Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I was asked a question First Up, and I answered it.
    Yes, the getting close to getting back comment was made maybe 2 months ago.
    The comment about putting money on harrington as first round leader was made Wed or Thurs of this week !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still indeterminate ?

Maybe two months ago... yeah, I think I would call that pretty indeterminate - and as the basis for a rant now, pretty ridiculous.

Actually I've questioned plenty of posts about people betting on Harrington. It's as good as burning money.

So who should people bet on to please you? Or do you just object to bets on PH?

(I wouldn't bet on him either, but I'll bet it wasn't the only bet lost this week. How many mugs believed the hype about Tiger at the PGA and threw their cash into the fire?)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Giving Padraig stick here , seems to be now a full time job here.

Lads , we are all golf fans. We know he is having a bad patch.
    That is the ebb and flow of golf, of life.

I say the same thing here all the time, I followed Irish golf when we were useless at majors.
    So , Padraig can do anything now, he has given me so much.
    I actually cried when he won his first, got them to turn it on in a GAA pub in Kerry.

Also people who think Padraig is finished dont understand golf.

Like saying Tom Watson was finished in what, the 90s.

So chill lads, he is a legend of Irish golf. Nobody can change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

First Up wrote: »
    So who should people bet on to please you? Or do you just object to bets on PH?

(I wouldn't bet on him either, but I'll bet it wasn't the only bet lost this week. How many mugs believed the hype about Tiger at the PGA and threw their cash into the fire?)

Eh, maybe something that has even a slight chance of winning !!!

Eh, maybe something that has even a slight chance of winning !!!

The bet you posted about was him having a good first round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Really strange how some people seem to take offence to others support of a golfer.
    If someone wants to back Paddy so be it. It's just the same blind loyalty we all show across many sporting disciplines. I have the same thing with Meath GAA. In my head I know we won't win an All Ireland,but come the first round of Championship football every summer my heart takes over and I won't be told there is a better team in the country.

As for people saying Harrington was close to a comeback a few months ago. The argument could certainly have been made. The switch to the belly putter did seem to give him a bit more confidence inside 8 feet and that was snowballing into the rest of his game. In retrospect it was a short term fix and the putting strike has gone backwards again but nobody could have seen that coming.

As I've said previously I'm starting to lose faith that he can return to anywhere near his best but as a golf fan and an Irish sports fan I hope he can prove me and many others wrong

Also people who think Padraig is finished dont understand golf.

I could say that people who still think Padraig has what it takes to be a winner again dont understand golf.

So chill lads, he is a legend of Irish golf. Nobody can change that.

Of course he is a legend of Irish golf, noone is denying that.

what people (some of us) are saying is that he's finished now, and he's had his day.
    Like I said, there is one thing about loyalty, and one thing about facts and stats.

I could say that people who still think Padraig has what it takes to be a winner again dont understand golf.

So from your deep knowledge of the game you cannot think of a single case of a player who came back from a long slump in form and confidence and slide down the rankings?

You don't give any reasons for your view though. For me, it seems he has an issue with the mental side of the game with putting being his main problem, especially over the short ones which he consistently over reads. But you can't blame people for believing he can overcome this. Calling people stupid and idiotic for hoping that one of their sporting heros can return to the top is a fairly sh1tty thing to do to be honest. By all means disagree with them but leave the school yard name calling out of it

• Advertisement

what people (some of us) are saying is that he's finished now, and he's had his day.
    Like I said, there is one thing about loyalty, and one thing about facts and stats.

Yes , but there seems to be a zealous pleasure in it.

He is s nice bloke.
    No need for it.

I'd nearly be pushing for a new rule on forum .

Hard work looking at posts so negative about him on the Padraig thread.

Felexicon wrote: »
    Really strange how some people seem to take offence to others support of a golfer.
    If someone wants to back Paddy so be it. It's just the same blind loyalty we all show across many sporting disciplines. I have the same thing with Meath GAA. In my head I know we won't win an All Ireland,but come the first round of Championship football every summer my heart takes over and I won't be told there is a better team in the country.

As for people saying Harrington was close to a comeback a few months ago. The argument could certainly have been made. The switch to the belly putter did seem to give him a bit more confidence inside 8 feet and that was snowballing into the rest of his game. In retrospect it was a short term fix and the putting strike has gone backwards again but nobody could have seen that coming.

As I've said previously I'm starting to lose faith that he can return to anywhere near his best but as a golf fan and an Irish sports fan I hope he can prove me and many others wrong
    I'm not talking about "faith" or even about rooting for one of our own. I just think it is silly to make black and white pronouncements about a game that is so notoriously fickle.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yes , but there seems to be a zealous pleasure in it.

He is s nice bloke.
    No need for it.

Isn't the whole idea of boards to be able to express your opinion?

Youd be wrong

Clarke
    Langer
    Watson
    Seve
    O'connor
    Nickalus
    Westwood
    Rose

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭abff

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. Doesn't make it a fact. Others believe that he'll make a comeback and they are also entitled to express their opinions.

Isn't the whole idea of boards to be able to express your opinion?

Yes, but when it becomes disruptive.
    Like Monty or Gambling.

It ruins a legends thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭abff

Like Monty or Gambling.

The issue is not about whether people are entitled to express their opinions, it's how some people go about it that's the problem. Some are just stirring things up for the sake of it; others seem to think they know better than everyone else and that anyone who disagrees with them is an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Like Monty or Gambling.

Setting new rules is a bit extreme IMO. People just need to remember that other posters are entitled to their opinions and those opinions should be respected.

My own opinion is that it is far too early to be calling an end to Padraig's career. Golf is a game of slumps, some longer than others, so hopefully he will have another day in the sun.

Oh would you give me a break, that's just pathetic.
    Pushing for a new rule because I'm disagreeing with the Majority or hurting your feelings because I think the once great golfer has had his day.
    Ignore my posts if it's that emotionally draining for you!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Like Monty or Gambling.

C'est la vie.

Harrington's poor current game and his seemingly nonstop tinkering with all elements of it after winning 3 majors is a puzzle and frustration to many.

He should be in his prime, but has messed up royally.

• Advertisement

He should be in his prime, but has messed up royally.

He went and changed his swing after winning 3 majors, and then started over thinking.
    He doesn't have the natural talent like woods to be able to change his swing like that. It was harringtons hard work, not natural ability that got him to where he was. Mind boggling looking back really.

Calling for a rule change is a bit precious lads. If you can't take someone disagreeing with you maybe teh interweebs is not the place for you. Never mind a discussion forum.

Do people really get that bothered by peoples opinions on here. If someone disagrees with me I'll argue my point but I never expect to change another posters opinion, I simply want them to realise that there is another way to look at the issue. A bit of perspective is needed for some here I think

Oh would you give me a break, that's just pathetic.
    Pushing for a new rule because I'm disagreeing with the Majority or hurting your feelings because I think the once great golfer has had his day.
    Ignore my posts if it's that emotionally draining for you!

Yes I'm an emotional guy.

You seem to be getting a bit upset there yourself with the idea.

How about a new thread (Padraig) for the over zealous haters .

Hard to ignore the Padraig thread . I think its time for the Padraig fans fight back.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

realgolfgeek why are you still posting in this thread? Seriously, everyone gets that you think Harrington is past it, rubbish, will never win again etc. That's your opinion and you're entitled to it and the way things are going you may be proved 100% correct.

Is posting the same point over and over again not boring you at this stage? Because its not exactly adding to any discussion here one way or the other.

Yes I'm an emotional guy.

You seem to be getting a bit upset there yourself with the idea.

How about a new thread (Padraig) for the over zealous haters .

Hard to ignore the Padraig thread . I think its time for the Padraig fans fight back.

No I'm not getting upset, believe me.
    I'm just amazed at how you actually think a new rule should be brought in.

Give me one post where I come across as a zealous hater.
    Find me one, and I'll never post on this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

What I see in this thread is a few people coming in slagging Harrington for not playing well. People put up with it at the start and tried to argue/discuss amicably. However as time went on people just started getting fed up with what appears to be an over-zealous manner in which we are told that Harrington is a no hope anymore. There's only so long before people can put up with listening to the same story before cracks begin to show.

I for one am simply fed up of it all. What purpose does continually criticising Harrington when we all know he is going through a difficult time serve.

SSK wrote: »
    realgolfgeek why are you still posting in this thread? Seriously, everyone gets that you think Harrington is past it, rubbish, will never win again etc. That's your opinion and you're entitled to it and the way things are going you may be proved 100% correct.

Is posting the same point over and over again not boring you at this stage? Because its not exactly adding to any discussion here one way or the other.
    Wind your neck in son. You're no mod. He is entitled, as is everyone to post their views as many times as he wishes

SSK wrote: »

Oh so it's like that.

Well maybe I'm sick of hearing this over and over and over again

* hope he has a good week
    * needs to change his caddy
    * a spell in europe will be the best thing for him.
    etc, etc, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Felexicon wrote: »
    Wind your neck in son. You're no mod. He is entitled, as is everyone to post their views as many times as he wishes

Sure he is, just wondering what his motivation is for posting the same point ad nauseum. Its turning the thread to **** with constant round and round arguments, particularly when there'll always be another Harrington defender on an Irish golfing forum.

And my neck is well and truly wound in, cheers :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

He went and changed his swing after winning 3 majors, and then started over thinking.
    He doesn't have the natural talent like woods to be able to change his swing like that. It was harringtons hard work, not natural ability that got him to where he was. Mind boggling looking back really.

Seeing as you know so much, you'll know that he has constantly been evolving his swing since he came on tour. Go and have a look at him playing in 1995 or 1996 and tell me that was the same swing he won 3 majors with? So yes, he does have the ability to change his swing 'like that'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement