Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Well done P.H, nice cheque :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

Well done Padraig, nice to see his name on top again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

abff wrote: »
    I guess that depends on whether you are are a glass half full or glass half empty type of guy.

More a case of checking to see if the bottom of the glass is really wet or not. And then trying to convince yourself that that counts as half full.
    I guess one has to be a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭abff

Can we split this into two threads? One for the fans (also known as the good guys) and one for the haters (also known as the begrudgers).

Can we split this into two threads? One for the fans (also known as the good guys) and one for the haters.

No hater here. Far from. Greatly respect PH's record, tour victories, win down the stretch for the USPGA was fantastic, phenomenal golf for the second Open. Irelands greatest international sportsman IMHO.

But keep this 'victory' in perspective guys.

• Advertisement

Can we split this into two threads? One for the fans (also known as the good guys) and one for the haters (also known as the begrudgers).

I'd love that, I'm not accusing anyone but this thread stinks with begrudgery. It drives me mad.

m r c wrote: »
    I'd love that, I'm not accusing anyone but this thread stinks with begrudgery. It drives me mad.

Thats a bit unfair. No begrudgery. No hater.

It is not unresonable to make the considered point I feel, that a four man field in golf is not a tournment. Yes he picked up the winners cheque. But big wow. If you were playing at your club some weekend, and rather than the usual 150 or whatever, competitors, there were only 3 others. But you beat them. Would you seriously be telling yourself 'well, a win is a win, well played me'?

Almaviva wrote: »
    No hater here. Far from. Greatly respect PH's record, tour victories, win down the stretch for the USPGA was fantastic, phenomenal golf for the second Open. Irelands greatest international sportsman IMHO.

But keep this 'victory' in perspective guys.

OK, point taken. But I don't think anyone was losing perspective.

I'm just glad that's he's won something (anything) and hope that he can kick on from here. He's been playing really well for some time now, but has been inconsistent and seemed to lack confidence. My hope is that this win (even if it was a very small field) will give him back some of his missing confidence and allow him to be the player we all know he can be.

Thats a bit unfair. No begrudgery. No hater.

It is not unresonable to make the considered point I feel, that a four man field in golf is not a tournment. Yes he picked up the winners cheque. But big wow. If you were playing at your club some weekend, and rather than the usual 150 or whatever, competitors, there were only 3 others. But you beat them. Would you seriously be telling yourself 'well, a win is a win, well played me'?

Wasn't really referring to you as such tbh, go back over some if the pages and you can see plenty though.

To answer your question though, in a word yes.

All any sportsman can do is beat the field. I'd take a win in my home club in a competition in any way it came. Once you play your best and win fairly that's all anyone can ask of me or indeed Paddy.
    I say well done.

m r c wrote: »
    All any sportsman can do is beat the field. I'd take a win in my home club in a competition in any way it came. Once you play your best and win fairly that's all anyone can ask of me or indeed

Indeed. And all your above is true. But the quality of the field determines the worth of the victory. And in this case with PH, the worth is negligible to nil. Surely, even in your own case that is true. You must draw the line somewhere. If the comp you won had a single oponent, who took up the game yesterday, surely you win is of no value whatsoever. Not quite so extreme in this PH case. But in the world of elite golf, almost as valueless (except for the $$$ !).

• Advertisement

Indeed. And all your above is true. But the quality of the field determines the worth of the victory. And in this case with PH, the worth is negligible to nil.

I'm struggling to understand why you are making this point so strongly. The world ranking of the players PH beat is as follows:

7 Bubba Watson 8 Webb Simpson 14 Keegan Bradley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Indeed. And all your above is true. But the quality of the field determines the worth of the victory. And in this case with PH, the worth is negligible to nil. Surely, even in your own case that is true. You must draw the line somewhere. If the comp you won had a single oponent, who took up the game yesterday, surely you win is of no value whatsoever. Not quite so extreme in this PH case. But in the world of elite golf, almost as valueless (except for the $$$ !).

Nobody is claiming this is the greatest victory of his career, however, you can only beat what's put in front of you in whatever tournament you play. He beat some of the worlds best over the last two days. IMO you have to congratulate the guy for doing his job well.

As others have said, this could be the confidence boost he needs to go and compete in, and maybe win, a few more big ones.

It's great to see all of the Irish guys doing so well - Harrington, McIlroy, GMAC, Big Darren, Shame Lowry - we can be proud of them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Fair play Paddy-

knew you would get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Surprised at the view that this 'win' is worth anything at all or that PH can gain an confidence or momentum from it, etc. It is a non-event. He beat 3 players!
    Its just another payday for him. A good one. But thats all. By no stretch could you count this as a win for any professional golfer, or give him any golfing credit for it.

Any chance you could quote the posts where people were going overboard or losing the run of themselves? I can't find one. You're post is the first post in the thread that has a lack of perspective.

Also, if you can't give somebody 'golfing credit' for, erm, PLAYING WELL AT GOLF.... when the heck can ya??

An Irish pro golfer won a golf tournament he entered this week and Irish golf fans talked about it on a Golf Forum.... imagine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

It just shows what he can do if he just goes out and plays and forgets about all this ott preparation, mental waffle, swing meddling, etc. He won because he got a last minute invite and didn't have time for paralysis by analysis to set in.

Su Campu wrote: »
    It just shows what he can do if he just goes out and plays and forgets about all this ott preparation, mental waffle, swing meddling, etc. He won because he got a last minute invite and didn't have time for paralysis by analysis to set in.

That's a good point. I think the relaxed atmosphere and banter that was going on may also have been a factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

I'm struggling to understand why you are making this point so strongly. The world ranking of the players PH beat is as follows:

7 Bubba Watson 8 Webb Simpson 14 Keegan Bradley

Add to that 3 of the last 5 major winners!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Okay, he won but it is a tainted win in all honesty, three competitors over two rounds, there is a big difference between two good rounds and three good rounds and an even greater difference between three good rounds and four good rounds and that's what's required to win a regular event, four good rounds.
    Here's hoping he'll get there on merit next year, for a lad of such low ranking he is ever confident in his game and here'd hoping a win "proper" and boost of real confidence.
    I still believe he had a major left in him, Ernie should be his inspiration

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Fair play Paddy.

A win is a win in my eyes, he still went out and shot -9 for 2 days golf. He has beaten 3 top class & in form players who are all higher than him in the rankings.

He will push on from here, he is playing much more consistent this year than he did last year and should he maintain this level of consistency it won't be long before he get's a tour event under his belt.

To answer the posts above, you can only beat what is put in front of you and that's exactly what he did this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Would he not have been better off playing for big ranking points in Shanghai to try and get back in the Top 50, which should be his major priority at the moment?

That's my only issue with this, otherwise fair play on the win, -9 for 2 days is good shooting.

• Advertisement

SSK wrote: »
    Would he not have been better off playing for big ranking points in Shanghai to try and get back in the Top 50, which should be his major priority at the moment?

That's my only issue with this, otherwise fair play on the win, -9 for 2 days is good shooting.

Well financially it was probably a good call (now that he won) as only a top 2 finish in the BMW would have won him more. It's his biggest cheque in 3 years. He has until next March to make the top 50. Could be a different story next year if he needs Masters qualification for 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I think he will garner confidence from this, problem is that the season is in effect basically over. If this was in March or June, It would point to great things.

Lets see how he gets on for the rest of the season and then we will know what effect it has had.

Sure why dont we set up a poll about where he will be in 3/6/12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Still saw a few chinks in his game particularly over the closing stretch!

His chip on the par 3 16th was piss poor (same the previous day)

His approach on 17 was dreadful from the centre of the fairway with a 5 iron!

And his tee shot on 18 was very poor which set up another bogey!

However, the win is important for him and with the others all major winners too it is still a nice 2 days work!

scout353 wrote: »
    Still saw a few chinks in his game particularly over the closing stretch!

His chip on the par 3 16th was piss poor (same the previous day)

His approach on 17 was dreadful from the centre of the fairway with a 5 iron!

And his tee shot on 18 was very poor which set up another bogey!

However, the win is important for him and with the others all major winners too it is still a nice 2 days work!

I would say those chinks you pointed out were completely down to nerves on the last day, the Par 3 the previous day where he got too much check on his chip, even the commentators said he hit a good chip there but got a bit unlucky because of the wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

ssbob wrote: »

I would say those chinks you pointed out were completely down to nerves on the last day, the Par 3 the previous day where he got too much check on his chip, even the commentators said he hit a good chip there but got a bit unlucky because of the wind!

He made the putt. He parred the hole. Your chip is only as good as your putt. Pointing it out as a 'chink' is pretty laughable.

He won the golf tournament. What else needs to be said??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

SSK wrote: »

He is still eligible for all majors and most of the WGCs next year due to his PGA win in '08 so i don't think he is panicking just yet about getting back into the top 50.
    He still has 3 or 4 events left in him this year so i reckon he should make it back in barring any disasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

dvemail wrote: »
    He is still eligible for all majors and most of the WGCs next year due to his PGA win in '08 so i don't think he is panicking just yet about getting back into the top 50.
    He still has 3 or 4 events left in him this year so i reckon he should make it back in barring any disasters.

I dont think his major wins apply as exemption to any WGC events. And the match play is strictly the top 64(he is at the moment). Correct me if i am wrong on this though.
    He is not in the WGC in China and i think you require top 50 to guarantee your spot in the other 2 WGC events with different criteria kicking in for players outside the top 50.

kiers47 wrote: »
    I dont think his major wins apply as exemption to any WGC events. And the match play is strictly the top 64(he is at the moment). Correct me if i am wrong on this though.
    He is not in the WGC in China and i think you require top 50 to guarantee your spot in the other 2 WGC events with different criteria kicking in for players outside the top 50.

Correct all WGC events have different criteria, wouldnt be in next weeks even if he was in the top 50.

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    He made the putt. He parred the hole. Your chip is only as good as your putt. Pointing it out as a 'chink' is pretty laughable.

He won the golf tournament. What else needs to be said??

I wasn't calling it a chink, the previous poster did, I was pointing out that the so called bad shots were prob down to nerves from a lack of being in that position in recent times. Harry has played substantially better this year than last year.

Correct all WGC events have different criteria, wouldnt be in next weeks even if he was in the top 50.

A win in Shanghai surely would have got him in no? It is the "Tournament of Champions"

Either way, he'll be back in the Top 50 by 31/12 I would put a bet on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

He still dropped two shots in closing 3 holes and the par on 17 was almost equivalent to a bogey (his mic picked up him telling Ronan that he jibbed/funked/whatever your local word for "was afraid to hit it") so nerves or not he is still not 100% though he is far closer to his 'A' game than he has been in a while!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement