Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

It's just getting really hard to keep supporting the guy. I agree what an earlier poster said about his post round 1 interview. Nothing too positive in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

vienne86 wrote: »
    It's just getting really hard to keep supporting the guy.

Why??

Would you only support your local football team if they were winning?

He represents this country and should be supported...

No matter how nuts he is!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Projected cut moved to even so he might just be around for the weekend's roller coaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Projected cut moved to even so he might just be around for the weekend's roller coaster.
    is it to much of an ask to get it to +1 just to be on the safe side

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

T67 now, looks like we might be watching the 3rd round cut instead.

Very disappointing today, got over the bad start to get to -5 and look comfortable. Alas as someone said earlier he looks like he doesnt even believe in himself anymore. Not much word of Bob these days either.

Fingers crossed he can still play 36 holes this weekend with a somewhat clear head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭abff

T67 now, looks like we might be watching the 3rd round cut instead.

Very disappointing today, got over the bad start to get to -5 and look comfortable. Alas as someone said earlier he looks like he doesnt even believe in himself anymore. Not much word of Bob these days either.

Fingers crossed he can still play 36 holes this weekend with a somewhat clear head.

T65 right now, but I'm not sure my stress levels can handle another two rounds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

pretty bad scoring in the afternoon actually

T61 now. 20 players tied on level par, so possible 3rd round cut if it stays that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

T62 now and 78 players at par or better which would mean no 3rd round cut. 2 of the +1's still on the course though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MungoMan

Paddy deserves a lot of credit for making the cut

Tomorrow, while Paddy is swinging his club into the weekend, many greats of the game wont be there, like Poulter, Vijay, GMac, Furyk, Mickelson, Els and Derek Ernst, all of whom missed the cut.

Paddy no doubt will take confidence in making the cut while other greats have failed.

• Advertisement

ForeRight wrote: »
    Why??

Would you only support your local football team if they were winning?

He represents this country and should be supported...

No matter how nuts he is!!!

Well, I am beginning to think that he is a bit nuts! I agree that he represents this country, and it is great to see the Irish flag on the leaderboard. I get very excited when I see him doing well, but it is so so frustrating to watch him mess up so often. He showed that he had so much talent and a great game, but then proceded to take it apart.....to get to the next level.....but I actually don't thing there IS a next level. I often feel that his disappointing performances have been of his own making, and it's hard to watch. That interview after his round yesterday annoyed me a bit. Anyway, he seems to have got out of jail and has made the cut - delighted for him, and I just PRAY that he makes the most of this weekend, and puts in two good rounds, regardless of where he finishes in the pecking order.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭tigerwood1

was really looking forward to see padraig contend this weekend after his great 68 but was devastated to hear he was at level par after the second round, here's hoping he hits a sixty something tommorow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

it's over.....he's made the cut

tumblr_ml1f3rF8lZ1rmvirlo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

swoody wrote: »
    it's over.....he's made the cut

tumblr_ml1f3rF8lZ1rmvirlo1_500.jpg

Go on yeh good thing, Mad Paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

vienne86 wrote: »
    Well, I am beginning to think that he is a bit nuts! I agree that he represents this country, and it is great to see the Irish flag on the leaderboard. I get very excited when I see him doing well, but it is so so frustrating to watch him mess up so often. He showed that he had so much talent and a great game, but then proceded to take it apart.....to get to the next level.....but I actually don't thing there IS a next level. I often feel that his disappointing performances have been of his own making, and it's hard to watch. That interview after his round yesterday annoyed me a bit. Anyway, he seems to have got out of jail and has made the cut - delighted for him, and I just PRAY that he makes the most of this weekend, and puts in two good rounds, regardless of where he finishes in the pecking order.

I completely agree with all of that but I was questioning you saying you could not support him anymore.

I can tell from your post that you won't stop supporting him ever. Like me you love him for what he has achieved. It's tough to watch his demise but we still look for his name first every week on the leader board.

Liverpool fans didnt stop supporting their team in the last 20 odd years because they haven't won a title.
    I haven't stopped supporting Ireland since trap has made is the whipping boys of international football.

Keep the faith. I truly believe paddy will give us all one more Sunday night of pure joy. Don't ask me when but I still support him and can't wait for it to happen. It will be all the more special as it will be a great surprise considering his form.

Also there is no doubt about him being a bit nuts. The bloke is completely crackers these days but he is a gentleman, does alot of charity work and on a hole is a good representative of this country.

I love you Padraig!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aarymark

its allways the tricolour on the pga site i look for first be worth anything to see paddy win again

I completely agree with all of that but I was questioning you saying you could not support him anymore.

I can tell from your post that you won't stop supporting him ever. Like me you love him for what he has achieved. It's tough to watch his demise but we still look for his name first every week on the leader board.

Liverpool fans didnt stop supporting their team in the last 20 odd years because they haven't won a title.
    I haven't stopped supporting Ireland since trap has made is the whipping boys of international football.

Keep the faith. I truly believe paddy will give us all one more Sunday night of pure joy. Don't ask me when but I still support him and can't wait for it to happen. It will be all the more special as it will be a great surprise considering his form.

Also there is no doubt about him being a bit nuts. The bloke is completely crackers these days but he is a gentleman, does alot of charity work and on a hole is a good representative of this country.

I love you Padraig!

Yep, you're right. I'll always support him, and I agree that he is a true gentleman and great ambassador for Ireland....but I just wish I didn't keep finding myself wanting to sink my fist into my laptop screen when he's playing. I'd love him to just cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,358 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

professional golf is hard :)

I love you Padraig!

I agree with everything you said, including the bit about Liverpool (although in my case, it's even more extreme - I'm a Tottenham fan).

My interest level in a tournament is about ten times higher when he is contending and even if he's not in contention, I'm usually more interested in what's happening to him than I am in what's happening at the top of the leaderboard.

The various disasters (let's try a bit of perspective and call them mishaps) that have befallen our hero in recent years are extremely frustrating for his fans. But they must be a million times more frustrating for him personally.

So when he has a bad result or messes up a good position, I get upset for him, but not upset at him.

I'll be glued to shot tracker over the weekend and hoping he has two good rounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

abff wrote: »
    I'm usually more interested in what's happening to him than I am in what's happening at the top of the leaderboard.

The various disasters (let's try a bit of perspective and call them mishaps) that have befallen our hero in recent years are extremely frustrating for his fans. But they must be a million times more frustrating for him personally.

So when he has a bad result or messes up a good position, I get upset for him, but not upset at him.

I'll be glued to shot tracker over the weekend and hoping he has two good rounds.

Isnt that nudging towards car crash reality TV though rather than following him because he is a genuine contender for a tournament.

Being a fan is fine, but when he is out of his depth and reckoned (by some folks anyway - who while recognising how good he was, but not being fans as such, can possible see his situation a little more objectively than the 'fan') that he will not regain that level again, isnt it a bit pointless?

On the football supporter analogy, Leeds fans might still follow them, but they dont set out thinking 'we might win the Premiership this year' when they are clearly not in the right division. Seems to me Harrington's loyal followers havent quite realised yet what division he is playing in (getting excited about him making a cut is almost pathetic).

• Advertisement

Ssshhhh! He's two under after seven today. Nearly afraid to look!

Almaviva wrote: »
    Isnt that nudging towards car crash reality TV though rather than following him because he is a genuine contender for a tournament.

Being a fan is fine, but when he is out of his depth and reckoned (by some folks anyway - who while recognising how good he was, but not being fans as such, can possible see his situation a little more objectively than the 'fan') that he will not regain that level again, isnt it a bit pointless?

On the football supporter analogy, Leeds fans might still follow them, but they dont set out thinking 'we might win the Premiership this year' when they are clearly not in the right division. Seems to me Harrington's loyal followers havent quite realised yet what division he is playing in (getting excited about him making a cut is almost pathetic).

I don't agree that it's car crash reality TV. When Tottenham were mid table (which they have been for a large proportion of the time I've followed them), it was still their result that interested me most. The same principle applies here. You may call it pointless. I call it being a fan.

And I don't accept that he will not regain a high level (OK, I accept it's unlikely he'll win 3 majors out of 5 at any time in the future) and I'm looking forward to seeing him back in the winner's circle some time in the not too distant future. It may or may not happen (who can predict the future with certainty) but I for one have not given up hope.

Getting back to today...

Looks like the wheels are coming off to some extent. :eek: 22 footer for bogey on the 10th. 158 yards from the hole in 2 on the par 5 11th.

Let's hope he can steady the ship.

10 footer for par on the 11th. At least his putter seems to be working (hope I haven't jinxed it).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Trampas

just found water

Trampas wrote: »
    just found water

IN the bunker for 4. Facing double bogey or worse. :eek::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Trampas

triple and follows it with a bogey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

well, at least hes not last. good man paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭plumber77

dball wrote: »
    well, at least hes not last. good man paddy.

He still has tommorrow to get there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

hes still a legend

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement