Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Ruu wrote: »
    -16 overall, rolled in a birdie on 14. Tie for 5th. Par 5 next!

Great stuff.

But would have serious doubts about this as a meaningful event.

There is little or no rough, the guys look like 30 under is on.

Typically Padraig is 1/2 the winning score on a good week.

The field is very very small. He wouldn't be top 20 in a normal event with that ratio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Laying the groundwork!

Birdie on 15.

Ruu wrote: »
    Laying the groundwork!

Birdie on 15.

Is great stuff,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Great stuff.

But would have serious doubts about this as a meaningful event.

There is little or no rough, the guys look like 30 under is on.

Typically Padraig is 1/2 the winning score on a good week.

The field is very very small. He wouldn't be top 20 in a normal event with that ratio.
    Yeah, it's a small event, but it's also an event full of people who won events last year and are consistently getting top 20s and top 10s. Also, he is 5 shots back on 2nd place, Spieth is just having a great week. I don't think it's a sign he is still the way he was, or that he has improved drastically, but things do seem to be coming together for him and hopefully he is contending more this year.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a small event, but it's also an event full of people who won events last year and are consistently getting top 20s and top 10s. Also, he is 5 shots back on 2nd place, Spieth is just having a great week. I don't think it's a sign he is still the way he was, or that he has improved drastically, but things do seem to be coming together for him and hopefully he is contending more this year.

I think that is a fair assessment.

Padraig didn't or never will compete at these birdie shoots.

But a great sign , in the lower (higher) scoring, harder events he will be up there.

The important thing is Padraig said , he felt he found something or "seen something" that was a sign for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Finished with 3 pars. -17 overall and currently in a tie for 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Back up to 120th in OWGR.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Didn't get to to see much of this event, but I liked what I saw from Padraig. Maybe the bit of enforced time off has helped, but whatever it is, it seems to be a big improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭loadwire

Even with the caveats about the course and small field, it's very positive that he was consistent over the four rounds and also no major putting disasters that I noticed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

No bogies in the last round and only 5 over the weekend. I'd take that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Well done Padraig, finished well ahead of a lot of good players. $202k prize money nice too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

charlieIRL wrote: »
    No bogies in the last round and only 5 over the weekend. I'd take that.

I'd take only 5 bogeys in a single round, never mind 4 :)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

That's a very promising start to the year for Padraig, no matter what way you look at it. I'd look at the five who were ahead of him. That's where he needs to be - competing.

Come on Padraig, more to enjoy in 2016!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Was watching the film of last years British Masters at Woburn last night and Padraig was involved in the master class at the end of one of the days play - a question from the crowd was how often did he change his wedges and his answer was every 3 weeks!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

Was watching the film of last years British Masters at Woburn last night and Padraig was involved in the master class at the end of one of the days play - a question from the crowd was how often did he change his wedges and his answer was every 3 weeks!! :eek:

Too embarrassed to ask the brother in law to clean the grooves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Here is his review of the tournament. Always happy to hear him say he is doing less practicing. https://www.facebook.com/Padraig-Harrington-87293726048/?fref=nf
    Tour Diary - Hyundai Tournament of Champions - Review
    PADRAIG HARRINGTON·TUESDAY, 12 JANUARY 2016

As an opening event of the season, I have to say that the Hyundai Tournament of Champions was right up there. A small field, great weather and an all-round great place to be - add in playing well, and I have to say that it's hard to beat. I finished in a tie for sixth, 13 shots behind Jordan, which I was happy with as my first week back. Coming over here I wasn't sure what to expect as I had been off for nine weeks and in that time I had done the least amount of practice and play of my life.

I shot rounds of 70, 68, 70 and 67 for a total of 17 under. I was happy with how I played during the week but there were no days when I came off the course not thinking that I could have been a number of shots better. The first day was the best I played but didn't hole the chances that I gave myself. I hit the ball very well and quite close, giving me a great chance to shot a very low score. It wasn't that I putted badly, in fact I felt very good over my putts. In the second round I didn't hit the ball as well as the first, but I made a few more putts. It wasn't that I played poorly, just that in the first round I hit the ball very well. Even though I shot five under I still felt that I should have been better. My weekend was very similar in terms of my play, both days I hit the ball well and gave myself plenty of chances. It was nice to shoot my lowest round of the week in the final round and to move up the leaderboard.

This was my best finish since my win at the Honda last year, so to do so in my first week out was very enjoyable. I am happy to see that my game is still in good shape and that the work that I did at the end of the last year has stuck with me. I'm coming away from the week feeling good about my game and with very little to work on. I did very little practice during the week other than wedge play and I don't see any need to do much more next week as there was nothing in how I hit the ball that was making me go to the range to practice. In actual fact it was the opposite. I struck the ball very well all week and felt good, which was the main thing. My putting also felt good, even if I could have holed more. But the most important thing is that I holed out well and felt confident over my putts.

All in all it was a very good week. If you took Jordan out of the tournament then it would have been a really good event! He made us all look very average – 30 under par was super scoring!
    That said I am very happy with how my opening week went and am excited about next week and the season ahead.
    Talk soon,
    Padraig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭benny79

Yeah but so would you if you got them for nothing and it was your job. Dont forget big money at stake.

P.s No wonder us mere mortals cant get back spin on the ball :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,984 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I was surprised to see he was just inside the top 50 golf earners of 2015.

Majority of golf earnings is off course now isn't it. Being a multiple major winner is a licence to print money. I see he's signed a new contract with Wilson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

In the rough with his first shot, hopefully not too bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭abff

If we're to believe shot tracker, he missed a 2' 2" putt for par on the first. Yikes!

I've a good feeling about this week , looking at scoring (so far)

Edit.

Maybe not , he isn't making anything and looks a low week again.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭liamos43

What competition is he playing this week...thks

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Eaglebridie 32

T9 on -3 after 13, last weeks good form continuing 👍🏼

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

T9 on -3 after 13, last weeks good form continuing 👍🏼

Some going after hitting his first shot into the rough :pac:

Finished with 66, good putting stats, nice start to week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭abff

liamos43 wrote: »
    What competition is he playing this week...thks

He's playing in the Sony Open in Hawaii on the PGA Tour. Made a good recovery today after a shocking start - missing a 2 foot par putt on the first. His putting was very good over the remaining 17 holes and he's shown as having gained 1.5 strokes putting, despite that missed tiddler on the first.

Serious putting on the back 9, holed about 70 feet worth of putts.
    Packed leaderboard, already over 50 players at -3 or better.

22ft putt drained on the 10th, his 1st, for birdie, nice start😄

• Advertisement

1 yard from hole - looks like he is moving to 5 under again .

If he get to 7, it will be a great 2 days work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement