Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I'm not sure what he scored but I know he sank a 60footer for that eagle.

Hoey had 9 birdies today.

Maybe worth an each way punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭abff

I know it's wishful thinking, but I would just LOVE to be on here on Sunday night saying "Oh ye of little faith" to all the doubters.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

abff wrote: »
    I know it's wishful thinking, but I would just LOVE to be on here on Sunday night saying "Oh ye of little faith" to all the doubters.

it won't happen this Sunday. zero faith.

there seems to be an excuse week in week out on this thread about paddy, and if not an excuse, a comfort that things will be ok.

I can't believe how unrealistic people are. Obviously because he's one of Irelands greatest sportsmen ever, but looking beyond that, I just don't get how people think he has a good chance (or even back him) this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I can't believe how unrealistic people are. Obviously because he's one of Irelands greatest sportsmen ever, but looking beyond that, I just don't get how people think he has a good chance (or even back him) this week.

I wouldn't back him either but on home turf he might just pull something out of the bag. I don't remember what his form was like going in to his win in Adare a few years back.

2007, he was playing a bit different back then :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

So what if he's been so inconsistent since winning those 3 majors. So what if he's "finished" as one or two here have said? He is Ireland's greatest sportsperson and has given me so much enjoyment over the years. If it wasn't for him doing so well back in the second half of the 2000's I'd have never realised how much I enjoy watching golf (perhaps someday even play it).

I believe he has done this for many people. So I will follow him through thick and thin, from every par 5 he makes a balls of to every unlikely pitch in for par and just know that I will never be bored. It may be foolish and illogical to hope/think he can have another win or two but that's all part of the ride. He's my sporting hero above anyone else and I'd class rugby and soccer as more important to me. You can say I'm biased but there's very few who would get the better of him if he can get himself into a position. This is a week to celebrate all he and other have done even if he's not in the running.

Long story short. I appreciate Harrington so much for what he has done and he makes me proud to be Irish So I will continue to support him even if he doesn't produce like he used to.

So what if he's been so inconsistent since winning those 3 majors. So what if he's "finished" as one or two here have said? He is Ireland's greatest sportsperson and has given me so much enjoyment over the years. If it wasn't for him doing so well back in the second half of the 2000's I'd have never realised how much I enjoy watching golf (perhaps someday even play it).

I believe he has done this for many people. So I will follow him through thick and thin, from every par 5 he makes a balls of to every unlikely pitch in for par and just know that I will never be bored. It may be foolish and illogical to hope/think he can have another win or two but that's all part of the ride. He's my sporting hero above anyone else and I'd class rugby and soccer as more important to me. You can say I'm biased but there's very few who would get the better of him if he can get himself into a position. This is a week to celebrate all he and other have done even if he's not in the running.

Long story short. I appreciate Harrington so much for what he has done and he makes me proud to be Irish So I will continue to support him even if he doesn't produce like he used to.

Excellent Post.

And I'm sure many people are of the same opinion.

My gripe is not with harrington. My gripe is with the illogical, and often ridiculous comments of how he's close to getting back to his great self, or how he's so close to winning another tournament, or he'll have a great week here, a great week there etc ... when there is absolutely zero evidence of this, in fact ... the evidence is pointing to a steady (if not more!) downward fall in the rankings.

Do you think people would have the same golfing (not personal) opinion of harrington if he was from the states or norway or somewhere other than Ireland. Do you think people would still say he's got a great chance of winning this week or next week looking at his golf the last couple of years ? I seriously doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

He's a nice price to be leading after the first round at 25/1. He's capable of producing a round but not a full weekend at present.

He's a nice price to be leading after the first round at 25/1. He's capable of producing a round but not a full weekend at present.

you've gone from duffing a pitch in the ryder cup, to posting on boards.ie about padraig ...

*hug*

• Registered Users Posts: 47 bundaegi

Did anyone see him wearing chango paws on page 4 of the Irish times today?

His latest gizmo no doubt.....

2j5i3bo.jpg

I saw him use one of these on the 6th tee in the pro-am today. He hit his drive and then stood back and took a few practice swings with one on his left foot. He always seems to be working on something.

Fair play to him though, he spent lots of time signing autographs and chatting with the crowd by the tee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

in fact ... the evidence is pointing to a steady (if not more!) downward fall in the rankings.

In fact there's been no downfall at all in the rankings in the last 2 years. Knocking around between 50 and 100, currently 67th. Fair indicator of his current playing level. Top 10 days well behind though but still love to follow him.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Strange that he is only using one...they are designed for imbalance to help you improve your balance, seems weird to use it on one foot when playing golf...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Saw him using it on the range alright. Also saw him absolutely flush 5/6 "happy gilmore" drives - really would love to know why he thinks this helps in his preparations?

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Saw him using it on the range alright. Also saw him absolutely flush 5/6 "happy gilmore" drives - really would love to know why he thinks this helps in his preparations?

Funnily enough they found that his happy gilmore impact position was almost identical to his "perfect" drive position.

for me it helps me to get less technical, if I can hit it like that I should be able to manage it standing beside it!

GreeBo wrote: »
    Funnily enough they found that his happy gilmore impact position was almost identical to his "perfect" drive position.

for me it helps me to get less technical, if I can hit it like that I should be able to manage it standing beside it!

he gets further distance from a normal stance also if I recall

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Well, whatever the effect of this thing, he didn't have a bad day at the office - 1 under par. Made some good putts to save par.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

Did anyone on here go to see him today? I'm heading out first thing in the morning to follow him. Just wondering did he play well?

vienne86 wrote: »
    Well, whatever the effect of this thing, he didn't have a bad day at the office - 1 under par. Made some good putts to save par.

Nice to hear he was putting well but that possibly indicates his long game wasnt up to scratch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

vienne86 wrote: »

Although the score was good at the end I don't think he played all that well. From what I could gather watching the tailend of sky's coverage his driving was wayward and made life tough for himself. His second shot on the 18th went a little too close to the water however he got away with it and had a great up and down. Anyway -1 is an encouraging start.

What we want to see from Harrington is four positive under par rounds.

He is in severe danger of having the weekend off to watch the rest of them play golf :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

GreeBo wrote: »
    He is in severe danger of having the weekend off to watch the rest of them play golf :(

Yep, t81 at the minute. Needs two birdies and some luck. Come on paddy!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Thats one birdie anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

Yesterday he missed the green twice with wedges, Easy looking shots that looked like he bladed them a bit and they flew over greens.. Doesn't look comfortable in the 40 - 75 yds zone at all..

Drove the ball well and iron game seemed strong.. Scrambled well also but not looking comfortable at all scoring

Going to miss the cut by 1, he'll be very disappointed with that. All 4 Irish major winners could be kicking their heels this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He is just continuing his recent form :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Did anyone see his interview on sky just there. I can't help but laugh at him he is such a funny character.

His face just makes me laugh these days :):):)

E97271C4-D950-4823-8B07-85D0887466E7-1259-000000951BD26D70_zps5d9f45ca.jpg

Wonder where this will leave him on the world rankings now after this week.

I am going to have 50 euro each-way on Harrington @ 20/1.
    Don't think he'll win but he should come in the first 5.
    Maybe i'm mad but sure what the hell.

been the operative word !:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Martin567

Going to miss the cut by 1, he'll be very disappointed with that. All 4 Irish major winners could be kicking their heels this weekend.

Hard to call but I would guess +1 is more likely to be the cut than Par with half the field just going out now. Different story if the wind dies.

Martin567 wrote: »
    Hard to call but I would guess +1 is more likely to be the cut than Par with half the field just going out now. Different story if the wind dies.

Gone from T82 to T76, if the trend continues you could be right :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭abff

Gone from T82 to T76, if the trend continues you could be right :)

Now T77. As things stand, cut could be anywhere between -1 and +1, depending on the weather this afternoon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement