Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Down to 77. Come on Paddy, turn this ship around!!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

Jimdagym wrote: »

the ship has well sunk at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Jimdagym wrote: »
    the ship has well sunk at this stage

Yeah 96th in the rankings early last year, more like someone missed than boat rather than ship sunk!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

New website. Looks well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Tour Diary - PGA Championship - Preview
    8 August 2013 at 12:14

The final major of the year is here and its hard to believe how quickly the season has gone so far. It only seems like yesterday that I was getting ready for the Masters. I am coming into the week after missing the cut in Reno last week, which is never nice but it did mean that I was able to get to Rochester a day earlier and so get a practice round in before the course got busy. In terms of my game I would have liked to have another couple of rounds in a competitive environment but there's nothing I can do about that.

I played the course on Sunday evening on my own, which was a great time to practice as there was no one around and I was able to take my time and have a good look around. On Monday I had originally planned to play nine holes but I didn't play any in the end, instead I spent a few hours discussing things with Bob Rotella and then spent a bit of time with Pete Cowen. The chat with Bob was great, we talked about all areas of my game and preparation and by the end of it I was feeling really good about what I need to do. I spent a couple hours with Pete working on a few things and discussing the type of shots I have been hitting. We got a few things ironed out and I have a good clear picture of what I need to work on going forward. Overall, it was actually a very productive day even though I didn't play any holes.

On Tuesday and Wednesday I played some holes and did some practice. The range is on the second course and we are able to hit shots into the greens. It is probably the best range I have been on and there is a great wedge area where I have been spending most of my time. I have been hitting wedges before and after I play as no matter how long the course is you always end up hitting a lot of wedge shots. After talking to Bob on Monday it became clear that I wasn't making a good clear decision about each shot I am playing so I have been working on this area on the range and the course. When I do it right I tend to hit a really good shot and when I don't I can see the result in the shot straight away.

The course this week is a typical old style course, tree lined and the majority of the greens slope from back to front. In general you are not in bad shape in the middle of the green on all of the holes. Like all the PGA Championship's there is heavy rough off the fairway, although they have graduated it so that the worst of it is further from the fairway. However, there is certainly a premium on hitting fairways this week. I like the course as the trees give it good definition and mean that you have to move the ball in the air. There is no doubt that it is a tough test, but then it is a major and we wouldn't expect anything else. There are plenty of holes where if you hit the fairway you can go at the pins but if you don't then you are looking at a bogey, if not worse.

As a past Champion of the PGA I attend the Champions Dinner every year, which is always a good night. It is rare in our game that you get so many champions together for a dinner. This year it was Rory's choice of menu and we had roast beef. As always it was good fun.

I am very happy with my preparation for the week and I am feeling in a good pace after the work I have done with both Pete and Bob. The only thing I am not happy about is that I lost money to Shane Lowry in a chipping contest! We had the contest on Wednesday afternoon and although he took the money, the consolation was that it was great practice.

All in all I am feeling good about my game and my preparation and I am looking forward to playing and seeing how the course plays in competition. Hopefully the weather will stay good for us as there are a few storms forecast for the week. Either way I a ready to get going. I am playing with David Toms and Y E Yang for the first two days and we go early Thursday and late Friday.

Padraig.

Really hope he has a good week, a top 20 would be a good confidence boost.

• Advertisement

YayaBanana wrote: »

absolutely nothing to suggest that he's even going to make the cut.
    I'm guessing it's going to be another missed cut the way he's going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

I like the fact that he's been working on his wedges and was involved in a chipping contest with Lowry. Apparently, Lowry has an unbelievable short game so its no disgrace to lose the money to him! Fingers crossed for him this week!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I like the fact that he stayed away from the course and spent some time with Bob Rotella, might sort his head out a bit.

absolutely nothing to suggest that he's even going to make the cut.
    I'm guessing it's going to be another missed cut the way he's going.

He has made the cut the last 2 majors despite his poor form. Youd swear he was propping up the field ever week. His fans are entitled to follow him through thick and thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

PRAF wrote: »
    I like the fact that he's been working on his wedges and was involved in a chipping contest with Lowry. Apparently, Lowry has an unbelievable short game so its no disgrace to lose the money to him! Fingers crossed for him this week!

That was good to read, Lowry supposedly has a great attitude about golf too so the fun element might rub off on Padraig!!

I'll settle for nothing less than a Top 5 this week:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Brutally honest from paddy there again. I cannot think of a more open golfer. Warts and all.
    Best of luck to him this week.
    Come on Paddy!

He has made the cut the last 2 majors despite his poor form. Youd swear he was propping up the field ever week. His fans are entitled to follow him through thick and thin.

Of course they are entitled to.
    I'm just stating the obvious that he doesn't have a chance in winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Deplasterer

More of the same from Pod today, 2 bogeys and a double, early flight beckons on Saturday

More of the same from Pod today, 2 bogeys and a double, early flight beckons on Saturday

yup, 3 over after 6

Plus 3 for 2 par 3s.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Deplasterer

Currently 3rd last from the morning starters andthe brutal 18th to come, this could be double figures iI'm afraid.

Currently 3rd last from the morning starters andthe brutal 18th to come, this could be double figures iI'm afraid.

miss cut written all over it already

+4 now after 8.

40 to the turn, no shot tracker thank god :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Sad to see him a few shots off the bottom of the leaderboard already. Miss cut beckons.

• Advertisement

he needed practice on the course rather than talking to shrinks this week.
    he could have done the chatting at night time.
    terrible terrible call.

he needed practice on the course rather than talking to shrinks this week.
    he could have done the chatting at night time.
    terrible terrible call.

What have you got against Harrington? You seem to be enjoying seeing him struggle.

What have you got against Harrington? You seem to be enjoying seeing him struggle.

I've nothing against him.
    However I do have a large wager on him missing the cut

Good news, back to +4 birdie on 10

Good news, back to +4 birdie on 10

double brings him to +6 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

Another double on 7. Odds on missed cut now. One last chance at the Wyndam Championship next week otherwise he loses his card on the PGA Tour and will be playing on invites. Wont be in the Masters, the US Open, or any world golf championship. Dark days ahead....

Well thats him gone, I know there's another round to come but I don't think he'll be able to keep doubles off the card tomorrow either. It'll be some change not seeing him compete in the Masters or US Open, suppose it happens to ever golfer at some point and has been on a constant decline for 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

It's funny how some people seem to think he is just going to pull some form out of his arse.

His game is in rag order and instead of working on that he is spending hours speaking with Rotella. The result being to tie his head in more knots than it already is.

Another double on 7. Odds on missed cut now. One last chance at the Wyndam Championship next week otherwise he loses his card on the PGA Tour and will be playing on invites. Wont be in the Masters, the US Open, or any world golf championship. Dark days ahead....

Keeping your card is money list not fed ex cup list.
    Currently 110 on the money list. The amount he has currently has would have scraped him in last season plus this year is shorter as events after tour championship are for 2014. No major to look forward until next years open will be some shock to him.

• Advertisement

Aidric wrote: »
    It's funny how some people seem to think he is just going to pull some form out of his arse.

His game is in rag order and instead of working on that he is spending hours speaking with Rotella. The result being to tie his head in more knots than it already is.

You reckon he spent hours talking with Rotella and didn't bother working on his game? He is one of the hardest workers on tour, he has spent hundreds of hours trying to get his game back, a few hours to talk about the mental side of the game was probably a good idea. Of course half the people on here know better than Harrington what he should be doing.

I've had enough of this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement