Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭abff

He is 110th on the money list. The 2013 fall series is now the start of 2014 season.

Yes, I know that. My point was that both the playoffs and the Fall Series counted in determining the final money list. Even though the Fall Series in now part of the 2014 season, I think it's likely that the playoffs will count towards the final 2013 money list.

Otherwise, someone just outside the top 125 who has a great playoffs would still lose his card. This does not seem logical unless they change the qualification criteria for next year so that both the top 125 in the Fedex Cup and the top 125 in the money list retain their playing privileges.

Martin567 wrote: »
    The whole thing has been changed this year. Tour School to gain a 2014 playing card is no more. The top 125 on the FedEx points list on Sunday night have a guaranteed card for next year. The next 75 on the FedEx list together with the top 75 from the Web.com Tour will be playing a series of four events at the same time as the FedEx Cup events with (I think) 50 tour cards for next year available. Top 125 on the money list are also assured of cards for next year and I can only assume that the cut-off for that list is also Sunday. Otherwise, players in the same situation as Padraig would have no further opportunities to play yet could still lose out to players with less money than them at the moment.

Thanks Martin. Our posts crossed, but I see you've answered my question. That seems logical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

abff wrote: »
    Yes, I know that. My point was that both the playoffs and the Fall Series counted in determining the final money list. Even though the Fall Series in now part of the 2014 season, I think it's likely that the playoffs will count towards the final 2013 money list.

Otherwise, someone just outside the top 125 who has a great playoffs would still lose his card. This does not seem logical unless they change the qualification criteria for next year so that both the top 125 in the Fedex Cup and the top 125 in the money list retain their playing privileges.

You answered your own problem there at the end as stated before you both the top 125 on fed ex and money lists make it in. With the deadline being this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

They have changed it that top 125 lists retains their cards.

I also think that the playoffs count towards the 2013 money list but im sure he's safe enough at 110th. Most lads behind him wont be playing after this week either. Chances of 16 players jumping him must be fairly slim. He is currently $130K ahead of 126th place.

I found this on the pga website http://www.pga.com/news/pga-tour/rules-2013-pga-tour-season-will-reward-consistency-over-hot-streaks

This confirms that players in either top 125 will get their cards next season. But it doesn't say anything about the money list qualification being based on a cut off prior to the playoffs. So I think Jerry is correct in surmising that the playoffs will be included.

As to whether Padraig is at risk, I think we'll have a much better idea come Sunday evening. Of course, he could make all this speculation redundant by making the cut and having a good weekend to qualify for the playoffs. Bit of a long shot, but his game yesterday seemed to be in OK shape apart from his putting, which was dire. If he has a hot putter today, who knows?

• Advertisement

Actually, I just had another look at that article and it says the top 125 on the money list next August. So my previous post is rubbish! Sorry about that. Good news for Padraig though.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

Triple on second today Thats the end of the fwdex

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭minstrel_boy

Dero123 wrote: »
    Triple on second today Thats the end of the fwdex

Make that a quadruple! Two wedges from inside 90 yards on first two holes and didn't hit the green with either of them. Desperate stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

Absolutely woeful. So frustrating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Salthill driving range reopening with a new resident pro ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I suppose we will see a lot of him in Europe for the test of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Ryder cup qualification starting in September so he should return home and join the European team.

I'll be over in the Algarve when the Portuguese Masters is on in mid October and hope to be able to follow him around (and maybe cheer him on to victory).

Ouch! Just had another double. Not that it matters now, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Maybe he'd be better getting a dose of reality by losing his US card and trying to re-build his career in the more humble environs of the European Tour. He's far from a top player at the moment and his mind seems in bits - maybe through trying too hard to be the 'top-player' he was in the past. Stop trying for a cure-all gimmick from one week to the next, all of which are quickly failing, and instead go back to basics.

TOBH though I wouldn't be surprised if his swing changes a few years ago after winning 3 majors could in a sense have been a self-sabotaging, as he didn't feel comfortable at that level of fame. My impression over the last good while is if he does find himself in contention near the top of a leaderboard, he'll pretty quickly find a way of getting away from it. I know there's the odd strong showing but they're so odd as to be the exception that proves the rule rather than otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

pelevin wrote: »
    TOBH though I wouldn't be surprised if his swing changes a few years ago after winning 3 majors could in a sense have been a self-sabotaging, as he didn't feel comfortable at that level of fame. My impression over the last good while is if he does find himself in contention near the top of a leaderboard, he'll pretty quickly find a way of getting away from it. I know there's the odd strong showing but they're so odd as to be the exception that proves the rule rather than otherwise.

Very Freudian.

Going further, maybe he now regrets his whole career, and is rebelling against the IFSC accountant from Stepaside and Stackstown 'scratchman' that Padraig never was. I think thats it.

Maybe he'd be better getting a dose of reality by losing his US card and trying to re-build his career in the more humble environs of the European Tour. He's far from a top player at the moment and his mind seems in bits - maybe through trying too hard to be the 'top-player' he was in the past. Stop trying for a cure-all gimmick from one week to the next, all of which are quickly failing, and instead go back to basics.

I don't want to say anything out of place because I know, like and admire him but I really believe he needs to get back to Europe (and home) and have a life outside of golf. The US scene is destroying him. He is obsessive at the best of times and I think having literally nothing to do apart from golf is scrambling his head. He is in urgent need of a life.

Almaviva wrote: »
    Very Freudian.

Going further, maybe he now regrets his whole career, and is rebelling against the IFSC accountant from Stepaside and Stackstown 'scratchman' that Padraig never was. I think thats it.

Sorry bout that. Twas fierce deep altogether, thinking and all that.

Alternative post:

Go Padraig, you're my favourite Irish golfer. Big wins only just around the corner. Believe.

Sorry bout that. Twas fierce deep altogether, thinking and all that.

Alternative post:

Go Padraig, you're my favourite Irish golfer. Big wins only just around the corner. Believe.

Very clever.

You get called on spouting a load of drivel and you respond with sarcasm.

Round of applause.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,358 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

First Up wrote: »
    I suppose we will see a lot of him in Europe for the test of the year.

Ah, we'll still only see him 2 days a week...

• Advertisement

Ah, we'll still only see him 2 days a week...

Maybe, but I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Very clever.

You get called on spouting a load of drivel and you respond with sarcasm.

Round of applause.

I responded to sarcasm with sarcasm. And you get uppity & self-righteous in response.

Bouquet of roses.

Did you actually expect I would be crestfallen by the utterly predictable response to a fairly uncomplicated idea and apologise along the lines of "Oh I'm so embarrassed. I've made a fool of myself before my betters."

First Up wrote: »
    I don't want to say anything out of place because I know, like and admire him but I really believe he needs to get back to Europe (and home) and have a life outside of golf. The US scene is destroying him. He is obsessive at the best of times and I think having literally nothing to do apart from golf is scrambling his head. He is in urgent need of a life.

I think I'd go along with that. Golf in Europe would be much more a part of daily life rather than going over to the States to do something special, & life there being as likely almost purely about the golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

might be equally hard to come back to euro tour "as a loser" though...

GreeBo wrote: »
    might be equally hard to come back to euro tour "as a loser" though...

Eat some humble pie if that's what it takes. Paul Casey has had to re-build, Westwood a few years back. People in general, in golf anyway, are hardly that vindictive that they'd be looking down on a 3-time Major winner as a loser. More likely I'm sure in Europe that he'd be looked on with respect. I remember Fisher, who seemed to play most of the golf, gushing about how proud he felt playing with a multiple Major winner, when partnered with Harrington in the Ryder Cup in Wales.
    I'd say that'd be a fairly common reaction amongst European pro's.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

^I mean in his head, I dont think any sane person could look down on Harrington (well baring a few on here of course!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

People in general, in golf anyway, are hardly that vindictive that they'd be looking down on a 3-time Major winner as a loser.

Have you read this thread?

GreeBo wrote: »
    ^I mean in his head, I dont think any sane person could look down on Harrington (well baring a few on here of course!)

Well as I said, eat a little humble pie, and maybe in doing so get back to basics of just being a person playing golf for a living. Playing golf or sport really isn't very important, and so all the mental issues which seem to be plaguing him might resolve themselves by just being a pro on the European Tour, within easy reach of home, and not having to try to live up to being a "superstar" with all the media focus & stresses.

ForeRight wrote: »
    Have you read this thread?

It's hardly as if he'd be meeting hecklers on the courses of Europe, in my understanding of golf over here anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,358 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

sometimes multiple major winners just go poo before their time. Harri is starting to look one of them

Other examples would be Seve or Faldo or Lyle - had loads of good years in them, but they just couldnt do it anymore once they hit 40-ish

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement