Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

I'll be at the Irish open Friday following him. Hopefully the incredibly enthusiastic crowd can light a fire within him because if it doesn't happen fast I'll be very worried.

I look at what Ernie Els has done and ask myself, as it stands now can Harrington do the same? Well i don't know but it seems virtually impossible given his current state of mind on the course. He seems like a busted flush on the greens at the moment.

maybe a year off might do him the world of good - just leave it for a while, do something else and come back to it. If it works then great but it can't go on like it is now for much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Missing the cut in the Irish Open would really be the end of Padraig.
    I am hoping he can actually wake up and challenge for the title over the weekend.
    I wonder if he is actually seeing a psychologist. Most of them do. If not he certainly needs to as the mental side of his game is long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Missing the cut in the Irish Open would really be the end of Padraig.

He finished a very respectable 21st in the us open only 2 weeks ago yet if he misses the cut next week he is finished????

This thread bamboozles me

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

ForeRight wrote: »
    He finished a very respectable 21st in the us open only 2 weeks ago yet if he misses the cut next week he is finished????

He's not even close to thelevel he once played at. He's constantly tweaking and looking for a short term gimmick to cure his uncertainty.

His putting has disimproved and he's now woefully inconsistant.

If he doesn't sort out the mental side of his game he'll never scale those heights again.

He finished joint last yesterday and was all over the shop.
    A bad performance in front of an Irish home crowd would not do him any bit of good at all. He has been very fragile for a long time now. The amount of invitations he will get will drop too if he doesn't get back to form soon. The U.S. Open seems to be the exception to the rule of late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

A bad performance in front of an Irish home crowd would not do him any bit of good at all. He has been very fragile for a long time now. The amount of invitations he will get will drop too if he doesn't get back to form soon. The U.S. Open seems to be the exception to the rule of late.

Fwiw Westwood was 3 shots behind him yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Quick reminder since some people seem to have forgotten.
    As per the Charter, Personal Abuse towards anyone is not tolerated on this forum, that includes non boards.ie members also.
    Next one is a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

I don't think he believes in himself enough anymore. Granted he's always played down his achievements in a way, like when he said after Carnoustie 07 "I'm not the guy who's destined to go out there and do it". But how can you be so negative in an interview going into a weekend in 2nd place. I know he wasnt playing well, but how can he not look forward to it and even just say, ye I cant wait to get going.

I might show up to the Irish Open with a giant banner reading "Padraig Harrington - Ireland's Greatest EVER Sportsman!"

If that doesn't instil confidence I don't know what will.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Here's his review of last week. He's basically putting it down to a terrible day at the office and moving on.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/padraig-harrington/tour-diary-travelers-championship-review/10151762572298573

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Joint last?

He made the cut I thought:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

AGC wrote: »
    Joint last?

He made the cut I thought:rolleyes:

oh you know what he means for petes sake

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Here's his review of last week. He's basically putting it down to a terrible day at the office and moving on.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/padraig-harrington/tour-diary-travelers-championship-review/10151762572298573

Good that's exactly what he needs to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭abff

"I did say to Ronan that I was happy it wasn’t my first round as a Professional as I think I would have given up after it."

Brutal honesty as always from Padraig.

"Looking back at the final round I have to write it off as just one of those days... "

That's the right mental attitude - brooding on it is unlikely to lead to a positive outcome.

I really hope he has a good Irish Open and it would be just fantastic if he could win the tournament after the disappointment of last week.

=abff;85252544
    I really hope he has a good Irish Open and it would be just fantastic if he could win the tournament after the disappointment of last week.

A win !!, you're kidding ... he's so far from a win it's scary!

A win !!, you're kidding ... he's so far from a win it's scary!

Top 25 in the US Open 2 weeks ago is scary now?
    Sign me up.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Top 25 in the US Open 2 weeks ago is scary now?
    Sign me up.

Are you honestly telling me you think he can win this week

Are you honestly telling me you think he can win this week

Of course he can.
    Any of them tee-ing it up can win, remember a fella called Shane?
    Harrington has a better chance of winning than 75% of the field imo; does that mean he is going to win or be in the top 25% come Sunday evening?
    Of course not, because thats not how golf works.

Of course he can.
    Any of them tee-ing it up can win, remember a fella called Shane?
    Harrington has a better chance of winning than 75% of the field imo; does that mean he is going to win or be in the top 25% come Sunday evening?
    Of course not, because thats not how golf works.

I know anyone tee-ing it up can win, any of these guys can catch a good week.
    I just don't understand the logic in how you think Harrington has an excellent chance of winning (I'm saying excellent because you said you think he has a better chance than 75% of the field). Is it because of a Top 25 two weeks ago ?
    Surely the weekend just gone would have some alarm bells going. He's going the opposite direction of where he should be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Did anyone see him wearing chango paws on page 4 of the Irish times today?

His latest gizmo no doubt.....

2j5i3bo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

I can't see him win, what he needs now is get some consistency into his game, a few top 20's, top 10's etc. That would be a great start.

I always feel he himself is too obsessed with the win, he goes all out for it when he is in contention and can end up with a disaster. Not sure if that was the case last weekend.

• Advertisement

I know anyone tee-ing it up can win, any of these guys can catch a good week.
    I just don't understand the logic in how you think Harrington has an excellent chance of winning (I'm saying excellent because you said you think he has a better chance than 75% of the field). Is it because of a Top 25 two weeks ago ?
    Surely the weekend just gone would have some alarm bells going. He's going the opposite direction of where he should be going.

Well we both agree anyone can win, I happen to think that his experience (of winning/pressure/etc) is a huge benefit to him if he is in contention come Sunday.
    Only McIlroy and McDowell have similar experience in the field, not sure if I think either of them have a much better chance than Harrington based on last results.

I'm ignoring his weekend performance last week the same way that you are ignoring his first two days....

I'm ignoring his weekend performance last week the same way that you are ignoring his first two days....

That's the thing,
    I'm not ignoring his first two rounds at all.
    Harrington has put together some fantastic rounds recently,
    but it's stringing 4 rounds together (even 3), which is ruining him. It's not only the inconsistency, it's the scary 7's, and 8's which he's getting far too often.
    That's the reason I don't think he has a chance.

I'd prefer to see him shoot 4 rounds of 70, rather than two good rounds and two under average rounds.
    Once he gets some consistency in his game, starts avoiding the 7's and 8's, and starts improving on the Par 5's, I think his confidence will increase 10 fold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

There was something on the RTE sports news yesterday about him being in negotiations with a big sponsor for next years and subsequent Irish Opens.

Found a link (scroll down page)

http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/irish-open/irish-open-short-chips-mcilroy-and-lowry-form-dream-ticket-29372615.html

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭The_Architect

GS11 wrote: »
    I can't see him win, what he needs now is get some consistency into his game, a few top 20's, top 10's etc. That would be a great start.

I always feel he himself is too obsessed with the win, he goes all out for it when he is in contention and can end up with a disaster. Not sure if that was the case last weekend.

If that is the case (and I don’t watch enough to know) then I think he should be applauded for that.

Too many golfers are happy to rack up the Top-10’s and watch the money roll in.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

If that is the case (and I don’t watch enough to know) then I think he should be applauded for that.

Too many golfers are happy to rack up the Top-10’s and watch the money roll in.

Yes, in normal circumstances its a great attitude, I just don't think its the right one for him, given his inconsistency these days.

Don't discount Lowry, he'll be well up for this, hopefully he doesn't put too much pressure on himself and just plays his own game.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

Harro eagles the 18th today @ Monty, he's back, shame on all of ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

sector wrote: »
    Harro eagles the 18th today @ Monty, he's back, shame on all of ye.

How did he play overall?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

IanVW wrote: »
    How did he play overall?:)

He won it.

Rory came 2nd.

I am going to have 50 euro each-way on Harrington @ 20/1.
    Don't think he'll win but he should come in the first 5.
    Maybe i'm mad but sure what the hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

He won it.

Rory came 2nd.

Any scores?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement