Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Jayzus, the poor man is not much of an advertisement for temperance and clean living or even hard work!! It is such a shame to see one of our greatest hit such a low ebb. Despite evrything, I can never see him throwing in the towel, he will battle on, gotta love the guy.
    If he was a country, he would be Ireland... DonaldDucked!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I'm a huge fan and what he has achieved in golf for this country is already written in stone as legendary, but by Christ he does my head in.

I think at this point his brain needs a reboot, in fact a complete wipe like you would do to a knackered hard drive.

Purge all that information about belly putters, swing enhancement adverts, spectacles, growing beards, multiple swing thoughts, flora proactive, laser eye surgery, and just go back and golf his ****ing ball!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

I think many 'following' Harrington, and even the presence of this thread at all, are making a mistake. PH is a former fine golfer who is finished as a serous contender and winner. His level is now lower ranking journeyman on the slide. Another couple of years and he will finally face reality, then a couple of years 'retirement', before he comes back for the senior tour. He is never going to get it back at this stage, swing, shortgame, putting gimmicks are just a last desperate attempt. And fair play to him for trying - he is a great competitor. But the game is up at this stage.
    You are judging him by an unfairly high standard that is no longer within him. 5 years is a long long time in golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Almaviva wrote: »
    I think many 'following' Harrington, and even the presence of this thread at all, are making a mistake. PH is a former fine golfer who is finished as a serous contender and winner. His level is now lower ranking journeyman on the slide. Another couple of years and he will finally face reality, then a couple of years 'retirement', before he comes back for the senior tour. He is never going to get it back at this stage, swing, shortgame, putting gimmicks are just a last desperate attempt. And fair play to him for trying - he is a great competitor. But the game is up at this stage.
    You are judging him by an unfairly high standard that is no longer within him. 5 years is a long long time in golf.

I would agree with this if it was his driving or long irons etc that had fallen away, but his basic game play, scrambling, putting etc have just evaporated.
    I don't believe this is anything to do with age or that he is finished.
    IMO he is perfectly capable at his age/ability to get back to winning ways but my worry is that he has tinkered so much he has lost something fundamental.
    You dont just lose a shortgame like he had...

He is like someone who has had too much plastic surgery...will they ever be normal again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Its always the putting that goes first, and it just cant be got back.
    And I would guess that his top of the pile shortgame that was key to his best years was given a back seat as he went about the swing tinkering. And its standard slipped as a result. Shortgame needs constant practice no matter how good you are (Faldo had some good quote comparing it to a concert pianist's practice hours).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Its always the putting that goes first, and it just cant be got back.
    And I would guess that his top of the pile shortgame that was key to his best years was given a back seat as he went about the swing tinkering. And its standard slipped as a result. Shortgame needs constant practice no matter how good you are (Faldo had some good quote comparing it to a concert pianist's practice hours).

Didn't Ernie have a horrible run with the putter before turning things around & winning another major?

For a guy who seems lacking confidence on the greens, the conditions at the Wells Fargo cannot be doing him any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

GreeBo wrote: »
    I would agree with this if it was his driving or long irons etc that had fallen away, but his basic game play, scrambling, putting etc have just evaporated.
    I don't believe this is anything to do with age or that he is finished.
    IMO he is perfectly capable at his age/ability to get back to winning ways but my worry is that he has tinkered so much he has lost something fundamental.
    You dont just lose a shortgame like he had...

He is like someone who has had too much plastic surgery...will they ever be normal again?

What are you defining as short game? I think he was no.1 on tour last year for approaches with a wedge in his hand.

Chipping / Pitching / Sand Shots is probably more practice than technique. It's not as if he is duffing his chips (is it?). Sounds like he just needs a kick up the hole. He needs someone to say "No Paddy, that is a terrible idea", "Get out there and do some short game drills for a few hours".

He probably has too many yes men in his camp now.

^
    I'd consider getting up and down when you have missed a GIR as shortgame.

If people were to say "no Paddy, thats a terrible idea" everytime he had a bad idea thats all he would be hearing at the moment...poor bugger...feel sorry for him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭saintastic

PRAF wrote: »
    I think he was no.1 on tour last year for approaches with a wedge in his hand.

I think you are right but he is quite poor with them this year. He said he was unhappy with his wedge game leading up to Augusta.

Just taking five of the stats from the PGA Tour website:

Approach shots from and position on tour:

100-125 yards: 58th
    50-75 yards: 37th
    75-100 yards: 164th
    50-125 yards: 104th
    <100 yards: 147th

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

He probably has too many yes men in his camp now.

Ronan+Flood+Nedbank+Golf+Challenge+Day+One+ZS5cjM7kqsbl.jpg

• Advertisement

saintastic wrote: »
    I think you are right but he is quite poor with them this year. He said he was unhappy with his wedge game leading up to Augusta.

Just taking five of the stats from the PGA Tour website:

Approach shots from and position on tour:

100-125 yards: 58th
    50-75 yards: 37th
    75-100 yards: 164th
    50-125 yards: 104th
    <100 yards: 147th

A shocking decline in his wedge game. He needs to go to a Dave Pelz clinic. Too much time fannying around with his long game and his putting. The wedge game is where you make your money as a pro.

I'd consider getting up and down when you have missed a GIR as shortgame.

GMAC's scrambling % is 72%
    PD's is 60%

If you are missing 6 greens a round, 24 per tournament, that means that Paddy is giving GMAC 3 shots a tournament. That is quite simply a recipe for disaster, especially for a supposed short game genius.

More evidence that he is focussing on the wrong things. You don't need to be a wonderful putter if you are leaving yourself 2 and 3 footer to save par.
    If people were to say "no Paddy, thats a terrible idea" everytime he had a bad idea thats all he would be hearing at the moment...poor bugger...feel sorry for him now.

Disagree. If he respected the person telling him no, and if he actually listened, then he wouldn't have to hear it very much. He'd be told once and he'd change tack. That obviously isn't happening.

GMAC's scrambling % is 72%
    PD's is 60%

If you are missing 6 greens a round, 24 per tournament, that means that Paddy is giving GMAC 3 shots a tournament. That is quite simply a recipe for disaster, especially for a supposed short game genius.

More evidence that he is focussing on the wrong things. You don't need to be a wonderful putter if you are leaving yourself 2 and 3 footer to save par.

Disagree. If he respected the person telling him no, and if he actually listened, then he wouldn't have to hear it very much. He'd be told once and he'd change tack. That obviously isn't happening.

I meant that he is making so many bad decisions at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭abff

That's a very depressing assessment of the situation and I really hope you're wrong. I'm a huge fan, but I have to say the belly putter smacks of desperation. I'm still hopeful that he can turn it round, and I think describing him as a journeyman on the slide is unfair to him and wholly inaccurate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

PH is a former fine golfer who is finished as a serous contender and winner. His level is now lower ranking journeyman on the slide.

That may be true but the normal rules of professional sport don't seem to apply to golf - we all thought Els, Cabrera and Clarke were finished too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Sad to see him bottom of the leader board, very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Fair play to him for playing today and respecting the tournament. Some players wouldn't do that you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I think people should calm down a bit.

This is a guy who was in the mix in the US open less than a year ago.

Of course he is towards the end of his career. He is 41. How many other Irish pros were at his level at 41.

I see him having another great major in next 3 years. Hang up the shoes and clean up in Seniors.

I can even see him have a 2nd comeback in a major in his
    fifties. Langer, Couples etc.

so all the paddy whackers here would need to pace themselves, he will be around for the next 15 years

come on paddy, up one position. (lol)

jaysus, the lads that were unable to shoot lower than Paddy today would want to hang up the shoes. A hacker with no future.

R. Moore
    M Kaymer
    M Manassero
    N Colsaerts
    B Watson

Every golfer has a drop in form.
    It gets harder as you get older, but you have your good days if good enough.

If Padraig doesnt have a top ten in a major in next 3 years, id run naked down o'connell st.. We dont get too many top 10s in majors where i'm from.

• Advertisement

If Padraig doesnt have a top ten in a major in next 3 years, id run naked down o'connell st.. We dont get too many top 10s in majors where i'm from.

Jokes aside, it's a valid point. Perhaps we have become accustomed to success which makes his downfall all the harder to swallow.

Finishing bottom of the field in a regular pga event should refocus the mind. If it doesn't then perhaps he truly has lost it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Is Padraig suffering from psychological illness. They say that some pros go crazy over time analyzing their game.

I'm just wondering, the weight gain, glasses and belly putter? The symptoms maybe of a man who cares too much and is veering into the slightly unhinged area.

I subscribe to the John Daly theory, never over analyse your game. Grip it and rip it.

Although in fairness I don't have 3 Majors under my belt. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

jaysus, the lads that were unable to shoot lower than Paddy today would want to hang up the shoes. A hacker with no future.

R. Moore
    M Kaymer
    M Manassero
    N Colsaerts
    B Watson

Every golfer has a drop in form.
    It gets harder as you get older, but you have your good days if good enough.

I agree with you but I also think you're missing the point to an extent. There was a time when a top-10 in a Major was victory for Harrington. But he surpassed that level and then won three Majors in little over a year. He then dismantled the game that won him those three titles...

Now, he's resorted to putting on weight, wearing glasses he says he doesn't need and using a soon-to-be-banned putter to try help him find some form... Like other people have said, for such a likeable and talented person who has represented Ireland with distinction throughout his career, this regression is just sad to watch...

Even if he gets back to something approaching the level he once was - and no one would be more pleased than me if he did... he has still, in my mind, thrown away these past five years of his career. He had a game that could have won more Majors in that timeframe and he's missed Ryder Cups and WGC events while he was in his golfing prime because of his own inability to stay out of his own goddamn way...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    I agree with you but I also think you're missing the point to an extent. There was a time when a top-10 in a Major was victory for Harrington. But he surpassed that level and then won three Majors in little over a year. He then dismantled the game that won him those three titles...

Now, he's resorted to putting on weight, wearing glasses he says he doesn't need and using a soon-to-be-banned putter to try help him find some form... Like other people have said, for such a likeable and talented person who has represented Ireland with distinction throughout his career, this regression is just sad to watch...

Even if he gets back to something approaching the level he once was - and no one would be more pleased than me if he did... he has still, in my mind, thrown away these past five years of his career. He had a game that could have won more Majors in that timeframe and he's missed Ryder Cups and WGC events while he was in his golfing prime because of his own inability to stay out of his own goddamn way...

Totally agree with you. People have quoted other great players who have come out of slumps but the difference is they did not resort to such eccentric behaviour. Probably changed their clubs around including the putter but nothing like what Padraig has done. It is just sad but I will continue and hope as the memories remain of those great years.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭PAULWATSON

american golf does not suit PH. needs to get back on the euro circuit, maybe a few europro events to get back in the habit of making cuts.

WHIP IT! wrote: »

1) It is not unusual for top pros to dismantle their games when the public think it is great. If people know golf they should know this. Faldo, Woods , on and on. We never know their weakness, they do. The night of his first major , he knew he needed to change. You can not think like them. He spoke to friends that night about change.
    2) many , many pros had a total fall in form , tried clubs, coaches, gym, weight change, putters, to get back. Not easy to madness when goes wrong.
    3) He did not have a choice about about the last 5 years, he knew he won at least one major playing very poor. He wanted to try win more but knew he would not, if he did not change. He doubled down . Brave, it has not worked, but he still nearly got there last year.
    4) We still have no pro from south who looks even in the mix, hopefully shane or young moynihan. But who are all these lads who will give us Sundays at majors ?

Again, I said it before. People forget what it was like before him. Also, there is a chance I'll never see it again in my life. One and only time I cried at golf.

There is nothing wrong with a bit of tinkering, we all do it in our careers to seek improvement. The problem with Harrington is that he has moved from some genuine tinkering to downright gimmickry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

PAULWATSON wrote: »
    american golf does not suit PH. needs to get back on the euro circuit, maybe a few europro events to get back in the habit of making cuts.

Hes missed 4 cuts in 8 events on the pga tour
    two top 10 finishes
    and made 439,000 in prize money

why would he leave the pag tour

I know hes a bit crazy with hes lost form but he can bounce back just like he did at phoenix and the Valero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MungoMan

Paddy has hit an all time low , he was the second worst golfer in his latest tournament

In the masters, he bogeyed all four par 5's in his final round, possibly the first person ever to manage this............his game is a mess at the moment

Lets hope he returns to the honest simple golf he used to play, looks like he is overcomplicating things at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Paralysis through analysis. He's overthought the whole game. Messes about with seemingly everything.

Time to reboot the brain Padraig and go back to the stuff that made you great. Keep it simple. It's certainly not too late.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement