Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

First Up wrote: »
    Maybe, but I wouldn't write him off just yet.

No ? So when would you write him off ? When he gets to 100 in the world rankings ? When he starts missing 10 cuts in a row ? When exactly.

This thread is becoming laughable with the amount of believers that actually think something big is going to happen, or even worst, having an actual punt on him !!
    Home pride getting in the way of clear and logical sense !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Nevermind just making it worthwhile for those knocking Harrington if I kept it up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I've been one of the few that still believed Harrington could pull through this slump, but it's becoming more obvious every week that he just doesn't have it anymore. Whether that's because of mental frailties or messing with his swing I don't know but it looks over for him, really can't see him winning another tournament at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

No ? So when would you write him off ? When he gets to 100 in the world rankings ? When he starts missing 10 cuts in a row ? When exactly.

This thread is becoming laughable with the amount of believers that actually think something big is going to happen, or even worst, having an actual punt on him !!

What has having clear and logical sense got to do with supporting someone?

Regardless of results or performance I will be rooting for Harry until the day he retires.
    IMO he has earned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

So you have decided he is finished? Maybe you are right, but talent doesn't disappear. He infuriates me as much as anyone with his constant fiddling and obsessive analysis and I think that is a big part of his problem. I think a spell in Europe would do him the world of good. He would have a life outside of golf and his golf would be the better for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

So you have decided he is finished? Maybe you are right, but talent doesn't disappear.

It depends how you define talent.

If you call it a natural ability that elevates you above the rest of even the pro tour level golfers into the top 10, I would say Padraig never had it. He made himself a best in the world golfer through incredible hard work and attention to detail in every facet of the game. He has never had the natural skill of an Els, Mickelson, or even, though lesser achievers compared to him, Garcia or Monty.

If you call talent the wider ability to be a world ranking top 50 golfer, then yes he had it. But that does wane. That for me is where P is at.

Nothing wrong with supporting him, looking for his score, watching him when he is on TV, etc. But there really is nothing at the moment to suggest that he is not on a general slide and will never get back to the top (people getting excited about him winning that 4 man tournament last year (or before) was just pathetic). Playing the second division Euro tour could help slow the slide: easier competition, and maybethe mental boost of not having to cut it week in week out with the big guns. He might even win one. But it would still be all part of a wind down.

Despite all that - he's still Ireland greatest sportsperson ever.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    What has having clear and logical sense got to do with supporting someone?

Regardless of results or performance I will be rooting for Harry until the day he retires.
    IMO he has earned it.

Supporting Padraig is one thing.
    Believing he's close to coming back or even putting money on him ... is extremely illogical and down right stupid.

Believing he's close to coming back or even putting money on him ... is extremely illogical and down right stupid.

Now you are just being insulting.
    Live and let live.

Now you are just being insulting.
    Live and let live.

How on earth is that insulting !

There is a big difference between supporting someone and believing they can still win.
    You can still support someone knowing they don't have a chance.

Who is saying that he "close to coming back" or talking about putting money on him? What I see people saying - me included - is that he would not be the first golfer to reverse a slide. Whether he can do so is anyone's guess but he is a highly intelligent, dedicated player of considerable talent and I wouldn't put it past him.

• Advertisement

How on earth is that insulting !

There is a big difference between supporting someone and believing they can still win.
    You can still support someone knowing they don't have a chance.

Stop acting so innocent. Your sole aim on this thread appears to be to knock everyone who roots for him.

You don't think he is coming back. Ok, that's cool. Swallow the venom you post with. You may well be right that he has gone too far, but you don't have to enjoy it so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Stop acting so innocent. Your sole aim on this thread appears to be to knock everyone who roots for him.

You don't think he is coming back. Ok, that's cool. Swallow the venom you post with. You may well be right that he has gone too far, but you don't have to enjoy it so much.

Exactly. I don't see the need for people to come on this thread to constantly try to tell people what they think is wrong and then come in at every opportunity with 'I told you so' digs. Just don't bother opening the thread.

Its a discussion forum, not an only-post-here-if-you-agree-with-us forum.

Almaviva wrote: »
    It depends how you define talent.

If you call it a natural ability that elevates you above the rest of even the pro tour level golfers into the top 10, I would say Padraig never had it. He made himself a best in the world golfer through incredible hard work and attention to detail in every facet of the game. He has never had the natural skill of an Els, Mickelson, or even, though lesser achievers compared to him, Garcia or Monty.

If you call talent the wider ability to be a world ranking top 50 golfer, then yes he had it. But that does wane. That for me is where P is at.

Nothing wrong with supporting him, looking for his score, watching him when he is on TV, etc. But there really is nothing at the moment to suggest that he is not on a general slide and will never get back to the top (people getting excited about him winning that 4 man tournament last year (or before) was just pathetic). Playing the second division Euro tour could help slow the slide: easier competition, and maybethe mental boost of not having to cut it week in week out with the big guns. He might even win one. But it would still be all part of a wind down.

Despite all that - he's still Ireland greatest sportsperson ever.

I think his record suggests he has enough talent to compete at the top level. His decline is there to see but he would not be the first player to reverse a seemingly irreversible slide.

Not sure I would categorise the European Tour as second division. Did you check the Ryder Cup results recently? Less money maybe but more varied courses and conditions and a welcome lack of bozos shouting "get in the hole" every few minutes. I would like to see him spend some time in Europe (and at home) and enjoy life a bit more than he does trekking around the US. He can cement his place in Dubai and have a life at the same time.

Curious similarities here with some of the religeous forums:
    - 'believers'
    - 'the evidence doesnt add up' brigade
    - 'you are offending me now'
    - 'stop posting here, some of us dont like what you say'
    - 'free speech, if you are confident in your belied them someone questioning it shouldnt be a problem for you'

etc.

Since that's obviously in my direction, I want to be perfectly clear. I know this is a discussion forum, as it should be. I never said don't post. RGK's opinion is every bit as valid as mine.

Not sure I would categorise the European Tour as second division. Did you check the Ryder Cup results recently? .

Yes. US based players always have great representation on the winning team !

Of course it's a discussion forum, but it's not a discussion if the same few people just keep repeating the same things over and over just to try to tell people they're wrong

fullstop wrote: »
    Of course it's a discussion forum, but it's not a discussion if the same few people just keep repeating the same things over and over just to try to tell people they're wrong

Its fair to comment when the evidence repeatedly accumulates supporting their view.

Yes. US based players always have great representation on the winning team !

Where they go after they have reached RC level.

• Advertisement

I would also expect them to post if the situation changed acknowledging their error.

Where they go after they have reached RC level.

Exactly the point - once they reach first division level they go and play in.

Exactly the point - once they reach first division level they go and play in.

They follow the money. Prize funds are not the sole measure of quality.

Who is saying that he "close to coming back" or talking about putting money on him?

ok,
    Fixdepitchmark recently said he thinks he's close to coming back.
    and someone said only the other day they had money on harrington as first round leader.

does that answer your question ?

ok,
    Fixdepitchmark recently said he thinks he's close to coming back.
    and someone said only the other day they had money on harrington as first round leader.

does that answer your question ?

"Recently" and the "other day". Two posts of indeterminate age and you keep going on about it as if it was the theme of this thread.

"Recently" and the "other day". Two posts of indeterminate age and you keep going on about it as if it was the theme of this thread.

I was asked a question First Up, and I answered it.
    Yes, the getting close to getting back comment was made maybe 2 months ago.
    The comment about putting money on harrington as first round leader was made Wed or Thurs of this week !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still indeterminate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

They follow the money. Prize funds are not the sole measure of quality.

Prize funds attract better fields. Better fields = higher quality

I was asked a question First Up, and I answered it.
    Yes, the getting close to getting back comment was made maybe 2 months ago.
    The comment about putting money on harrington as first round leader was made Wed or Thurs of this week !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still indeterminate ?

It's funny that nobody questioned the post about putting money on him as first round leader until he had already had a terrible front 9 and, predictably enough, Aidric comes in with an 'aftertiming' comment which is pretty ironic as he's called people out on doing the same thing in this forum.

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Prize funds attract better fields. Better fields = higher quality

No, bigger prize funds attract the better European players. Plenty of (relative) mediocrity on the PGA Tour.

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote: »
    It's funny that nobody questioned the post about putting money on him as first round leader until he had already had a terrible front 9 and, predictably enough, Aidric comes in with an 'aftertiming' comment which is pretty ironic as he's called people out on doing the same thing in this forum.

Actually I've questioned plenty of posts about people betting on Harrington. It's as good as burning money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement