Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Birdie on 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Great tee shot on the par 3 3rd. 4 foot from the hole, surely an easy birdie from there...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Great tee shot on the par 3 3rd. 4 foot from the hole, surely an easy birdie from there...

Nope!

Nope!

Worst still he's got a 37 yard third shot to a par 4 after being in the rough, could well be looking at a bogey from there.

Worst still he's got a 37 yard third shot to a par 4 after being in the rough, could well be looking at a bogey from there.

Yes just missed the par putt from 5 feet. Having a mare on the greens AGAIN!

• Advertisement

So thats a 3 putt eariler and in the last two holes he's missed a four and five footer for birdie and par

So thats a 3 putt eariler and in the last two holes he's missed a four and five footer for birdie and par

5 putts missed around the 4 or 5 feet range. Thats your game killed!

:eek: make that 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

+4 after 14 holes today. Looking really bad again.

I would be a big supporter of Harrington and question any abuse he gets but I am following shot tracker today and what was his great ability to scramble is gone.

3 putts all over the place. 30 yards from the green in 2 on a par 5 and making bogey. Running 25 footers 8 foot by or leaving them short.

He is just really struggling.

There is no reason why he can't come back to some good results but missing out of Fed ex/ WGC etc will kill his world ranking.

As someone said the other day a year in Europe and concentraing on that I think would do him the world of good

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

AGC wrote: »
    I would be a big supporter of Harrington and question any abuse he gets but I am following shot tracker today and what was his great ability to scramble is gone.

3 putts all over the place. 30 yards from the green in 2 on a par 5 and making bogey. Running 25 footers 8 foot by or leaving them short.

He is just really struggling.

There is no reason why he can't come back to some good results but missing out of Fed ex/ WGC etc will kill his world ranking.

As someone said the other day a year in Europe and concentraing on that I think would do him the world of good

no offence, but there are lots of reasons .... he's just gone to muck, simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭minstrel_boy

He has missed 2 4 foot putts, 3 5 foot putts and a 6 footer today.. Absolutely woeful stuff....

no offence, but there are lots of reasons .... he's just gone to muck, simple as that.

Look at him off the tee and to the green....Then look at his short game. It's clear what he is struggling with

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

Is he still using the long putter?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

AGC wrote: »
    Look at him off the tee and to the green....Then look at his short game. It's clear what he is struggling with

that doesn't deter the fact that he's gone to muck like I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newport2

56% GIR and putting average 2.222

His confidence must be in tatters, might be better off if he doesn't make the play-offs

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭minstrel_boy

newport2 wrote: »
    56% GIR and putting average 2.222

His confidence must be in tatters, might be better off if he doesn't make the play-offs

It must be alright.. Hard not to feel sorry for him.. I think his long game is gone to pot as well when the chips are down... When he does manage to have a good putting week, he hits it all over the place tee to green.. His head is simply melted

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Yes, might be as well if he doesn't make the playoffs, and a stint on the European tour might not be a bad thing. He must be gutted by today's round.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

he may have no choice but to play on the European tour, I think his PGA card will be lost if he fails to make the cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

shaneon77 wrote: »
    he may have no choice but to play on the European tour, I think his PGA card will be lost if he fails to make the cut.

I thought I heard that on RTE news at lunchtime....didn't realise things were that serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭abff

I think his card is based on the money list, not Fedex Cup standings. In the past, he would have been able to play in the Fall Series if he was outside the top 125. I think that this year the events after the play offs count towards the 2014 season, so I'm not sure where that leaves him.

• Advertisement

I've just checked the eligibility criteria and category 10a is as follows;

Players among the top 50 in career earnings as of the end of the preceding calendar year may elect to use a one-time, one-year exemption for the next year:

He's currently 32nd in the all time money list, so I guess he could use this option next year if all else fails and if he decides he still wants to try playing both tours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

shaneon77 wrote: »

I don't understand this.
    http://espn.go.com/golf/moneylist/_/page/3
    That has him at 112 in the money list. Is it not top 125 keep the cards, and its quite possible he can miss the cut and hold on to it, or am I way off?

The money list is different to fed ex cup points. His card is safe!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Martin567

If he misses the cut this week, it's fairly certain this will be his last event of the year in the US. I think he should take at least a month off and then try to have one or two decent results before the end of the year in Europe.

He doesn't have any worries about losing his card as he is well inside the Top 125 on the money list. Apparently the Top 125 on both money and FedEx have a full card for 2014. He has a career earnings exemption as well if he ever does lose his card. Even without a card, I doubt he'd have much trouble getting invitations as a three time major winner.

A more practical problem is that, as it stands, he won't be in the field for next year's Masters or US Open or any of the WGC events. That's five events which simultaneously count on both Tours. It won't be easy to play the required minimum on both Tours when you're missing out on all of these events.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Aidric wrote: »
    Can you justify that selection or do you just enjoy throwing money away?

Good man, didn't take you long :rolleyes: The man can bet on who he wants if it's ok with you? You may also have noticed Harrrington has gone low on day 1 a few times this year then faded as the tournament went on but don't let that get in the way of your agenda against him.

The money list is different to fed ex cup points. His card is safe!!!

I wouldn't be all that sure that his card is safe. If he misses the cut this week, he will probably drop a few places and will drop further over the following two weeks. Most people who make the 3rd play off event will probably already be ahead of him in the money list, but those that are not will probably pass him.

So I'd say that top 125 is looking very borderline right now. With only two majors and none of the WGCs, he may have to decide to consolidate on one tour and using his one time only career earnings exemption is a big gamble based on his current form.

It's a big call to make, but concentrating on the European Tour next year may be his best chance of getting back to where he belongs.

abff wrote: »
    I wouldn't be all that sure that his card is safe. If he misses the cut this week, he will probably drop a few places and will drop further over the following two weeks. Most people who make the 3rd play off event will probably already be ahead of him in the money list, but those that are not will probably pass him.

So I'd say that top 125 is looking very borderline right now. With only two majors and none of the WGCs, he may have to decide to consolidate on one tour and using his one time only career earnings exemption is a big gamble based on his current form.

It's a big call to make, but concentrating on the European Tour next year may be his best chance of getting back to where he belongs.

I'm fairly sure the Top 125 per the money list to retain their cards will be frozen at the end of this event. Anything else would make no sense.

The second part of your post I completely agree with.

Martin567 wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure the Top 125 per the money list to retain their cards will be frozen at the end of this event.

Maybe they've changed it this year, but in previous years the money list included the playoffs and the Fall Series. I remember Luke Donald playing in the final event of the Fall Series two years ago and winning it to ensure that he finished top of both money lists.

Maybe they've changed it this year, but in previous years the money list included the playoffs and the Fall Series. I remember Luke Donald playing in the final event of the Fall Series two years ago and winning it to ensure that he finished top of both money lists.

He is 110th on the money list. The 2013 fall series is now the start of 2014 season.

• Advertisement

The whole thing has been changed this year. Tour School to gain a 2014 playing card is no more. The top 125 on the FedEx points list on Sunday night have a guaranteed card for next year. The next 75 on the FedEx list together with the top 75 from the Web.com Tour will be playing a series of four events at the same time as the FedEx Cup events with (I think) 50 tour cards for next year available. Top 125 on the money list are also assured of cards for next year and I can only assume that the cut-off for that list is also Sunday. Otherwise, players in the same situation as Padraig would have no further opportunities to play yet could still lose out to players with less money than them at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement