Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

ssbob wrote: »
    Any idea when Ryder Cup qualification begins? Harry was "unlucky" with his 2011 form because 2 years like 2012 would have got him into last years team!

Think its starts from the beginning of the 2013 season till August 2014. So hopefully he can keep the good form going and no doubt will improve as the season goes on.

If his short game is back on form, I'd imagine he could actually win a major this year. his mind seems to be in a better place. He played well in the US Open last year which is typically the hardest event, with the weather and rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Any idea when Ryder Cup qualification begins? Harry was "unlucky" with his 2011 form because 2 years like 2012 would have got him into last years team!

Its usually early September so I think its the Euro Masters in Switzerland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Its usually early September so I think its the Euro Masters in Switzerland.

Am I right in saying that the Captain can influence the selection process, i.e. when it starts, how many picks, etc. I wonder will McGinley try to change things a little bit?

PRAF wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that the Captain can influence the selection process, i.e. when it starts, how many picks, etc. I wonder will McGinley try to change things a little bit?

Not sure about influencing when it starts but yeah Monty had 3 wildcards and then Olazabal changed it back to 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭abff

Not sure about influencing when it starts but yeah Monty had 3 wildcards and then Olazabal changed it back to 2.

I'm not sure that was Olly's decision. I think the change was made when they changed the way in which automatic qualification worked by having European Tour points count first, thereby making it easier for those who play mostly in the States to qualify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Go Padraig -2 after 2. In Abu Dhabi HSBC

Bogey on 3. :o

The joys of loving Paddy - Paddy when I'm annoyed. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Birdie on 4, par on 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭IanPoulter

Finished level par tied 34th. 4 birds and 4 bogies. Too many bogies to be a contender.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

IanPoulter wrote: »
    Finished level par tied 34th. 4 birds and 4 bogies. Too many bogies to be a contender.

Contender for what :confused: First round leader??

• Advertisement

Contender for what :confused: First round leader??

For the tournament obviously. Trying naming a player who won a european tour event with 4 bogies on the first day. But as usual you cant open your mouth about PH on this forum without someone taking it personally :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

For the tournament obviously. Trying naming a player who won a european tour event with 4 bogies on the first day. But as usual you cant open your mouth about PH on this forum without someone taking it personally :mad:

I am sure paddy had 4 bogies in Royal Birkdale on day 1 of the 2008 Open championship.......he shot a 74!

Still level Par is only 5 back, it's only day one, he is not out of the tournament!

Tiger had 4 bogies as well, are you writing him off too?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I am sure paddy had 4 bogies in Royal Birkdale on day 1 of the 2008 Open championship.......he shot a 74!

Still level Par is only 5 back, it's only day one, he is not out of the tournament!

It's not even a PH thing, saying 4 bogies from any player rules him out of contention is ludicrous. I’m sure last week’s winner had a few in round 1 and at least 6 in round 3. Tiger may as well go home now as well using this logic.

Must be a tough course, the scores are a little on the high side.

I think PH said that his form was patchy enough last week. Tee to green was a bit off. His short game and putting kept him in it. Looks like it was something similar today, what did he hit 9 greens out of 18?

I think it'll be a while yet before we see him really hit top form. No point in peaking too early anyway, he needs to save his best stuff for the majors!

I was referring to your average European tour event where the winning score is normally between -12 and -24 - not a Major on a windy links

Yeah I think so - Paddy Power going 10/1 so I'd say they've written him off at that price
    It's not even a PH thing, saying 4 bogies from any player rules him out of contention is ludicrous. I’m sure last week’s winner had a few in round 1 and at least 6 in round 3. Tiger may as well go home now as well using this logic.

But it is a PH thing. That's the person I'm talking about. 4 bogies in round 1 tells you how he's playing.

Stats: Fairways 7/14
    GIR 9
    Scrambles 6/9
    Sand Saves 2/2

Those stats won't win any tournament

I'm a PH fan but the blinkers have to come off during a discussion on him.

But it is a PH thing. That's the person I'm talking about. 4 bogies in round 1 tells you how he's playing.

GIR 9
    Scrambles 6/9
    Sand Saves 2/2

Is there a possibility that you're trying so hard not be blinkered that you're leaning a bit too far in the other direction? He definitely needs to tighten up his game over the next three days, but I think it's a bit early to be writing him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

I was referring to your average European tour event where the winning score is normally between -12 and -24 - not a Major on a windy links

Yeah I think so - Paddy Power going 10/1 so I'd say they've written him off at that price

GIR 9
    Scrambles 6/9
    Sand Saves 2/2

You said because he had four bogies today he can't win. Which is ridiculous.

If you say he can't win because of the stats, then fair enough, that wasn't your original argument.

And for the record Oosthuizen had three bogies in his first round last week as well as six in his third round, and still won.

And my blinkers are well and truly off, cheers.

Too many errors again today for Paddy, he is prone to the double bogey nowadays however he should safely make the cut and a good weekend might push him into the top-20 which would get him some nice World Ranking Points.

@IanPoulter I think Paddy goes out every week to win but is only ever in top physical and mental state come major time. Already this week his putting is improved, if he was putting like this in last years Masters/US Open, he could have won both those tournaments. It's all about the Majors now for Paddy!

I sure am now !

• Advertisement

I sure am now !

Wow, the Nike boys must be a bit rusty. Tiger and Rory both miss the cut unless they turn it around. Plenty of time to do so though...

I sure am now !

You can judge Tiger differently, he is still picking up his appearance fee for two rounds rather than four!

PRAF wrote: »
    Wow, the Nike boys must be a bit rusty. Tiger and Rory both miss the cut unless they turn it around. Plenty of time to do so though...

Interesting to see Adidas man , quietly distroy them - the number of long shots that Kaymer has nearly holed is amazing. Some ropey driving, but hopefully we are going to get the old Kaymer this year.

Interesting to see Adidas man , quietly distroy them - the number of long shots that Kaymer has nearly holed is amazing. Some ropey driving, but hopefully we are going to get the old Kaymer this year.

Hear, hear re Kaymer. Looking forward to seeing him compete for the big prizes again. Hopefully the Ryder Cup was the pick me up that he needed.

Bad day for the World No 1 & 2. I doubt the sponsors will be happy, the two of them must've picked up big appearance money for the week. Still, just shows that anyone can miss the cut on any given week. I fully expect both of them to win multiple times this year and be 1 & 2 at year end

As for Paddy, solid enough scoring but looks like it could be an average enough week for him.

I expect Padraig to move up over the weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes in the top ten to consolidate his top 50 position in the world rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Double bogeys par 3 15th two days in a row, now that's just careless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Two birdies to finish on a positive note. Currently tied 30th.

Rose is controlling his lead well.

Aidric wrote: »
    Double bogeys par 3 15th two days in a row, now that's just careless.

I've just checked the stats and there's only been 5 double bogeys so far in almost three days play on the 15th. Any idea what he did? Is there an out of bounds?

Nice to see the birdie birdie finish. Hopefully he have a decent round tomorrow to consolidate his top 50 ranking. Important he stays there to qualify for Doral.

Looks like top 25 this week. Good, if unspectacular, result. Short game seems to be in good nick if the stats are correct (26/32 up and downs from off the green).

• Advertisement

Steady round today - 3 birdies, 15 pars. However, won't pick up enough WR points to protect his 48th position. He'll drop to at least 50th because Oleson and Coetzee will pass him and he may drop out of the top 50 depending on tonight's results in the US.

Does anyone know when he's playing next? Is it Pebble Beach?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement