Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭abff

He was sure to be top 70 even if he had missed the cut (birdied last in round 2 to make it). Will need to be pushing top 5 next week.

Yes, looking at the points, I think top 5 would probably do it. 6th or 7th might get him in, but only if other results go his way.

I agree that he was pretty safe today, but a freak combination of scores could have knocked him out if he finished below 70th and the 67 will hopefully restore some confidence for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Good final round and helped improve his FEDEX ranking no end but got no world ranking points for that finish and is back down to 62 in the world. Even if he does not qualify for the Tour Championship he still needs to pick up a decent amount of ranking points next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Deplasterer

Long & tougher course might suit him better hopefully this week. Birdie fests courses tend not to be his cup of tee, surprising given his length off the tee. Short game still letting him down badly. Needs to sort that out for next year, used to be his primary weapon.

Great eagle to finish by Padraig for a 65 and 9 under overall. Still has a lot to do to make it to the Tour Championship, but today is a big step in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

4 shots back. Wouldn't it be great if ...I daren't dream but I'll stick a fiver on him at 33/.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Very impressed with how Paddy is holing out this week from inside 10 feet. The US feed are only showing his putts but his game overall seems to be in great shape coz he's hit some iron shots stiff in the first 3 rounds. Where does he need to finish to make it to next week, top 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

madds wrote: »
    Very impressed with how Paddy is holing out this week from inside 10 feet. The US feed are only showing his putts but his game overall seems to be in great shape coz he's hit some iron shots stiff in the first 3 rounds. Where does he need to finish to make it to next week, top 3?
    I think 4th or better would do it for him. He basically needs about 600-700 points and there are 750 points for 4th and 550 for 5th. T4 with one other player could possibly do it for him but it's tight.

madds wrote: »
    Where does he need to finish to make it to next week, top 3?

As things currently stand, he needs to finish no worse than a two way tie for 4th. It's a moving target though and he may need to finish no worse than 4th on his own (which would almost certainly be enough) or 5th on his own could possibly do it (but probably not).

Good start for Padraig. 25 foot putt for birdie.

Oops. Bogeyed the 2nd.

• Advertisement

Still level after 5. Needs a birdie or two in the next few holes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

They are just not dropping for PH today, pity as he seems to be playing well.

Yikes! Double bogey at the 17th. Took four from just off the green. Dream over.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

abff wrote: »
    Yikes! Double bogey at the 17th. Took four from just off the green. Dream over.

dream was over last weekend but I was still hoping for a strong finish from PH today. Pity.

EDIT - second hardest hole today, still, pity!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Up to 57th in the world after another top 25 finish. That's 3 top 10s and 11 top 25s out of 18 tourneys this year on the pga tour, earning him over $1.5m. Pretty consistent play this year. His best year since 2009. If only he sank a few more putts, he'd surely have made the top 50 in the world and maybe had a win this year by now.

Anyone know what his schedule will be - presumably back to Europe for a couple of tournaments and then off to Asia?

PRAF wrote: »
    Up to 57th in the world after another top 25 finish. That's 3 top 10s and 11 top 25s out of 18 tourneys this year on the pga tour, earning him over $1.5m. Pretty consistent play this year. His best year since 2009. If only he sank a few more putts, he'd surely have made the top 50 in the world and maybe had a win this year by now.

Anyone know what his schedule will be - presumably back to Europe for a couple of tournaments and then off to Asia?

I'd imagine he is defintely playing the Dunhill Links championship but after that I don't know. I would imagine he will try to get in another tournament though unless he feels like he needs a break.

This week again could have been so much better, but last week runied his chances for the Tour Championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭speeding

Great to see padraig being somewhat consistent again !! Really hope he can keep the improvement ongoing for next 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

Getting back into the worlds top 50 is important now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

currently 57th, so needs a top 3 to get in there....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

He has a good record at the Dunhill Links, hopefully a high finish there will see him make the top 50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

RikkFlair wrote: »
    He has a good record at the Dunhill Links, hopefully a high finish there will see him make the top 50

Think he did ok there last year (15th or something) so he'll need to better that to pickup points.

PRAF wrote: »
    Think he did ok there last year (15th or something) so he'll need to better that to pickup points.

8th last year. In the 10 years of the event he has 2 wins, 2 other top 5 and 2 top 10. I'm not sure if he has as good a record in any other tournament tbh.

Must be JP MacManus spurring him on ;)

RikkFlair wrote: »
    8th last year. In the 10 years of the event he has 2 wins, 2 other top 5 and 2 top 10. I'm not sure if he has as good a record in any other tournament tbh.

Must be JP MacManus spurring him on ;)

He just enjoys links golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Trampas

I would like to see him take a few months off when the season is over for him and not even look/think of a club/swing etc

Come back refreshed in 2013. Ranking might take a small hit but I think he would benefit from it.

Also get rid of dr bob and just grip it and rip it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

Trampas wrote: »

Also get rid of dr bob and just grip it and rip it

That won't happen and nor do I think it should. It wouldn't suit him at all. He needs to stay true to himself.

Maybe its a typo but on his tour diary report he said he's taking a 3 week break which would mean skipping the Dunhill for first time ever :confused:

Edit: Never mind, just noticed theres no event the week before Ryder Cup

Good round today and currently joint 2nd at Portugal Masters. 69 67 -6.

Could have been so much better though. Has played the back 9 superbly but the front 9 has been a mixed bag so far.

What is happening with Padraig today? That's six holes gone and not a green hit in regulation yet (not even the par 5). And a 2 to 3 footer missed on the 4th.

Hopefully, he'll bounce back on the back nine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Good to see Shane Lowry up there competing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Aidric wrote: »
    Good to see Shane Lowry up there competing.
    I thInk you will find this is about PH. But of course you would have a pop. I think it's time for the PH haters to start a thread dedicated to it. Other posters can discus PH sensibly. Maybe start a SL thread, sure that wouldnt be a much fun would it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement