Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Number 1 on the putting stats but mainly because he was last in GIR. At least what used to be bogeys are now pars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭big_drive

Was a decent enough showing, kinda harsh to move down the rankings as a result but I guess that's how the rankings operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭abff

Yes, I guess it is kinda harsh. His average points move up slightly, but his position falls because of the performance of players close to him in the rankings. As you say, that's how they work.

If we can keep playing steadily, he'll consolidate his position in the top 50 and hopefully a W will be on the horizon before too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

big_drive wrote: »
    Was a decent enough showing, kinda harsh to move down the rankings as a result but I guess that's how the rankings operate.

Yeah, the rankings reward occasional wins and top 5s much more than consistent top 25s. Same for everyone I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Positives from this week:
    • Made the cut
    • Improved as the week went on
    • Has obviously worked hard on short game over the winter break
    Negatives:
    • Silly doubles are still there
    • Long game is still a bit rusty
    A solid start to the season though. Let's get a W early!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭IanPoulter

abff wrote: »
    Yes, I guess it is kinda harsh. His average points move up slightly, but his position falls because of the performance of players close to him in the rankings. As you say, that's how they work.

If we can keep playing steadily, he'll consolidate his position in the top 50 and hopefully a W will be on the horizon before too long.

Is that the royal we :D

IanPoulter wrote: »
    Is that the royal we :D

Oops. :o I think that should say he. Although I'm sure all the psychic energy I expend hoping he will get the best score possible has a huge impact (no impact at all?) on his results.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

abff wrote: »
    Does anyone know when he's playing next? Is it Pebble Beach?
    Most likely. Don't see anything else pencilled in his schedule until then, not on the European tour at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

50th in the world rankings now.

50th in the world rankings now.

Good to see him hovering in and around the top 50. It'll take a win or a string of top 10s to get him safely inside the top 50. Hopefully his recent good form continues and we see this sooner rather than later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AloKildare

In the Irish Independent today, it confirms that Padraig has a week off and he then plays 4 tournaments in 4 weeks which include:
    • Waste Management Phoenix Open Jan 31 - Feb 3
    • AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am Feb 7 - 10
    • Northern Trust Open Feb 14 - 17
    • WGC - Accenture Match Play Championship Feb 20 - 24

Hopefully he can get a couple of good results in these tournaments to consolidate his place in the top 50 in the world rankings and maybe move back up to where he once was!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Waste Management Phoenix Open is a new one for him, cant recall him playing that in past few years. The 16th there is a crazy hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AloKildare

tang1 wrote: »
    Waste Management Phoenix Open is a new one for him, cant recall him playing that in past few years. The 16th there is a crazy hole.

Yeah its going to be the first time he has played the Phoenix Open . . . . brilliant atmosphere at the 16th hole, they call it the stadium hole I think.

tang1 wrote: »

Yeah id say its his earliest start on the PGA tour by a week or so. Trying to find form early, will have played 6 out 7 weeks by the end of this stretch. Skip the Honda then onto Doral hopefully ;)

AloKildare wrote: »
    In the Irish Independent today, it confirms that Padraig has a week off and he then plays 4 tournaments in 4 weeks which include:
    • Waste Management Phoenix Open Jan 31 - Feb 3
    • AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am Feb 7 - 10
    • Northern Trust Open Feb 14 - 17
    • WGC - Accenture Match Play Championship Feb 20 - 24
    Hopefully he can get a couple of good results in these tournaments to consolidate his place in the top 50 in the world rankings and maybe move back up to where he once was!! :)

Has he definitely qualified for the WGC - Accenture Match Play Championship? If so, it really is easy ranking points. If I'm not mistaken, you get 2 WGR points for just turning up (as much as he just won for coming Top 30 in the Alfred Dunhill Links last year). If you win the thing, you get 70 points.

Unfortunately, Paddy's record in this comp (and in matchplay in general) in recent years is poor enough. Horses for courses and all of that. However, if he manages to win a few matches, he should shoot up the rankings and consolidate his top 50 status

Yes he is secure, only 3 weeks to go. Field is decided on the 11th id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

AloKildare wrote: »
    Yeah its going to be the first time he has played the Phoenix Open . . . . brilliant atmosphere at the 16th hole, they call it the stadium hole I think.

That's it. Paddy relishes those situations so think he may relax and enjoy that week. 4 weeks in a row will be good for him as it is tournament practice and he is away from the range!

ssbob wrote: »
    That's it. Paddy relishes those situations so think he may relax and enjoy that week. 4 weeks in a row will be good for him as it is tournament practice and he is away from the range!

Be nice to see him get a good run at it. He rarely plays more than three weeks in a row, so it will be interesting to see how this works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭n2o

Looking forward to seeing him play this weekend. Teeing off at 8.15am tomorrow so probably won't see much until Friday evening.

Here's a couple of interviews. Interesting stuff about his eyesight.

http://www.pgatour.com/video.html/2013/01/30/harrington-news-conference-before-waste-management

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/jason-sobel/harrington-keeps-refreshingly-unique-attitude/

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/seeing-2020-paddy-sports-some-specs-in-phoenix/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

He is crushing the ball with the driver today. On a nice run too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

looks like birde No. 8 coming up. phil mickelson is flying too.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

stupid f**king shottracker. it lied to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Phil has a putt for a 59

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Lipped the putt.

Great shooting by Paddy, even better by Phil!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Have money on paddy (€1 e/w) . Was 50/1 now into 16's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭Wibbly Wobbly Wonder

Why does Harrington have such a squeaky voice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Why does Harrington have such a squeaky voice ?

Biology forum ---->

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭Wibbly Wobbly Wonder

fullstop wrote: »
    Biology forum ---->

eh ? Are you sure it's not a special breathing technique for swing enhancement ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Seves Three Iron

Harrington benefiting from his work with SV:EYE. He has 20:20 vision but reckons his eyes need retraining to help him read putts properly, hence contacting them.

Apparently he had a right to left bias when reading putts for years. But he found it was left to right in recent times. Hence second guessing himself and putting badly last year.

Wears special glasses in practice now. Had 26 putts only today. Coincidence? Who knows. He does have a history of spikes of initial improvement with new fads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement