Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

ssbob wrote: »
    A win in Shanghai surely would have got him in no? It is the "Tournament of Champions"

Either way, he'll be back in the Top 50 by 31/12 I would put a bet on it!

A win would have of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I wasn't calling it a chink, the previous poster did, I was pointing out that the so called bad shots were prob down to nerves from a lack of being in that position in recent times. Harry has played substantially better this year than last year.

Yep, I know that. I was actually agreeing with you, in my own sort of way :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭abff

Good to see a lot of balanced comments here. It was great that he won, but not necessarily proof that's he's back on top of his game. Like most of the people on this thread, I hope it's a harbinger of things to come.

I'm kinda bemused by the few comments that are at either extreme. :eek:

scout353 wrote: »
    He still dropped two shots in closing 3 holes and the par on 17 was almost equivalent to a bogey (his mic picked up him telling Ronan that he jibbed/funked/whatever your local word for "was afraid to hit it") so nerves or not he is still not 100% though he is far closer to his 'A' game than he has been in a while!

Actually, he dropped one. At the 18th. Where he needed to get down in 3 putts to win. And did.

Another missed cut, unfortunately. The only time he was shown on sky today was at the 18th where he hit a low cut from trees to skip across the water in front of the green and get up and down for par. Sporting a somewhat bizarre fu manchu for movember.

Hopefully, he can out together four good round next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

What has he growing on his face looks so funny. Only PH could pull that off.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

Top class interview by Harrington. Spoke in length and detail about a lot of things including Rory's 2016 Olympic conundrum and anchored putters. Very good

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

its for Movember.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

He said he noticed that in 63% of his putts in this season his eye was just short of being exactly over the ball
    The extra weight of the musher sorted this and added 2.3 yds to his driving

soundsham wrote: »
    He said he noticed that in 63% of his putts in this season his eye was just short of being exactly over the ball
    The extra weight of the musher sorted this and added 2.3 yds to his driving

I love it! :);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

dines08 wrote: »
    Top class interview by Harrington. Spoke in length and detail about a lot of things including Rory's 2016 Olympic conundrum and anchored putters. Very good

Yeah, it was a super interview. He can't but be honest. An interviewers dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MungoMan

any link to the interview ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Seves Three Iron

Yeah, it was a super interview. He can't but be honest. An interviewers dream.

Harrington a very interesting interviewee alrite. I would stop short of the idea that he's an open book though. Hard to think that someone so expert at managing their image and profile would not withhold an awful lot of himself. At least I hope he does, so I can keep wondering what's really going on behind those eyes!

In my list of interesting sports people he's up there with Roy Keane, Ger Loughnane and Jim McGuinness. Some fourball that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Harrington a very interesting interviewee alrite. I would stop short of the idea that he's an open book though. Hard to think that someone so expert at managing their image and profile would not withhold an awful lot of himself. At least I hope he does, so I can keep wondering what's really going on behind those eyes!

In my list of interesting sports people he's up there with Roy Keane, Ger Loughnane and Jim McGuinness. Some fourball that!

Eamon Dunphy, Ted Walsh, Pat Spillane and George Hook as their caddies.:D

Finished with two birdies for a 68 today. Currently tied 9th but likely to be around 15th by the time the round finishes (unless the wind gets stronger). Hopefully he'll have a good round tomorrow to pick up a few ranking points and get closer to the top 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭big_drive

No double bogies this week so far. I think it's one area he has improved in past few months, before that he was having a couple per round while also having plenty birdies. Now he seems to be more consistent & not making silly errors which lead to doubles

Back up to 59th in the WGR. Those 2 missed cuts in Asia were a blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Back up to 59th in the WGR. Those 2 missed cuts in Asia were a blow.

Although if he can remain in the top 64 by the time the WGC Matchplay event comes around then makes no difference, get thru a the first couple of rounds and that should secure his place in the Top 50.

One thing going for Paddy is that 2011 was an awful year for him and should he start making a few cuts then the points he will gain will far outweigh the points he will lose.

Although if he can remain in the top 64 by the time the WGC Matchplay event comes around then makes no difference, get thru a the first couple of rounds and that should secure his place in the Top 50.

One thing going for Paddy is that 2011 was an awful year for him and should he start making a few cuts then the points he will gain will far outweigh the points he will lose.

Does anyone know when he plays next? He has traditionally taken a long break in December/January and this has caused him to slide down the rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

abff wrote: »
    Does anyone know when he plays next? He has traditionally taken a long break in December/January and this has caused him to slide down the rankings.

He is definitely not playing anything else before christmas, but I reckon he will play in Dubai and Abu Dhabi in January.

• Advertisement

He is definitely not playing anything else before christmas, but I reckon he will play in Dubai and Abu Dhabi in January.

Nothing much happening between now and Christmas except for some of the "wheelbarrow" events. Another example of the rich getting richer. I'm somewhat ambivalent about the validity of granting OWGR points for these events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Pity about those two missed cuts. I think the first was a bit of a hangover after winning the PGA Grand Slam. The second missed cut was due to sickness. I think he had a bad flu or something. Anyway, good to see him back in form. All he needs is a win, a couple of top 3s, or a handful of top 10s and he should be safely back in the top 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭ronjo

Harrington was ranked in the top 10 at end of year on 7 different occasions in the Noughties.
    I hadnt realised he was so consistently that high.

Any chance we will ever see that again?

ronjo wrote: »
    Harrington was ranked in the top 10 at end of year on 7 different occasions in the Noughties.
    I hadnt realised he was so consistently that high.

Any chance we will ever see that again?

I'd love to think it could happen, but it's difficult to see him being consistently in the top ten over the next several years. However, he should get back into the top 50 and he still has the game to win tournaments, including more majors if he can pull everything together for four successive rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AloKildare

Good start to the year at the Volvo Golf Champions for Padraig, he finished 4th. His new putting technique seems to be working, he holed a few nice putts over the weekend. Hopefully this is the start of a great season for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭big_drive

I can see him getting a big win this year.

Any idea what improvement this finish will have for his world ranking?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

big_drive wrote: »

I'd love him to win a major after all the stick he has got.

One thing for him, is he can finish strong on day 4. He has unbelievable self belief, unlike some of the lads who should be winning majors and are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AloKildare

big_drive wrote: »

I haven't got a clue with regards the world rankings, we'll see in the morning!

today should book his place in the matchplay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

AloKildare wrote: »
    Good start to the year at the Volvo Golf Champions for Padraig, he finished 4th. His new putting technique seems to be working, he holed a few nice putts over the weekend. Hopefully this is the start of a great season for him.

Strong start to the season. Played really well last year, lots of top 25s and a good smattering of top 10s. Just couldn't hole a few more putts each week to turn then into top 5s and top 3s. Hopefully this is his year!

Good to see Lowry start well too. A top 10 for him makes it a good weeks work for the Irish

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement