Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I'm not sure exactly how the world ranking points work, but I think there are 70 points on offer for the Barclays winner. Currently he is approx 60-65 pts behind Poulter & Kaymer for the team placings on the world points list (He's too far back on the Euro points list)

But because its a points average that is added to his total, he wouldn't actually GET 70 points if he won the Barclays? Basically in that case he still wouldn't get an automatic spot on the team if he won, and would only really be catching Olazabals eye if he pulled a win out of the fire.

Have I got that right or am I bunkered? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

RikkFlair wrote: »
    I'm not sure exactly how the world ranking points work, but I think there are 70 points on offer for the Barclays winner. Currently he is approx 60-65 pts behind Poulter & Kaymer for the team placings on the world points list (He's too far back on the Euro points list)

But because its a points average that is added to his total, he wouldn't actually GET 70 points if he won the Barclays? Basically in that case he still wouldn't get an automatic spot on the team if he won, and would only really be catching Olazabals eye if he pulled a win out of the fire.

Have I got that right or am I bunkered? :pac:

Don't think the Barclays is a counting tournament. Last counting tournament is Johnnie Walker as far as I am aware!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Just looking at the WGR earlier and a lot of the names above him in the list are having great seasons (Siem, Grace, etc.) and have amassed a load of points this year so it's making harder for PH to make that jump into the top 50. Irrespective of the Ryder Cup, I think if he can continue in the same form for the rest of the season and have a top-3 or even a win I think he would have to be very happy with his 2012 performance.

Then spend a couple of weeks with Stockton (or some other proven putting coach) in January sorting out his putting stroke/mentality and kick on next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Seves Three Iron

As far as I know there is only one more tournament for Harri to play before Olazabal announces his picks on August 27. I would suggest Garcia/Colsaerts will get the nod, for all kinds of reasons, but you never know. Harri has proven this year that he can tailor his form to the big events.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭abff

The Tour Championship is the week before the Ryder Cup. Given the choice, I wonder which PH would prefer to play in (assuming it can't be both)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

abff wrote: »
    The Tour Championship is the week before the Ryder Cup. Given the choice, I wonder which PH would prefer to play in (assuming it can't be both)?

Why wouldn't it be both?

Tox56 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't it be both?

That would be ideal. But my question was about which he would choose if he could have only one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

abff wrote: »
    That would be ideal. But my question was about which he would choose if he could have only one of them.

Your question is more pointless the more I look at it :confused:

soundsham wrote: »
    Your question is more pointless the more I look at it :confused:

My question seems to have offended you in some way. The point I was trying to make was that Padraig may feel that qualifying for the Tour Championship is a higher priority for him right now than making the Ryder Cup.

If Padraig was in a position where he could qualify automatically by winning at Gleneagles this week, would he choose to play there instead of in the Barclays? My view is that he would probably choose the Barclays. And I think this would be the sensible choice for him.

He's already played in 6 Ryder Cups and he is currently hitting the ball well enough that he could finish quite high up in the Fedex Cup (if his putter behaves) and get himself back into the top 50 in the OWGR.

By saying that, I'm not suggesting that he doesn't want to play in the Ryder Cup. I'm sure he would be absolutely delighted to get a pick, but listening to his interview during the PGA, he seemed to think that Olazabal was very unlikely to pick him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'm big fan of Padraig Harrington.

He is playing well and if the putting was right he would have picked up a major this year.

But - his putting is not good enough at the moment to play in a Ryder Cup. Even the most ardent Padraig fans, would not fancy him over a 7 ft putt to 1/2 a match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

He is playing well and if the putting was right he would have picked up a major this year.

But - his putting is not good enough at the moment to play in a Ryder Cup. Even the most ardent Padraig fans, would not fancy him over a 7 ft putt to 1/2 a match.

He's ranked 7th on PGA tour this season for Putting from 5 to 15 ft which is very good

However :( He's ranked 193rd :eek: for putts inside 5 ft!!!!!!!

Wouldn't be many putts conceded :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 DAPOS1993

Honestly, I've always wondered how he picked up 3 majors in the first place. It's an amazing feat, I'm not taking anything away from. There are tonnes of more talented players out there without a major in the bag so it really is a credit to Harrington's drive and mental strength as to how he's won 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Strokes Gained - Putting 3.745

Not a bad return to form with his putting at the Barclays. If he putted like that on Masters or US Open Sunday, he could've had another major in the trophy cabinet.

Here's hoping for 3 more good rounds this weekend and he'll leave Jose Maria with a decision to make!

PRAF wrote: »
    Strokes Gained - Putting3.745

Not a bad return to form with his putting at the Barclays. If he putted like that on Masters or US Open Sunday, he could've had another major in the trophy cabinet.

Here's hoping for 3 more good rounds this weekend and he'll leave Jose Maria with a decision to make!

Great to see. Shortest putt he missed today was 13 feet 3 inches. Fingers crossed he keeps the putting stroke going because the rest of his game has been in great shape for the last couple of months.

He hit 13 of 14 fairways today and 16 greens in regulation. Outstanding!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Not wishing to tempt fate, but.....in a recent tournament, could have been the US open, on day one he sank everything, and was very poor on the greens thereafter, while everything else stayed good. If he can putt well for 4 days I will be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Not wishing to tempt fate, but.....in a recent tournament, could have been the US open, on day one he sank everything, and was very poor on the greens thereafter, while everything else stayed good. If he can putt well for 4 days I will be delighted.

That tournament was the Transistions Championships, (Paddy's Weekend) 61, then 73, 72,71.

Hope he keeps his second round in the 60's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

That tournament was the Transistions Championships, (Paddy's Weekend) 61, then 73, 72,71.

Hope he keeps his second round in the 60's.

If he shoots in the 60's again, even 69, can't see anyone getting ahead of him by the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Trampas

bogey the 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

And the 2nd :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I'll say it now. If only for this start, he's not getting on the Ryder Cup team. Cant afford to start bogeys when it matters. He's had 24 hours to sit on a lead and he starts like that, not the sign of someone dealing well with pressure. Really annoyed, wanted to see him kick on with a confident, birdie ridden start.

• Advertisement

another one on the 3rd

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AloKildare

It's goodnight Irene!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Shifty Shellshock

He's not good enough for the team in September, simple as that

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Hacker111

He's not good enough for the team in September, simple as that

a little harsh

he is a 3 time major winner...how many have Couls and Poulter won (zero btw)

he has been down the stretch in majors this year with chances to win... v. few players have been as consistent in the big ones.....

I'm not a Harrington fan but give the guy some respect....... to say his not good enough displays your ignorance when it comes to golf knowledge

Dreadful start. :eek: Hopefully, he'll steady the ship and start putting up some red numbers before he slips too far behind.

Hacker111 wrote: »
    a little harsh

he is a 3 time major winner...how many have Couls and Poulter won (zero btw)

he has been down the stretch in majors this year with chances to win... v. few players have been as consistent in the big ones.....

I'm not a Harrington fan but give the guy some respect....... to say his not good enough displays your ignorance when it comes to golf knowledge

Poulter and Cols have won matchplay events will PH has a terrible record in pro events.

Last 3 times he was in the accent he didn't win a match

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

9 over on back nine for last two days! Same 9 holes he shot 6 under on Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Reganovski wrote: »
    9 over on back nine for last two days! Same 9 holes he shot 6 under on Thursday.
    And what's your point?
    If you play golf to a high level you would know that staying in the moment and taking one shot at a time is very important.The comparison you make is irrelevant.
    Fact is PH still doesnt trust his swing under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

heavyballs wrote: »
    And what's your point?

Information purposes :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

I Love Harrington, the greatest Irish golfer we've had...but he shouldn't have been near the last ryder cup team....don't mind this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement