Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If he knew the holes he was going to have trouble on in advance but he doesn't.
    You can't always play safe in golf or you win nothing. You have to attack.
    right, but there are lots of guys who cant go on birdie runs...paddy is not one of them, he just has an issue at the moment with big numbers.
    He needs to determine whats causing them and fix it, which is a lot easier than having to change your game to try to start making birdies.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,189 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

There's an awful lot of Aunties with balls here :)

If I was to pick a golfer to back, I'd prob go with the 10 birdies & 2 trebles guy over the 4 birdies guy.
    But only marginally... Very marginally.

If someone is pushing & getting 10 birdies you have to take a few bad holes as a result of the aggression, on a good day they'll get lucky and avoid trouble.
    Steady eddy with 4 birdies is liable to add another couple of birdies too on a good day.

I must be missing someone, is Padraig this Mr 10 birdies - 2 Trebles guy?
    Because if he was, at 16 under a tournament, he'd prob be world number 1

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

If he knew the holes he was going to have trouble on in advance but he doesn't.
    You can't always play safe in golf or you win nothing. You have to attack.

I guess you have hit the nail on the head. He goes for it, look at US open last year , he went for it, when he could have played safe and finished higher.

Imagine, we talk about a finished pro who finished 4th in US open last year.

Only in Ireland do you have to explain this stuff. The US Open :eek:

Who is coming up , who will be in the mix, next year in US Open ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Who is coming up , who will be in the mix, next year in US Open ?

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Just looking at the stats from his round yesterday, very un-Harrinton like. Lots of greens hit (83% GIR) but just didn't hole any putts.

Needs a good round today for lots of reasons. Most importantly it'll give him a bit of hope for the summer ahead. He has also only got two sub par tournaments this year on the pga tour. Will need to pickup at least two shots to make that 3 out of 10. If he picks up 4 or 5 shots on the field he might even grab himself some WGR points and enough prize money to take him over $500k for the year.

Here's hoping for a 66 today! He'll be one of the first out so won't have any spike marks on the greens to contend with!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

35 minutes to go before another rollercoaster round for us to watch on shot tracker. Its incredible but really great to see a lot of people still do what I do and watch every shot on shot tracker despite the fact he is currently LAST in the players left in this tournament.

Call his score for todays round now........I'm calling a respectable 67 that couldve been very low but for a good few short missed putts!

Screw it, I call a 59 for a top 5!

Short missed Birdie putt at the first!

Stitches it on the second!!! :0 But misses an even shorter birdie effort.

Awful second shot at the 4th, 1st missed green but makes a 10 footer this time for par.

Beauty into the 7th. 11 footer for eagle!! Another missed putt. Birdie. 1 under

• Advertisement

Looking at shot tracker here today he is playing superb golf tee to green. Really top quality stuff as he stands on the 8th fairway. The putter letting him down yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyvegas22

link?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭abff

Finished with a 3 putt from 18 feet for a level par 70.

So, is he playing in next week's PGA Championship or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

abff wrote: »
    Finished with a 3 putt from 18 feet for a level par 70.

So, is he playing in next week's PGA Championship or not?

Nope....http://www.irishgolfdesk.com/news-files/2013/5/19/paddy-last.html

15th cost him 6 shots this week, a triple and 3 bogies. :eek:

Goldenjohn wrote: »

So, is he going to struggle to compete in the required number of tournaments to retain his European Tour card?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

So, is he going to struggle to compete in the required number of tournaments to retain his European Tour card?

Does he have to complete a certain number? Do his 3 major wins not give him a lifetime exception so he would nt have to worry about completing a minimum amount??

Goldenjohn wrote: »
    Does he have to complete a certain number? Do his 3 major wins not give him a lifetime exception so he would nt have to worry about completing a minimum amount??

I think you have to play a minimum number of tournaments each year to retain your membership. I thinks it's around 14 tournaments, but could be 1 or 2 either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Well so far he has played 6.

3 more majors
    Irish open
    Scottish open
    Dunhill links
    BMW masters and Turkish open are big money events as well leading into Dubai.

You need to play 13 so i'd say he'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Down to number 66 in the world. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

vienne86 wrote: »
    Down to number 66 in the world. :(

rate he's going he'll be outside top 100 this time next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Very sad to witness this.
    Paddy is a nice lad but the tinkering has caused all the doubts to set in.

Very sad to witness this.
    Paddy is a nice lad but the tinkering has caused all the doubts to set in.

It's nothing to do with him been a nice lad ..
    I am purely speaking about his golf and steady decline he's taking

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

That's exactly what worries me....was hanging around the top 50 only a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

I am purely speaking about his golf and steady decline he's taking

How is this a steady decline:
    • OWGR End of 2011 - 82nd
    • OWGR after Byron Nelson last year - 90th
    • OWGR End of 2012 - 59th
    • OWGR after Byron Nelson this year - 66th
    He has had a few very bad events but has had 4 top ten's this year already and we still have 3 majors to go.

Being a realist though he needs to get in the top 50 soon as without the WGC ranking points he is going to be stuck on the fringes next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

ssbob wrote: »
    How is this a steady decline:
    • OWGR End of 2011 - 82nd
    • OWGR after Byron Nelson last year - 90th
    • OWGR End of 2012 - 59th
    • OWGR after Byron Nelson this year - 66th
    He has had a few very bad events but has had 4 top ten's this year already and we still have 3 majors to go.

Being a realist though he needs to get in the top 50 soon as without the WGC ranking points he is going to be stuck on the fringes next year!

Indeed that not a steady decline - thats just bobbing around in the second 50 in the world.

But geek is also correct if you take a longer time scale from when PH was at his best:

- a steady decline since the beginning of 2010 as he slipped down at a great rate. He has steadied the ship since then although the recent bad patch seems to have reversed what was maybe just a short term blip back towards the top 50, as he start to slip down again.

Full data here in Excel :

http://www.officialworldgolfranking.com/players/bio.sps?ID=5716&name=Padraig&Rank=3&TotalPts=337.3971

Almaviva wrote: »
    But geek is also correct if you take a longer time scale from when PH was at his best:

- a steady decline since the beginning of 2010 as he slipped down at a great rate. He has steadied the ship since then although the recent bad patch seems to have reversed what was maybe just a short term blip back towards the top 50, as he start to slip down again.

Excellent information here when you take it as a whole, He had a horendous 2011 season followed by a very steady 2012 which carried into the start of this year.

I just hope this is a minor blip.

Does anyone know why he pulled out of this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

From the horses mouth (his facebook)
    It has been a long three week stint, having missed one cut and finishing well down the field in the other two. I had a lot of early mornings and long practice sessions. As a result of this I am very tired. I was due to play in the BMW PGA Championship this coming week but I have withdrawn as a fourth consecutive event would not be good for my game. I am now going to have two weeks off before coming back for the build up to the US Open, but for now though I am looking forward to some rest at home.

Excellent information here when you take it as a whole, He had a horendous 2011 season followed by a very steady 2012 which carried into the start of this year.

You think he's had a steady season so far in 2013 ?

You think he's had a steady season so far in 2013 ?

I think he had a steady start but has gone off the boil in the last 4 events. A real pity though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Just read his tour diary, always a good read. brutally honest about his play on Friday "I was hitting it all over the place". Thankfully he's feeling positive about his good tee to green game on Sunday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement