Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

love it......

Paudie :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

ohh good jeasuz!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

swoody wrote: »
    love it......

Paudie :pac:

When I seen that add first I thought it was a piss take

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

no wonder he is winning f all,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

That ad, seriously when you are loaded do you need to sell youself for an ad like that?

Sure look at Mcilroy sitting in someones kitchen doing a good impression of a cardboard cut out of himself. Pros love their sponsors!

• Advertisement

Sure look at Mcilroy sitting in someones kitchen doing a good impression of a cardboard cut out of himself. Pros love their sponsors!
    jim furyk 5 hour energy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MungoMan

itll be interesting to see if he can come back and do something special in golf

it should be possible, id love to see him try a new caddy, just to freshen things up.

he has a fantastic caddy who helped him win three majors, but there must come a point when things become a bit unstimulating when two people hang out for seven years nearly every week

a new caddy might give him a new perspective, and a new challenge, and a new beginning

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

MungoMan wrote: »
    itll be interesting to see if he can come back and do something special in golf

it should be possible, id love to see him try a new caddy, just to freshen things up.

he has a fantastic caddy who helped him win three majors, but there must come a point when things become a bit unstimulating when two people hang out for seven years nearly every week

a new caddy might give him a new perspective, and a new challenge, and a new beginning

Worthwhile to compare Harrington to Cabrera?
    Write them off at your peril...Cabrera was ~280 in the rankings before this week... (and he only has 2 majors!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,184 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

GreeBo wrote: »
    Worthwhile to compare Harrington to Cabrera?
    Write them off at your peril...Cabrera was ~280 in the rankings before this week... (and he only has 2 majors!)

??? He said
    Caddy not Cabby

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    ??? He said
    Caddy not Cabby

err? what?
    I wasnt talking about his caddy at all.
    I was asking was it worthwhile to compare Harrington to Cabrera...

"itll be interesting to see if he can come back and do something special in golf"

:confused:

• Advertisement

err? what?
    I wasnt talking about his caddy at all.
    I was asking was it worthwhile to compare Harrington to Cabrera...

"itll be interesting to see if he can come back and do something special in golf"

:confused:

Apologies, I mistook your tangent for a misunderstanding.

Can't see why you'd bring Cabrera into it.
    He was asking would a change of caddy help.

Poster said PH should be able to win again, don't know where "write them off at your peril came from"

Apologies, I mistook your tangent for a misunderstanding.
    Hardly a tangent, its a thread about Harrington that I posed a question about comparing him to another (previously) off form golfer after the last poster has said "itll be interesting to see if he can come back and do something special in golf".
    Can't see why you'd bring Cabrera into it.
    He was asking would a change of caddy help.
    I decided that I didnt have to just reply to the last post and that I could in fact pose my own question based on the thread title.
    Poster said PH should be able to win again, don't know where "write them off at your peril came from"

Again, I'm not directly commentating on everything that the *last* poster said.
    The entire thread is full of people writing of Harrington, Cabrera was out to 250+ in the world rankings and just missed out on winning a major, I think its not too hard to see the relevance to Harrington myself.

BTW, it would be a pretty useless forum if people are restricted to only replying to the last poster. Its a thread, as long as its all about Harrington, its all connected.

BTW, it would be a pretty useless forum if people are restricted to only replying to the last poster. Its a thread, as long as its all about Harrington, its all connected.

(^^^Here's me editing your reply to show others that I am replying to a specific quote.
    It avoids confusion.)

err? what?
    Did I in any way suggest that a forum should be restrict posters to replying to the last poster?
    You are indeed correct in stating that this is a thread :eek:, and as long as it's all about Harrington, it is connected :eek::eek:.
    A point I was already aware about.

MungoMan raised a question would a new caddy freshen things up.
    He didn't write off Harrington.
    Your reply had very little* to do with his post.

*Of course, you were both talking about Harrington, on a thread that's all about Harrington, so it is connected in some way...

MungoMan raised a question would a new caddy freshen things up.
    He didn't write off Harrington.
    I wasnt replying to his question and didnt suggest that he did.

/out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

As a big fan of the guy, I have to say that I was very disappointed with Paddy's performance this week. Just not good enough. To be fair, he is not the only player to have been bamboozled by Augusta this week. Some of those who also failed to make the cut include Martin Laird, Ian Poulter and Hunter Mahan as well as a number of major winners including GMAC, Webb Simpson, YE Yang, and Louis Oosthuizen. However, it still annoys me to see him under achieve.

Looking forward to reading Paddy's review of the week on his website. I'm hoping we get some brutal honesty from him. He is going down the wrong road with some of his fads, gizmos, etc. Paddy is too mechanical and robotic, especially over his putting. Although they didn't win, it was very refreshing to see guys like Cabrera and Snederker play in a free flying, natural, and fast style.

PRAF wrote: »
    As a big fan of the guy, I have to say that I was very disappointed with Paddy's performance this week. Just not good enough. To be fair, he is not the only player to have been bamboozled by Augusta this week. Some of those who also failed to make the cut include Martin Laird, Ian Poulter and Hunter Mahan as well as a number of major winners including GMAC, Webb Simpson, YE Yang, and Louis Oosthuizen. However, it still annoys me to see him under achieve.

Looking forward to reading Paddy's review of the week on his website. I'm hoping we get some brutal honesty from him. He is going down the wrong road with some of his fads, gizmos, etc. Paddy is too mechanical and robotic, especially over his putting. Although they didn't win, it was very refreshing to see guys like Cabrera and Snederker play in a free flying, natural, and fast style.

I'd love to hear from Harrington why he thinks he is doing so badly on the Par 5s recently.

I have no idea why Snedeker and especially Cabrera went for those shots that they dumped into Raes creek...bizarre decision from the leader at the time IMO.

I'd love to hear from Harrington why he thinks he is doing so badly on the Par 5s recently.

It really is bizarre why is doing so badly on the Par 5s. 176th on tour for Par 5 scoring average. My theory is that Harrington's quest for more yards is ultimately self defeating. He has became a reasonably big hitter in recent times. However, he isn't really one of the big hitters. In order to keep up with the Watsons, Woods, Scotts, etc. he'll burst every drive. Those other guys are hitting at about 80% of full capacity most of the time. He is hitting at 100%. As a result, he is off balance and tends to lose accuracy off the tee. He is then hitting into the green from bad spots and putting himself into more trouble.

What he should be doing is playing to his strengths. Get the ball in play, lay up (most of the time) and rely on his short game to pickup easy birdies. He was No.1 last year for distance wedge shots. He is ideally suited to that strategy. However, his focus is on adding yards and his wedge game is actually deterorating.

It really is bizarre why is doing so badly on the Par 5s. 176th on tour for Par 5 scoring average. My theory is that Harrington's quest for more yards is ultimately self defeating. He has became a reasonably big hitter in recent times. However, he isn't really one of the big hitters. In order to keep up with the Watsons, Woods, Scotts, etc. he'll burst every drive. Those other guys are hitting at about 80% of full capacity most of the time. He is hitting at 100%. As a result, he is off balance and tends to lose accuracy off the tee. He is then hitting into the green from bad spots and putting himself into more trouble.

The thing is though that he isnt.
    Harrington hits 1 "bucket" of balls as hard as he can every week so that he knows what 100% is, then he swings/plays at 80%.

I think the problem is going for eagles when it isnt on either due to poor position off the tee or just not being in range. He should easily be able to lay up and get birdie 50% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

I have no idea why Snedeker and especially Cabrera went for those shots that they dumped into Raes creek...bizarre decision from the leader at the time IMO.

Agree with this. Couldn't believe when big Cab went for it. I would have put my house on him laying up. What's wrong with a birdie for gods sake !!

I think the problem is going for eagles when it isnt on either due to poor position off the tee or just not being in range. He should easily be able to lay up and get birdie 50% of the time.

If this is true, then you seriously have to question his on-course strategy and also his caddy.

• Advertisement

From his website, Harrington on his Masters performance
    Harrington wrote:
    I just didn’t play well enough, my long game put me in trouble quite a bit and then my short game wasn’t good enough to make up for the fact that I wasn’t hitting the ball that well.
    Harrington wrote:
    Ultimately I just didn’t do anything that well and I paid the price.

Regarding the par 5s
    Harrington wrote:
    The funny thing was that when I finished and looked back over my round, I could have made the cut had I played the four par fives better, having taken four sixes on them.

Sounds like he is pretty disappointed. Usually there is a lot more positivity in there. Hopefully this disappointment spurs him on to much better things for the rest of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

If this is true, then you seriously have to question his on-course strategy and also his caddy.

I think putting any blame on his caddy is absolutely ludicrous. He's a big boy and he's been around the block for long enough. He knows where he's messing up himself. Personally, from his demenour .. I don't think he's showing the same level of interest, hunger, and crave for winning that he used to. I suppose it's hard when you're playing that poorly compared to what you know you can really play like.

I think putting any blame on his caddy is absolutely ludicrous. He's a big boy and he's been around the block for long enough. He knows where he's messing up himself. Personally, from his demenour .. I don't think he's showing the same level of interest, hunger, and crave for winning that he used to. I suppose it's hard when you're playing that poorly compared to what you know you can really play like.

I think he is definitely showing the interest, I know a few people who know him personally and when asked he always answers, almost in an embarrassed/apologetic way that he loves the game and will be playing and tinkering long into his senior years.

He just loves playing golf. You only have to look at him on the course, always smiling and pleasant, even when missing the cut...compared to say Garcia for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

I think he is definitely showing the interest, I know a few people who know him personally and when asked he always answers, almost in an embarrassed/apologetic way that he loves the game and will be playing and tinkering long into his senior years.

He just loves playing golf. You only have to look at him on the course, always smiling and pleasant, even when missing the cut...compared to say Garcia for example.

At the masters certainly .. whatever coverage there was of him !!! ... I thought he looked almost depressed and he wasn't enjoying it at all.

Re the caddy issue, Paddy seems to have a tendency to over think things, get distracted on his shots, and doubt himself (particularly with green reads). Increasingly, he also seems to be making mistakes with his on course strategy, e.g. the four bogeys on the Augusta par 5s. He also has a tendency to make silly mistakes late on in his rounds (how many times does he seem to bogey the 17th or 18th of a round). These are all areas in which a caddy could play a key role.

IMO Harrington would benefit from having a very confident and assertive character on his bag. He needs someone to step in and say "Hit a hard 7 iron in here", "You're not hitting driver on this one", or "This putt breaks two feet to the left". He also needs someone to say "Why the hell are you working on your long game when your short game last week was muck". Guys like Harrington who are naturally curious and prone to indecision and tinkering need a real hard ass to keep them in check.

Re the caddy issue, Paddy seems to have a tendency to over think things, get distracted on his shots, and doubt himself (particularly with green reads). Increasingly, he also seems to be making mistakes with his on course strategy, e.g. the four bogeys on the Augusta par 5s. He also has a tendency to make silly mistakes late on in his rounds (how many times does he seem to bogey the 17th or 18th of a round). These are all areas in which a caddy could play a key role.

IMO Harrington would benefit from having a very confident and assertive character on his bag. He needs someone to step in and say "Hit a hard 7 iron in here", "You're not hitting driver on this one", or "This putt breaks two feet to the left". He also needs someone to say "Why the hell are you working on your long game when your short game last week was muck". Guys like Harrington who are naturally curious and prone to indecision and tinkering need a real hard ass to keep them in check.

I think he often bogeys 17,18 late in tournaments as he is trying to post a score.
    I agree with everything else that you are saying though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭abff

Maybe he should appoint Steve Williams so that Steve can win a few majors for him!

Harrington needs a ParMate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Trampas

IMO Harrington would benefit from having a very confident and assertive character on his bag. He needs someone to step in and say "Hit a hard 7 iron in here", "You're not hitting driver on this one",

He needs conno on the bag is what you are saying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

He is now on twitter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement