Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

Martin567 wrote: »
    I honestly don't think anyone has any difficulty with you expressing an opinion and you may very well turn out to be right on this issue.

It's all a matter of tone. It is quite clear to anyone with a grasp of English that you (& another poster) seem to take great pleasure in being proved correct on a week by week basis. I have no doubt you are well aware of this. It would be perfectly possible to express the exact same opinions without any of this fuss if you were so inclined. Cut out the schadenfreude and the abuse of those who are only hoping Padraig can turn things around and there would be none of these problems. Your last post is not a bad start.

Thanks, but abuse ? Where have I abused ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

drop it lads.no-one else cars about your petty squabbling.
    if you can't let it go, I'll let you go somewhere else for a week or two.
    last chance.

GreeBo wrote: »
    drop it lads.no-one else cars about your petty squabbling.
    if you can't let it go, I'll let you go somewhere else for a week or two.
    last chance.

in all fairness Greebo, we weren't squabbling, myself and martin were having a discussion.
    I only asked him where he thought I was abusive, and if he did find somewhere where I was, I would have apologized. Certainly wasn't squabbling and I'm sure Martin would agree with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Ok lads.

We will all kiss and make up. (Lol)

I was just trying to remind all , that there are Padraig fans here.
    We know most of the points here are true.

But as others have said. Being a fan/supporter. Has got blind loyalty as part of it for some. This loyalty is rewarded so often.

So many people in sport have comebacks, let the ones on here have that hope.
    As a sports fan. I love that virtue of it.

Limerick fans Will be back, sadly with golf there is an end , but look at Rob Hefernan.

Padraig is not going to give up. He is going to be around for a long time.
    So all calming down is a good idea. This is going to be a long walk with ups and downs.

Ok lads.

We will all kiss and make up. (Lol)

I was just trying to remind all , that there are Padraig fans here.
    We know most of the points here are true.

But as others have said. Being a fan/supporter. Has got blind loyalty as part of it for some. This loyalty is rewarded so often.

So many people in sport have comebacks, let the ones on here have that hope.
    As a sports fan. I love that virtue of it.

Limerick fans Will be back, sadly with golf there is an end , but look at Rob Hefernan.

Padraig is not going to give up. He is going to be around for a long time.
    So all calming down is a good idea. This is going to be a long walk with ups and downs.

Yes, of course there are die-hard fans out there, and I have absolutely nothing against that, I think it's great.
    What I don't think is great is when someone mentions facts about his declining game that they're swallowed hole. The pride/support is getting in the way of judging the reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Yes, of course there are die-hard fans out there, and I have absolutely nothing against that, I think it's great.
    What I don't think is great is when someone mentions facts about his declining game that they're swallowed hole. The pride/support is getting in the way of judging the reality.

Fair enough. Point taken.

But , id say he could pull off another top finish in next 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

in all fairness Greebo, we weren't squabbling, myself and martin were having a discussion.
    I only asked him where he thought I was abusive, and if he did find somewhere where I was, I would have apologized. Certainly wasn't squabbling and I'm sure Martin would agree with me.

nobody else cares about your private argument.
    take it to pm, this thread is about Harrington.
    do not reply to this on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

http://www.pgatour.com/fedexcup/projected-standings.html

Ended up 130th in FedEx cup points with 329. Ben Crane took 125th and the last spot in the Barclays with 345.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭cpb

What is his position next year, does he lose his card for 2014 after coming 130th in the fed ex. Will he qualify for a certain number of competitions and have to rely on sponsors invites.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭abff

cpb wrote: »
    What is his position next year, does he lose his card for 2014 after coming 130th in the fed ex. Will he qualify for a certain number of competitions and have to rely on sponsors invites.

This was covered earlier in this thread. I found this on the pga website http://www.pga.com/news/pga-tour/rul...er-hot-streaks

This confirms that players in either the top 125 of the Fedex Cup or the top 125 of the money list in August (presumably with a cut off immediately prior to the play offs) will get their cards next season.

• Advertisement

I just had a look at the money list and the Fedex Cup rankings and it looks as if there are four players who are in the top 125 of the money list, but did not make the playoffs, as follows:

Name Money List Fedex Cup
    Nicolas Colsaerts 110 128
    Padraig Harrington 113 130
    David Toms 122 138
    Peter Hanson 124 127

Just to complete the picture, the four players who made the playoffs from outside the top 125 in the money list are as follows:

Chez Reavie 126 112
    Scott Langley 128 124
    Stuart Appleby 138 123
    George McNeill 139 121

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Martin567

abff wrote: »
    I just had a look at the money list and the Fedex Cup rankings and it looks as if there are four players who are in the top 125 of the money list, but did not make the playoffs, as follows:

Nicolas Colsaerts 110 128
    Padraig Harrington 113 130
    David Toms 122 138
    Peter Hanson 124 127

Thanks for that. The only thing we're not completely sure of then is that the cut-off for the money list 125 is now rather than after the playoffs. As you said though, I would presume it has to be now.

If it were to be after the playoffs, then Peter Hanson would obviously be in danger. By my reckoning, there will be 14 players playing in the Barclays currently behind Padraig in the money list. 13 of those would have to overtake him by the end of the playoffs for him to drop out of the top 125. That seems highly unlikely given that there will be a cut in the first two playoff events.

Martin567 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. The only thing we're not completely sure of then is that the cut-off for the money list 125 is now rather than after the playoffs. As you said though, I would presume it has to be now.

If it were to be after the playoffs, then Peter Hanson would obviously be in danger. By my reckoning, there will be 14 players playing in the Barclays currently behind Padraig in the money list. 13 of those would have to overtake him by the end of the playoffs for him to drop out of the top 125. That seems highly unlikely given that there will be a cut in the first two playoff events.

The wording on the pgacom page says that "The PGA Tour board has approved giving cards to the top 125 in the FedExCup and the top 125 on the money list next August." This suggests that the cut off will take place now, but does not explicitly say so.

Anyway, I agree that it's extremely unlikely that 13 of the 14 players in the playoffs who are currently behind Padraig in the money list will earn enough money to pass him. Hanson and Toms are definitely at risk though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Maybe this is why he seems to be playing a lot. He is trying to secure his card. Once he does this he might take a break and regroup a bit

Maybe this is why he seems to be playing a lot. He is trying to secure his card. Once he does this he might take a break and regroup a bit

He added tournaments to his schedule to try and get into the PGA Tour playoffs. Now that he's missed the playoffs, his priority should be to get into as many of the final series events in the race to Dubai as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AloKildare

I see he has entered the Wales Open:
    http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2013/tournamentid=2013068/teetimes/index.html

and the European Masters:
    http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2013/tournamentid=2013070/teetimes/index.html

It will be interesting to see how he does in these two tournaments, in which he hasn't played for many years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

This is the Padraig Harrington that I think of not the currently out of form one.

Form is temporary class is permanent.

He'll definitely be back I'm sure of it.

http://youtu.be/ZgUi5Px8wKU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

m r c wrote: »
    This is the Padraig Harrington that I think of not the currently out of form one.

Form is temporary class is permanent.

He'll definitely be back I'm sure of it.

http://youtu.be/ZgUi5Px8wKU

I remember watching that, screaming at the telly. I love paddy celebrating a couple of feet out!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Just two rounds on many of them.

First Up wrote: »
    Just two rounds on many of them.

im sure he's not plonked on front of the tv for the other 5 days

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

I see he has been invited back to the grand slam as defending champion. Mickelson not playing

Dero123 wrote: »
    I see he has been invited back to the grand slam as defending champion. Mickelson not playing

Hope that doesn't mean he's going to skip the Portuguese Masters from October 10th to 13th. I was looking forward to seeing him there.

The qualification criteria for the Race to Dubai Final Series are set out here http://www.europeantour.com/mm/document/tournament/tournaments/18/54/51/_english.pdf

As things stand, Padraig would qualify for the first and last tournaments, but he will need to pick up some money over the next few weeks if he wants to stay in the top 60 and remain qualified for the last tournament (he is currently 57th).

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AloKildare

abff wrote: »
    The qualification criteria for the Race to Dubai Final Series are set out here http://www.europeantour.com/mm/document/tournament/tournaments/18/54/51/_english.pdf

As things stand, Padraig would qualify for the first and last tournaments, but he will need to pick up some money over the next few weeks if he wants to stay in the top 60 and remain qualified for the last tournament (he is currently 57th).

My reading of that criteria suggests to me, that he would only qualify for the first event.
    It states that to play in the DP World Tour Championship, you must be in the top 60 in the Race to Dubai AND have played in at least 2 of the previous 3 final series events, which as it stands he would only get into 1.

AloKildare wrote: »
    My reading of that criteria suggests to me, that he would only qualify for the first event.
    It states that to play in the DP World Tour Championship, you must be in the top 60 in the Race to Dubai AND have played in at least 2 of the previous 3 final series events, which as it stands he would only get into 1.

Yes, it says that, but note (ii) says that an exception is made for any player who was not eligible for all 3 tournaments. So all top 60 are eligible, unless they choose to skip 2 of the 3 previous tournaments while eligible for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Phil has pulled out of the PGA Grand Slam so Padraig is called in as last years winner is first reserve. Nice payday again even if no ranking points.
    It doesn't clash with the event in China like it did last year.

Phil has pulled out of the PGA Grand Slam so Padraig is called in as last years winner is first reserve. Nice payday again even if no ranking points.
    It doesn't clash with the event in China like it did last year.

No, but it's on immediately after the Portuguese Masters in Vilamoura. Hopefully, Padraig will be able to play in both - particularly as I have arranged to stay in the Algarve that week so that I can go to the golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GenuineFan

You might be out of luck. The Portugal Masters is on 10-13. The Grand Slam is 14-16. Padraig will hardly make it from Vilamoura to Bermuda overnight !!!! We will be at the Portugal Masters also. It will be a pity if Padraig isn't there because he always has a lovely following, eventhough we switched to Shane Lowry on the last day last year, and were we glad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement