Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭abff

Double bogey to miss the cut. Jesus wept!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

1 bogey and 3 doubles over the 2 rounds is as bad as 10 bogeys in this format.

At least its a major next week, well able to make the cut in those :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

Wow. Missed cut in a secondary pga tour event. A new low!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Deplasterer

Jesus, he's getting worse, if that's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Wow. Missed cut in a secondary pga tour event. A new low!

Im sure he's missed cuts in weaker European events. You Dont make pro cuts playing ****e no matter what the field.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

He is rationalising by counting it as warming up for the Legends tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Jesus lads Padraig Harrington is the most frustrating golfer to follow these days. I just don't know what to say. In a way I can't believe it but in truth I thought it was coming if you get me.

I wonder what's going on in his head these days, actually I don't want to know, but I'd say he's fairly beating himself up. Looks like Ronan will be without pay this week too..

He'll always be the person I scroll 'down' the page (these days he's normally down by the cut line!) to when looking on the leaderboards. I struggle to really get behind Rory and Padraig has always been No. 1 in my household.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Brutal stuff..Looking increasingly like a spent force. He is going to need something special to make the fed ex playoffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Paddy has three majors won! He's a living legend, he's going through a rough patch and it happens all golfers, maybe his best days are over but people need to lay off him. I still reckon he'll win another British open in the next 5 years!

Ah lads, it's time for a reality check for some posters on here and the man himself. Too many green jersey posts. It has to be said he is in a serious rut now.

All is not lost, however. Look at guys like Els, Cabrera, Bjorn..all playing excellent golf in their 40's and none of them resorted to sticking tennis balls under their shoes. Harrington needs to stop with all these gimmicks and focus on the core areas of weakness, putting being top of the list at the moment. It would do him no harm to ditch that yes man on his bag either.

• Advertisement

I still reckon he'll win another British open in the next 5 years!

But do you base this reckoning on anything more than irrational hope ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Almaviva wrote: »
    But do you base this reckoning on anything more than irrational hope ?

Links golf suits him and he has great memories of the open, if he gets in position on Sunday in a competition he's already won twice, he'll believe he can do and has to have a chance. Look at tom Watson a few years ago he had a great chance after all those years and the fact that he had won it before had to have pushed him on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Martin567

It's definitely a mental/confidence thing more than anything technically wrong with his game. It also seems like a case of Murphy's Law - anything that can go wrong will go wrong. Padraig seems to find a different way for things to go wrong every week recently.

With the scoring system this week, the worst score to be posting was a double bogey. Amazingly he's had three of these with only one bogey. That's more doubles in 36 holes here than he had in 72 holes at Merrion & Muirfield, both far more difficult courses.

He played really well in the last two majors but hardly holed anything. In between, in the Travellers, his putting was good but he hardly hit a green in regulation over the weekend. Today his driving seems to have been good and he battled well but then he hits a bad tee shot on the last when a par would probably have been okay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Couldn't give a fiddlers where he ends up in the world rankings but saying that might have to play in lower quality field which might not be a bad idea at the moment. Get a win or two on the Euro tour or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I would just like to point out he finished 21st in the US Open which was considered the toughest course in yonks. Does it matter that he had a bad week this week?

I just can't fathom the amount of people jumping down his throat. Yes he's been far from the top of his game for ages but he's not superman. Look at Cabrera, you don't see people jumping down his throat when he doesn't perform in non-majors and he's done rather well for himself.

Martin567 wrote: »
    It's definitely a mental/confidence thing more than anything technically wrong with his game. It also seems like a case of Murphy's Law - anything that can go wrong will go wrong. Padraig seems to find a different way for things to go wrong every week recently.

With the scoring system this week, the worst score to be posting was a double bogey. Amazingly he's had three of these with only one bogey. That's more doubles in 36 holes here than he had in 72 holes at Merrion & Muirfield, both far more difficult courses.

He played really well in the last two majors but hardly holed anything. In between, in the Travellers, his putting was good but he hardly hit a green in regulation over the weekend. Today his driving seems to have been good and he battled well but then he hits a bad tee shot on the last when a par would probably have been okay!

With respect Martin, you seem to be trying to source out any detail to justify his poor form. Why don't you just call a spade a spade and say he is in a gradual decline at the moment?

Aidric wrote: »
    With respect Martin, you seem to be trying to source out any detail to justify his poor form. Why don't you just call a spade a spade and say he is in a gradual decline at the moment?

Whatever. "Source out any detail" - Strange turn of phrase, I'm not even sure it's proper English.

Martin567 wrote: »
    Whatever. "Source out any detail" - Strange turn of phrase, I'm not even sure it's proper English.

dessert-fudge-istock-AndreaSkjold.jpg

Again, whatever. I presume your last two posts make sense to you. At least that would make one of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Bad finish to the round today but looking at the scores even a par at the end wouldn't have seen him make the weekend. 3 bad holes out of 36 suggests his game isn't in the depths some seem to think it is but he's a player seriously short on confidence at the moment. He is in decline though, that's undeniable and people really need to readjust their expectations accordingly.

As an aside, shot tracker has made this thread almost unbearable at times. When people are following just Harrington in isolation on ST, every mistake he makes is scrutinised and agonised over. Do people not realise that pretty much every other player is missing short putts and hitting balls into the water at times as well? You'd swear Harrington is the only player messing up holes out there.

• Advertisement

The funny thing is even if he didn't make that bogey and made par on 18 he still would have missed the cut...

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

SSK wrote: »
    his game isn't in the depths some seem to think it is .

as someone else said, let's just call a spade a spade.

miserable stats.
    http://www.pgatour.com/players/player.20766.html/performance-stats/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭abff

as someone else said, let's just call a spade a spade.

miserable stats.
    http://www.pgatour.com/players/player.20766.html/performance-stats/

Wow. Those are pretty compelling statistics. While I still hope he makes the playoffs, an enforced break from the game might not be the worst thing that could happen.

Maybe a season or two concentrating on the European Tour might allow him to rediscover his game, although I know the fact that 3 of the 4 majors are played in the States will always be a factor for Padraig.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

watching The Cut Line here again with Padraig .

He is a fascinating, engaging, modest, proud , funny , serious , mad , happy , loyal, irish bloke.

He is having a bad time, but i know he will have a few more surprises for us.

Just love the bloke. Flaws are part of life. We all have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

watching The Cut Line here again with Padraig .

He is a fascinating, engaging, modest, proud , funny , serious , mad , happy , loyal, irish bloke.

He is having a bad time, but i know he will have a few more surprises for us.

Just love the bloke. Flaws are part of life. We all have them.

one of the good ones alright.
    (both the episode and the player :))

I would just like to point out he finished 21st in the US Open which was considered the toughest course in yonks.
    Does it matter that he had a bad week this week?

It does when bad weeks are the norm and the US Open performance (as a non contending also ran - if thats the highpoint these days....) you quote is the exception, as he slides down the rankings.

To be fair, I dont think anyone here is 'against' Harrington as such, just calling it as they see it.

Would love to have seen Ireland's most successful international sportsperson ever by a long shot (Roche and Smith being inelgible for me due to the misma of illegal performance enhancement wafting over them) hang on and win even more than he has. But there is nothing - and really nothing - for even his most ardent fan so far this year to suggest that he is anything but a spent force at world level. And that the various small scale ups and downs are just the 'noise' of an overall downward trend.

And without a doubt, he is a fine, personable and super representative for Irish golf with an excellent attitude and modesty to his talent and achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Almaviva wrote: »
    It does when bad weeks are the norm and the US Open performance (as a non contending also ran - if thats the highpoint these days....) you quote is the exception, as he slides down the rankings.

To be fair, I dont think anyone here is 'against' Harrington as such, just calling it as they see it.

Would love to have seen Ireland's most successful international sportsperson ever by a long shot (Roche and Smith being inelgible for me due to the misma of illegal performance enhancement wafting over them) hang on and win even more than he has. But there is nothing - and really nothing - for even his most ardent fan so far this year to suggest that he is anything but a spent force at world level. And that the various small scale ups and downs are just the 'noise' of an overall downward trend.

And without a doubt, he is a fine, personable and super representative for Irish golf with an excellent attitude and modesty to his talent and achievements.

The point I was getting at in the part you didn't quote was that he's not the player he was in any consistent basis so I was wondering why people keep on criticising him for doing just that i.e being on the wane. I alluded to Cabrera who is a big game player and that is what Harrington is now to an extent. He was an also ran yes but it's better to be an also ran in a Major than in some Reno tournament.

The most we can expect is 2/3 big tournaments a year from him as things stand. I agree with everything you say about his character and legend status but I do think some people are "against" him in terms of complaining that he's doing so badly but then on the few occasions he plays well, they're nowhere to be seen. I don't see the point in moaning about his poor weeks, what does it achieve? If it's because people had a flutter on him they should have more sense than that at this stage.

Insanity: "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" applies here to people who expect him to contend every week. I will enjoy the good times especially this coming week returning to where he won his 3rd Major and shrug off his bad as being typical, crazy Paddy. That is what I love about him even without all his past success. The breath of fresh air everytime you see him speak, it may be frustrating as hell but golf would be a poorer place if he were to hang up his clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Good piece on Padraig and Sergio by David Walsh in today's Times.

rednik wrote: »
    Good piece on Padraig and Sergio by David Walsh in today's Times.

Any link to that wouldn't mind reading it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Hacker111

Jesus his stats this year are absolutely horrendous..... cannot make a birdie and plays par 5s like a 70 year old... where has the old Paddy gone? Plus his putting is 172nd...... nearly all of his stats are well in the 100s.......... take a break, clear his head (if thats possible) or keep playing through it..... will he ever come back...personally I doubt it but would love to see him get no. 4!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement