Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Quahog217

I Love Harrington, the greatest Irish golfer we've had...but he shouldn't have been near the last ryder cup team....don't mind this one.

Agree he shouldnt have been on the last team but i think he should be on this one. Look at his performances in the majors this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭abff

Quahog217 wrote: »
    Agree he shouldnt have been on the last team but i think he should be on this one. Look at his performances in the majors this year.

I'm a HUGE fan of Padraig's but I'm beginning to feel that he hasn't earned the right to take part in this year's Ryder Cup. He's doing OK today, but his performance yesterday and on Friday just wasn't good enough.

He's a fantastic player (and an incredible role model) and at this stage it seems to me that the problems he has in producing the results he deserves are down to confidence rather than ability. I hope that the Fedex Cup works out for him and that he ends up in the Tour Championship and back in the top 50 where he belongs.

I expect him to make the next Ryder Cup automatically and at least one or two more after that. But maybe missing this year is something that is just fated and it's time to move on.

Birdied the last to finish with a 68 and 2 under overall. Hopefully he'll kick on from here and qualify for the Tour Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

As JMO says he hasn't delivered of late
    This weekend was the same he started all a bluster and finished way down the field
    If he had played like Sergio in the last 10 days ............
    When the chips are down

I wish him the best and I love him but he's not good enough at the moment

soundsham wrote: »
    I wish him the best

Me too.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

Finished T-19, not bad I suppose after his middle rounds. Up to 48th in the fedex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

A good round today by all accounts to repair some of the damage caused on Friday and Saturday. At the risk of pointing out the obvious, it's his putting what did the damage!! Playing on greens that were too fast on Friday and Saturday in the late afternoon / early evening probably did him no favours. TBH, I'd rather he doesn't get a pick tomorrow. If he does, he'll have that same negativity around his selection and that won't be good for his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

Excellent round today.

Ryder cup is obviously out the window. He can concentrate on ironing out the kinks in his game now and hopefully win a tournament before the year is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

He is very close to a win I reckon and at the end of the day he is up to 48th in the Fedex Cup and should jump a place or two in world rankings.

By making the cut next week he should guarantee a place in the following event so I reckon Paddy will be back in the Top 50 come the end of the playoffs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I can't understand all the "Paddy Whacking" going on, looking at yesterdays round - he had the 4th best round in the field, in a field where most played over par he was -3. Mcilroy was 1 over, Woods 5 over, Garcia 4 over etc. Look at all the top american players that didn't even make the cut!!

Also remember that most of the players said the course was unplayable on saturday it was so tough.

I thing while its not a great result its still a good one and hopefully he's there for the last round of the Fed-Ex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I can't understand all the "Paddy Whacking" going on, looking at yesterdays round - he had the 4th best round in the field, in a field where most played over par he was -3. Mcilroy was 1 over, Woods 5 over, Garcia 4 over etc. Look at all the top american players that didn't even make the cut!!

Also remember that most of the players said the course was unplayable on saturday it was so tough.

I thing while its not a great result its still a good one and hopefully he's there for the last round of the Fed-Ex.

Agree - he's having a good year so far. Very steady and consistent, 7th in scoring average on pga tour this year is pretty good play! A couple of extra putts dropping here and there would make a huge difference though.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Quahog217

charlieIRL wrote: »

The most sensible post ive ever seen on here.

Agree 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Well no Ryder Cup for Paddy, was always looking an uphill battle. He should focus now on being more consistent and making the team for 2014, he's still young enough for another 2 or 3 cups.

Paddy up two places to 59th in OWGR. Needs to continue this consistent run of form to get back in Top 50 but a Top 10 or two would confirm it!

I think Paddy will be confident going into the year end tournaments and he is also in a good positon in the RTD in 25th position after playing just 9 events(I wonder does he have to try and make up events to make sure he qualifies for year end tournament)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Now that the Ryder Cup is out of the way for him I hope he can buckle down and finish off the season well and get back in the top 50 as mentioned. So disappointed with r2 & r3 this week but it was Bethpage Black and he did a v good job on sunday. Would love to see him at least make the tour championship.

ssbob wrote: »
    I think Paddy will be confident going into the year end tournaments and he is also in a good positon in the RTD in 25th position after playing just 9 events(I wonder does he have to try and make up events to make sure he qualifies for year end tournament)

I looked up the membership criteria and there was an article in late 2010 saying that the number of tournaments you need to play for full membership was being increased from 12 to 13.

I don't know what are the consequences of playing less than 13, but it appears that Padraig may have to play another 4 tournaments this year. He usually plays in the dunhill links, but that leaves another two apart from the Dubai finale. Portugal or Andalucia perhaps, plus the Singapore Masters?

Of course, he might also qualify for the HSBC WGC event if he can win one of the tournaments before then or finish in the top 5 in the Fedex Cup who are not already qualified.

Harrington: "The dogs in the street knew I wasn’t getting a pick"
    BY BRIAN KEOGH MONDAY, AUGUST 27, 2012 AT 23:55

“And my two picks to join and complete this team are Nicolas Colsaerts and Ian Poulter.” European captain José María Olazábal makes it official. Picture Stuart Adams www.golftourimages.com
    Padraig Harrington took his Ryder Cup wildcard blow on the chin but insisted he’ll roar back under an Irish skipper in 2014.

Sorry Soundsham, have to edit this post. As mentioned recently - it is now illegal to print copyrighted material in its entirety. Please link to the original article.

Listened to this interview on Off The Ball last night and could hear the dissapointment in his voice. On a funny side of things, I can't imagine Harry sitting down for 10 hours watching golf:D Surely be practicing putting or something!

Sorry mod didn't know that

RT @IrishGolfDesk: Harrington: "The dogs in the street knew I wasn’t getting a pick" http://t.co/zNuCMFMF  #padraigharrington #rydercup #josemariaolazabal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

abff wrote: »
    I looked up the membership criteria and there was an article in late 2010 saying that the number of tournaments you need to play for full membership was being increased from 12 to 13.

I don't know what are the consequences of playing less than 13, but it appears that Padraig may have to play another 4 tournaments this year. He usually plays in the dunhill links, but that leaves another two apart from the Dubai finale. Portugal or Andalucia perhaps, plus the Singapore Masters?

From memory he has played the tournament in Vilamoura a few times so I'd guess he may again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

soundsham wrote: »
    Sorry mod didn't know that

RT @IrishGolfDesk: Harrington: "The dogs in the street knew I wasn’t getting a pick" http://t.co/zNuCMFMF  #padraigharrington #rydercup #josemariaolazabal

no worries.

Sad to see him so far down the field. Hopefully, tomorrow will be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

so far down, he's stone last, bit of given up job going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

A fan of PH but he didn't deserve a pick for Ryder Cup.

A fan of PH but he didn't deserve a pick for Ryder Cup.

Maybe he ran out of steam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

sector wrote: »
    so far down, he's stone last, bit of given up job going on there.

67 would suggest otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

should see him make the next leg of the fedex cup.....

fair dues to him....must be tough to go out early and shoot a decent score.

Might move up another small bit if people ahead crumble! Think he and GMAC were playing together today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

He was sure to be top 70 even if he had missed the cut (birdied last in round 2 to make it). Will need to be pushing top 5 next week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement