Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Oh so it's like that.

Well maybe I'm sick of hearing this over and over and over again

* hope he has a good week
    * needs to change his caddy
    * a spell in europe will be the best thing for him.
    etc, etc, etc

If you're sick of reading it why are you opening a thread about him ffs?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

fullstop wrote: »
    It's funny that nobody questioned the post about putting money on him as first round leader until he had already had a terrible front 9 and, predictably enough, Aidric comes in with an 'aftertiming' comment which is pretty ironic as he's called people out on doing the same thing in this forum.

WTF are you going on about? Have you even bothered to analyse the number of times he has led a tournament this season? Coupled with that the fact that he is in a horrible run of form and you would have to be pretty silly to put money on Harrington.

That sir is a cold hard fact, not an attempted dig at anyone. The problem here is that there are too many precious posters who take gross offence at the merest questioning of Harrington.

Aidric wrote: »
    WTF are you going on about? Have you even bothered to analyse the number of times he has led a tournament this season? Coupled with that the fact that he is in a horrible run of form and you would have to be pretty silly to put money on Harrington.

That sir is a cold hard fact, not an attempted dig at anyone. The problem here is that there are too many precious posters who take gross offence at the merest questioning of Harrington.

So why did you wait until after he had already imploded to question the other poster? 'Aftertiming' as you'd say yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

If you're sick of reading it why are you opening a thread about him ffs?

That's news to me that I opened up a thread about him ?

That's news to me that I opened up a thread about him ?

Can you read the title of the thread :confused:

Of course you ignored the other post about his swing changes...

• Advertisement

Can you read the title of the thread :confused:

Of course you ignored the other post about his swing changes...

Sarcasm Sir, sarcasm.

I haven't ignored the other post by any means.

It took him that long to perfect his swing! He went from having a swing which got him three majors to trying to change again.
    And failed, in a MASSIVE way.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

BOOOOORRRRRRIIIIINNNNNGGGG

BOOOOORRRRRRIIIIINNNNNGGGG

outstanding contribution, well played Sir,

I'm still waiting for evidence showing me as a Zealous Hater.
    Don't worry, I wouldn't be expecting an apology or an admission in your incorrectness.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

outstanding contribution, well played Sir,

I'm still waiting for evidence showing me as a Zealous Hater.
    Don't worry, I wouldn't be expecting an apology or an admission in your incorrectness.

There is always hurlers in ditch in Ireland.

We are great at it.

Anyway . Ill be pushing for new thread or rule.
    Afterhours is here for the sort of stuff that goes on here.

There is always hurlers in ditch in Ireland.

We are great at it.

Afterhours is here for the sort of stuff that goes on here.

You push away for your new rule.
    The rule which will state that for any comments in the harrington thread that are in anyway not supportive should be infracted or banned.

Good man yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Lads will ye step away from the keyboards and take a few deep breaths. Relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭abff

Oh so it's like that.

Well maybe I'm sick of hearing this over and over and over again

* hope he has a good week
    * needs to change his caddy
    * a spell in europe will be the best thing for him.
    etc, etc, etc

If you're sick of hearing the same thing over and over again, why do keep reading this thread and why do you keep posting on it?

And what's wrong with people hoping he has a good week or speculating that a change of caddy or a spell in Europe might be good for him?

abff wrote: »
    And what's wrong with people hoping he has a good week or speculating that a change of caddy or a spell in Europe might be good for him?

Nothing,
    I was making a point that those points to me were also repetitive,
    as my points were repetitive to others, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Martin567

He should be in his prime, but has messed up royally.

Padraig will be 42 in two weeks. Why would you think he should be in his prime now? Phil just won the Open at 43 and a few others have won Majors in their 40s. Nicklaus only won one major after the age of 40 and that was completely out of the blue. A tiny minority of players have had their best years in their 40s but they are very unusual. Most golfers are past their best by 40 so it is a mystery to me why anyone would think Padraig should be in his prime now. We would like him to be but it's not an easy thing to achieve after 18 years as a professional.

Padraig is now older than Seve, Faldo or Lyle were when they won their last professional events. He is considerably older than Watson or Palmer were when they win their final majors. I wonder did these players get such criticism from some of their own fellow countrymen when they failed to reproduce past glories. I also wonder what is the motivation behind such mystifying criticism. To me, the mentality is utterly mindboggling.

Hopefully Padraig can still have one or two good years before he finishes playing. But if he doesn't, he can surely be content in the knowledge that he has had an incredible career. I am firmly convinced that a few people who support him and all of those who criticise have absolutely no understanding of the significance of Padraig's three major wins in a broader sporting context. I can only laugh when I read people saying that if he hadn't changed his swing then he would have won a "few more majors". A few more majors, just like that, with no understanding that if he had done so, he would now be one of the 10 greatest players ever to play the game. So is Padraig really being criticised because people think he's thrown away the chance to be one of the greatest players ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Seriously, this kind of thing just looks pathetic. I finished school a long time ago, but it seems some never want to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Has he played a lot more golf this year compared to others or does it just seem that way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Martin567 wrote: »
    I wonder did these players get such criticism from some of their own fellow countrymen when they failed to reproduce past glories. I also wonder what is the motivation behind such mystifying criticism. To me, the mentality is utterly mindboggling.

By Jupiter. You go out for a round of actual golf and come back to this !

Nobody is criticising PH. The examples of Seve, etc that you cite just make the case for those recognising that the possibilities of P being a serious competitor at world level again are slim. Yet stating that seems to draw ire from those who cling to a 'slump' theory.

At the risk of repeating myself on this forum I'll say this for the last time.

I will praise Harrington when he does well and equally I will criticise him when he isn't. To anyone with a level head that should amount to reasoned analysis. The problem on here is that when you criticise him you are accused of having a vendetta against the man.

I would love to see him back at the top but he is nowhere close to that at the moment so posts testament to 'this will be his week' or having a bet on him on current form just seem utterly bizarre to me. You don't just pull form out of your arse in this game.

As for the way forward for him I'm afraid I'm at a loss. I'm on the record as saying a change of caddy would be a good place to start and he definitely needs to cut out all these gimmicks as they seem to serve as nothing more than a distraction. He is like that gambler down the bookies chasing his losses and as any gambler will tell you, you don't chase your losses.

Seeing as you know so much, you'll know that he has constantly been evolving his swing since he came on tour. Go and have a look at him playing in 1995 or 1996 and tell me that was the same swing he won 3 majors with? So yes, he does have the ability to change his swing 'like that'.

All the more reason, if he can really change his swing, that after 15 years of looking for the one that could win 3 majors out of 6, when you find it, you should quit evolving ?

Almaviva wrote: »
    Nobody is criticising PH. The examples of Seve, etc that you cite just make the case for those recognising that the possibilities of P being a serious competitor at world level again. Yet stating that seems to draw ire from those who cling to a 'slump' theory.

"Nobody is criticising PH". How can you type that and keep a straight face?

I think everyone on here accepts that it is perfectly possible that Padraig will never get his game back anywhere close to what it was. When putting goes and at his age, it's very hard to recover.

Equally, it's certainly not impossible that he can still have an "Indian Summer" before he finishes up. How likely I don't know but I can't see anything wrong in hoping that he can turn things around. Yet those who express such sentiments just get abused and taunted. To be fair, I wouldn't have seen you as someone who was abusing or taunting anyone but I can't understand why you would defend those who do.

• Advertisement

Unlike certain posters in here, I have a long memory. I'm sure plenty of others do also. I find it hard to take seriously being lectured about "reasoned analysis" from probably the most glib and smart-alec poster on this thread.

I can still recall over three years ago when Padraig's game was considerably better than it is now. In one of the limited field FedEx events, he made a very bad start to R1 and was last midway through the round. This individual was right in to post a snapshot of the bottom of the leaderboard with the obligatory smiley face. That's just one of many examples over a long time but you can't expect people not to be able to recognise schadenfreude when they see it.

Martin567 wrote: »
    Unlike certain posters in here, I have a long memory. I'm sure plenty of others do also. I find it hard to take seriously being lectured about "reasoned analysis" from probably the most glib and smart-alec poster on this thread.

I can still recall over three years ago when Padraig's game was considerably better than it is now. In one of the limited field FedEx events, he made a very bad start to R1 and was last midway through the round. This individual was right in to post a snapshot of the bottom of the leaderboard with the obligatory smiley face. That's just one of many examples over a long time but you can't expect people not to be able to recognise schadenfreude when they see it.

Hi Martin. Still carrying a hard on for me I see, good man. I have stated my case fairly in my previous post, a positon I have always maintained on this forum. If you don't like it then sorry.

As for trawling through old posts who could forget this gem from you in June's Travelers Championship. Harrington totally bombed and shot an 80 on the final day from a promising position and you tried to defend his position by pegging his round to Westwood who also had a mare that day, as if that somehow justified his shocker. The mind boggles.

Ah for gods sake can ye give it a rest.

Is he playing this week?

Is he playing this week?

Playing with live ammunition there gordon ;)

(he played Thursday and Friday but missed the cut by a good bit)

Almaviva wrote: »
    Playing with live ammunition there gordon ;)

(he played Thursday and Friday but missed the cut by a good bit)

:) sorry I knew that, I actually meant next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

OK, since a few people are choosing to ignore the initial warning we will try again.
    Any more of the petty sniping an its infraction time.
    If you dont like a thread, stay out of it.
    If you dont like a poster, ignore them. Lord knows I have a few ignored because I have no interest in reading their "insights"
    If you have a problem with a post then report it, responding in kind is likely to earn you an infraction.

No more warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭abff

:) sorry I knew that, I actually meant next week.

Probably not. He played three weeks in a row in the States in the hope of making the playoffs and has failed to so do. The first round of the playoffs is on next week.

The Johnnie Walker Championship is on next week in Gleneagles and he is not on the entry list. I don't know if he would be allowed to submit an entry at this late stage, but I imagine he would not want to do so and will take a break next week.

He'll have to rethink his schedule now that he's failed to make the playoffs. The next two Europeantour events after next week are the Wales Open in Celtic Manor and the European Masters in Switzerland. He may decide to add one or both of them to his schedule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

abff wrote: »
    The Johnnie Walker Championship is on next week in Gleneagles and he is not on the entry list. I don't know if he would be allowed to submit an entry at this late stage, but I imagine he would not want to do so and will take a break next week.

He'll have to rethink his schedule now that he's failed to make the playoffs. The next two Europeantour events after next week are the Wales Open in Celtic Manor and the European Masters in Switzerland. He may decide to add one or both of them to his schedule.

He could still get in if he wanted. Johnnie Walker (Diageo) would obviously like a three time major winner and the European tour know he's still a good draw despite his run of poor form.

PH is entering the Welsh and I suppose depending the outcome there he may decide to enter the European Masters. Having the next week off and missing the Johnnie Walker wouldnt be any harm for him though.

Having the next week off and missing the Johnnie Walker wouldnt be any harm for him though.

To be honest, I don't think having any time off, or playing 3 consecutive tournaments is going to make any difference. The majority of it is in his mind.
    I also believe it's not just his putting, it's all aspects of his game which is suffering. His Par 5 record is not good, and the number of 6's, 7's, 8's which he accumulates is certainly not good.
    That to me is not just playing poorly, it's also poor course management.

As someone said, i think he needs to cut all the gimmicks.
    He needs to sit down, watch how he swung the club when he won 3 majors and try to get his swing back to that level (he did it once, he could do it again), and also get his mindset back to what it was.

At the moment, there is zero sign of improvement, in fact, it's going the opposite direction; which is the reason for me (some of us) stating that there is no coming back for him.

The majority of posters, if not all, probably can't stand my posts about Padraig (and maybe more). I truely believe I'm just honest about the situation and I'm not letting home pride get in the way.

There is hope/belief but there is also true realisation, facts and stats.
    To be given warnings/infractions, or abuse of being a zealous hater, just because I disagree with the majority of the comments is damn right ridiculous. This is a discussion form, not a forum where everyone has to agree with each other.

• Advertisement

I honestly don't think anyone has any difficulty with you expressing an opinion and you may very well turn out to be right on this issue.

It's all a matter of tone. It is quite clear to anyone with a grasp of English that you (& another poster) seem to take great pleasure in being proved correct on a week by week basis. I have no doubt you are well aware of this. It would be perfectly possible to express the exact same opinions without any of this fuss if you were so inclined. Cut out the schadenfreude and the abuse of those who are only hoping Padraig can turn things around and there would be none of these problems. Your last post is not a bad start.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement