Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

BTW,

I would love it if he did turn things around and started being in contention again come Sunday afternoons. I'm just been realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I think it's reading this thread that has wrecked his head :pac:

Lol.

If you are reading Padraig. I love you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

What time does he tee off today?

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    What time does he tee off today?

5pm

I'd love it if he shoots in 60s today.

• Advertisement

BTW,

I would love it if he did turn things around and started being in contention again come Sunday afternoons. I'm just been realistic.

That would be handy so you could jump back on the bandwagon again.

That woukd be handy so you could jump back on the bandwagon again.

You can't even answer a simple question I asked, or back up your own statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

and how can one say he's getting close !!

4 missed cuts out of 9 events this year, compared to two missed cuts in 2012 out of 18 !!!

Where's the logic in that

Where's the logic in Angel Cabrera coming so close at the Masters? Now I will openly state that I don't know as much about golf compared to most people here but everything surely can't be purely based on statistics and logic.

Yes it can give a good indication most of the time but this is sport not science.

Where's the logic in Angel Cabrera coming so close at the Masters? Now I will openly state that I don't know as much about golf compared to most people here but everything surely can't be purely based on statistics and logic.

Yes it can give a good indication most of the time but this is sport not science.

You've shown more logic in that , then some of the "experts" on here.

Clarke
    Els
    Watson
    Nicklaus
    Singh
    Mickelson
    Couples
    Langer

All written off.

You've shown more logic in that , then some of the "experts" on here.

Clarke
    Els
    Watson
    Nicklaus
    Singh
    Mickelson
    Couples
    Langer

All written off.

yet again, you fail to answer my most simplest of questions

• Advertisement

yet again, you fail to answer my most simplest of questions

Ill answer your question when he is top ten in next month or so.

Hard to explain experience.

Any ideas about the few " birdies". How is he pulling them off. 10 flukes?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

But that's silly, of course he's shooting great number without the cock ups.
    You can say that about 101 players on tour.
    Disagree completely.
    Most of the guys dont win because they arent/cant shooting birdies and eagles.
    Its atypical for professionals to have big numbers like Harrington has been throwing in lately.

Ill answer your question when he is top ten in next month or so.

Hard to explain experience.

Any ideas about the few " birdies". How is he pulling them off. 10 flukes?

ok, so again, you can't answer my question.
    And you can't answer it because it defies logic that's why.

But hey, it's your "experience", that will enable him to get a top 10.

Ok, I'll try this again,
    It's a simple question, and if you could answer it with some logic, then maybe we can have a reasonable discussion.

You said he was getting close.

And my question, again, is ..

In 2012 he had two missed cuts out of 18.
    In 2013 he has had 4 missed cuts out of 9.
    How does this show he is getting close or improving ?

he is making more birdies.
    stats can be interpreted in lots of ways...just ask Ilik ;)

ok, so again, you can't answer my question.
    And you can't answer it because it defies logic that's why.

But hey, it's your "experience", that will enable him to get a top 10.

But it is your logic.

He is making enough birdies
    He is having very bad holes, this will be sorted soon
    He is a top class player
    He is still on the right side of 45
    He is very hard working
    He never gives up
    His putting is improving
    He can now improve game that he let slip due to putting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭abff

Sorry to change the subject, but does anyone know if Padraig is playing in the BMW PGA Championship next week? I thought he was due to play in it, but his name does not appear on the entry list on Europeantour.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The professional at my club stated that if you want to win tournaments it is imperative to keep 7's and upwards off your card.
    That is Harrington's problem. There is always a 7 on his card and they are actually getting more frequent not less frequent. Every time I watch him I am waiting on that 7 and it always arrives. It comes more often now.

I would love to see Harrington get back to winning ways but I am of the belief that he need psychological help with this problem. Hope he's getting it.

The professional at my club stated that if you want to win tournaments it is imperative to keep 7's and upwards off your card.
    That is Harrington's problem. There is always a 7 on his card and they are actually getting more frequent not less frequent. Every time I watch him I am waiting on that 7 and it always arrives. It comes more often now.

I would love to see Harrington get back to winning ways but I am of the belief that he need psychological help with this problem. Hope he's getting it.

But you won't win if you are not scoring birdies.

But you won't win if you are not scoring birdies.

If you score 10 birdies and have two treble bogies then in effect you only have 4 birdies. You need to avoid the disasters and he's not doing that. It's getting worse.

If you score 10 birdies and have two treble bogies then in effect you only have 4 birdies. You need to avoid the disasters and he's not doing that. It's getting worse.
    yes but is easier to get rid of the 2 trebles than score 10 birdies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Russman

I think its usually a given that a top pro going to be in with a chance of winning isn't going to have a treble on his card (that week anyway).

PH's inconsistency is baffling and frustrating - IMHO it must be mostly a mental thing, if his swing was all over the place he wouldn't be shooting 10 birdies. I also reckon his obsession with the swing/long game over the last few years has caused him to neglect the "scoring" part of his game, that he was always brilliant at, and that, combined with the odd lapse, is costing him dearly at least once per round. So there's two issues to address.

That being said, with his improved long game and still ok-ish short game, if he gets a week where he's tuned in, a top finish at anytime wouldn't surprise me, especially on a course that wasn't a birdie fest, he's never been great on those "24 under par" type courses.

Ultimately all the tour pros hit it great and its the mental stuff and short game on any given week that determines who wins. At any event they'll all be hitting it great on the range but there'll be probably 15 shots between first and last place after one round - shows how important the other stuff is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MungoMan

harrington is in the top 5 players of his generation, he has considerable natural talent

even if he never won a major, his career has been amazing, he spent 100s of weeks in the worlds top 10 ranked players.

its obvious to me the he has it in him to turn it around, to make it all click again

its not certain that he will do it, but it wouldnt surprise me if he does

yes but is easier to get rid of the 2 trebles than score 10 birdies

He doesn't seem to be finding it easy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

That is exactly it - I am always waiting for the disaster, and breathe a big sigh of relief when he has finished the round in reasonable shape.....the mental side of his game is all over the place...but surely he's not stupid and will get the psychological help he seems to need - I hope so....I used to love watching him, and while I still do watch him whenever he is on TV, I can't say that I enjoy it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So is he Ireland's greatest ever sports person now?

No, you still had 10 birdies, your overall score is -4 though, two vary different things.

For example, 10 birdies is probably going to win you most matches, 4 birdies not so much.

Give me the 10 birdie guy any day.

GreeBo wrote: »
    No, you still had 10 birdies, your overall score is -4 though, two vary different things.

For example, 10 birdies is probably going to win you most matches, 4 birdies not so much.

Give me the 10 birdie guy any day.

BUT the 7's ruin the card and that's what is happening all the time of late.
    You will win nothing with a 7 in nearly every round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Sorry for interrupting but Paddy had a 71 today which leaves him tied 70th.

1 birdie
    2 bogeys
    15 pars
    No Doubles, Triples, or worse

Has to be happy with that.

BUT the 7's ruin the card and that's what is happening all the time of late.
    You will win nothing with a 7 in nearly every round.

Clearly, but the point of the argument is that its far easier to not have a 7 than it is to try to have a birdie.
    Paddy could hit 3 7 irons and take a bogey and immediately be 2 shots better.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    Clearly, but the point of the argument is that its far easier to not have a 7 than it is to try to have a birdie.
    Paddy could hit 3 7 irons and take a bogey and immediately be 2 shots better.

If he knew the holes he was going to have trouble on in advance but he doesn't.
    You can't always play safe in golf or you win nothing. You have to attack.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement