WGC?

Probably Rory. He was 2nd in the Matchplay, 3rd at Doral and 5th at Firestone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Only the 4th time Harrington made the cut in all 4 majors!

2012 - 8-4-39-18
    2008 - 5-36-1-1
    2002 - 5-8-5-17
    2000 - 19-5-20-58

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement