Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭abff

GenuineFan wrote: »
    You might be out of luck. The Portugal Masters is on 10-13. The Grand Slam is 14-16. Padraig will hardly make it from Vilamoura to Bermuda overnight !!!! We will be at the Portugal Masters also. It will be a pity if Padraig isn't there because he always has a lovely following, eventhough we switched to Shane Lowry on the last day last year, and were we glad.

That's why I was a bit disappointed when I heard the news. It's nice for Padraig to get another lucrative payday (and a chance to show those young upstarts how to play golf!) but I would love to have seen hm play in Portugal and it could make the difference between him making the top 60 in the Race to Dubai and not making it.

Having said this, the golf doesn't actually start until Tuesday 15th in Bermuda, so maybe he could make it over in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

If he misses the cut in Portugal he can do both :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Jimdagym wrote: »
    If he misses the cut in Portugal he can do both :)

ah you're opening a can of worms now.

I would be nice to see him making a few cuts and cutting out the double bogeys on par fives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

m r c wrote: »
    This is the Padraig Harrington that I think of not the currently out of form one.

Form is temporary class is permanent.

He'll definitely be back I'm sure of it.

http://youtu.be/ZgUi5Px8wKU

I always thought he holed that to beat Furyk in a play off, not in regular play (not having had Sky at the time). Some putt!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

AloKildare wrote: »
    I see he has entered the Wales Open:
    http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2013/tournamentid=2013068/teetimes/index.html

and the European Masters:
    http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2013/tournamentid=2013070/teetimes/index.html

It will be interesting to see how he does in these two tournaments, in which he hasn't played for many years.

Giving Wales a miss now, will be back for Crans-sur-Sierre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Giving Wales a miss now, will be back for Crans-sur-Sierre.

2 week break is probably a good thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Time for this thread to be humanely put to sleep :pac:

Time for this thread to be humanely put to sleep :pac:

Nobody's forcing you to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Poor old Harrington. A likable lad but an enigma. Can't see him recovering. There's too many elements of his game gone to pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GenuineFan

I know Padraig is doing poorly at the moment, but he is a great ambassador for the game of golf. He is a gentleman, on and off the course. He conducts his business in a very professional manner. Even when he is playing badly, his demeanor on the golf course is very professional. Watching Tiger Woods last night, you would love to go on to the course and tell him to cop on. His body language was awful, cursing, spitting ........ He is like a spoiled child.

Padraig should concentrate now on the European Tour, make a few cuts, and get comfortable again.

• Advertisement

GenuineFan wrote: »
    I know Padraig is doing poorly at the moment, but he is a great ambassador for the game of golf. He is a gentleman, on and off the course. He conducts his business in a very professional manner. Even when he is playing badly, his demeanor on the golf course is very professional. Watching Tiger Woods last night, you would love to go on to the course and tell him to cop on. His body language was awful, cursing, spitting ........ He is like a spoiled child.

Padraig should concentrate now on the European Tour, make a few cuts, and get comfortable again.

I don't think going around smiling like a Cheshire cat when you're 9 over is being professional at all. He needs to get his act together and sometimes you have to get angry with yourself to achieve that. The anger seems to work better for Tiger than the smiling does for Harrington.

I don't think going around smiling like a Cheshire cat when you're 9 over is being professional at all. He needs to get his act together and sometimes you have to get angry with yourself to achieve that. The anger seems to work better for Tiger than the smiling does for Harrington.

I totally disagree.

Just because he's smiling when he's playing badly doesn't mean he's happy with his game. Would you consider it more professional if he behaved like a spoilt child throwing his toys out of the pram?

abff wrote: »
    I totally disagree.

Just because he's smiling when he's playing badly doesn't mean he's happy with his game. Would you consider it more professional if he behaved like a spoilt child throwing his toys out of the pram?

You are entitled to disagree,

I don't see any improvement in Harry's game at all. In fact if anything it's getting worse so I really can't understand the grinning. At least Tiger gets angry and improves afterwards.

You are entitled to disagree,

I don't see any improvement in Harry's game at all. In fact if anything it's getting worse so I really can't understand the grinning. At least Tiger gets angry and improves afterwards.

I don't think the two are at all connected. If Padraig is able to control his emotions and maintain a professional demeanour, that doesn't make him less likely to find a solution to his problems. And I don't see how throwing tantrums on the course would help.

In fairness to Tiger, he didn't really have a normal childhood, so it's not really all that surprising that his behaviour is often immature. He also has more natural talent than Padraig (and pretty much everyone else), so it's more likely that he's going to recover more quickly from slumps than most other players.

I don't think the two are at all connected. If Padraig is able to control his emotions and maintain a professional demeanour, that doesn't make him less likely to find a solution to his problems. And I don't see how throwing tantrums on the course would help.

In fairness to Tiger, he didn't really have a normal childhood, so it's not really all that surprising that his behaviour is often immature. He also has more natural talent than Padraig (and pretty much everyone else), so it's more likely that he's going to recover more quickly from slumps than most other players.

I just find it unnatural to see someone playing crap golf and grinning at everyone. It's as if he's happy when he couldn't possibly be.

I just find it unnatural to see someone playing crap golf and grinning at everyone. It's as if he's happy when he couldn't possibly be.

We're obviously on different wavelengths on this one. I think we should just agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Anyone know when he is playing next?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

vienne86 wrote: »

On a break at the moment for a weeks holidays with the family, thought he would defo enter this week's Wales Open but maybe feels he needs a rest so imagine he will try play either KLM Open/ Or an event on the Asian Tour before the Dunhill Links Championship.

He has already accepted to play the Grand Slam of Golf in Bermuda which is the week following the Portugal Masters so looks as if he may skip that too!

He's shown as being entered for next week's Omega European Masters in Switzerland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

ssbob wrote: »
    On a break at the moment for a weeks holidays with the family, thought he would defo enter this week's Wales Open but maybe feels he needs a rest so imagine he will try play either KLM Open/ Or an event on the Asian Tour before the Dunhill Links Championship.

He has already accepted to play the Grand Slam of Golf in Bermuda which is the week following the Portugal Masters so looks as if he may skip that too!

Let's hope the break does him some good....he needs something to happen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

Harrington must me making most of his annual earnings at his now annual Grand Slam of Golf appearance (designed for the major winners!)

An odd scenario.

He shown as being entered for next week's Omega European Masters in Switzerland.

This is a real surprise, Prize fund is tiny, must be getting a wheelbarrow of cash! It is supposed to be one of the most beautiful courses in the world though so maybe Caroline wanted to go!

Jazzzman wrote: »
    Harrington must me making most of his annual earnings at his now annual Grand Slam of Golf appearance (designed for the major winners!)

An odd scenario.

Was deffo odd last year but it is reasonable to expect he would be invited this year as first reserve considering he is defending champ!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

This is a real surprise, Prize fund is tiny, must be getting a wheelbarrow of cash!

I seriously doubt that !!!!

I seriously doubt that !!!!

Why do you doubt it? What tempted him to play Switzerland over Holland/Italy/Asia? He is surely getting some appearance money, might not be the McIlroy/Tiger $1m but could be €50,000/€100,000

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Why do you doubt it? What tempted him to play Switzerland over Holland/Italy/Asia? He is surely getting some appearance money, might not be the McIlroy/Tiger $1m but could be €50,000/€100,000

You think he needs €50,000 or €100,000 badly enough to play an event that he wouldn't otherwise? He could get that much for a corporate day.

Far more likely he has picked the event that feels right for golf and personal reasons. He needs to get back on the horse and Crans is a nice place to do it. It is also the start of RC qualifying.

First Up wrote: »
    You think he needs €50,000 or €100,000 badly enough to play an event that he wouldn't otherwise? He could get that much for a corporate day.

Far more likely he has picked the event that feels right for golf and personal reasons. He needs to get back on the horse and Crans is a nice place to do it. It is also the start of RC qualifying.

No but I would imagine it was all part of his decision making process, even though it is the start of the Ryder Cup process, anything bar a win represents a very small amount of points towards either side of the qualifying. Will be good to watch him playing in Europe though!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭deko43

The Barton Cup !

This is a real surprise, Prize fund is tiny

The prize fund is €2.2m, which is not that small by European Tour standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Russman

sometimes you have to get angry with yourself to achieve that.

With respect,

Says who ?
    There's too much of that in modern sports. As if throwing the rattle out of the pram will help, when all it will do is "show people you care", which is another load of rubbish. He doesn't have to make an obvious show of being angry just to keep us happy. Its possible to be trying your hardest, failing and still not being rude or cranky. Who says PH isn't angry at his level of play for the 4 years ? I'd say of course he's angry, but you can still be polite and courteous.

Maybe PH has things in perspective, he has a great family, loads of money and, even if it ended now, has had one of the best golf careers ever. Certainly he has a better lifestyle than someone slaving away 9 to 5, Mon-Fri. What's he got to be angry about, really ?

Personally I think he's more than a bit quirky, but I don't think turning into a bo11ox on the course will help.

• Advertisement

Russman wrote: »
    With respect,

Says who ?
    There's too much of that in modern sports. As if throwing the rattle out of the pram will help, when all it will do is "show people you care", which is another load of rubbish. He doesn't have to make an obvious show of being angry just to keep us happy. Its possible to be trying your hardest, failing and still not being rude or cranky. Who says PH isn't angry at his level of play for the 4 years ? I'd say of course he's angry, but you can still be polite and courteous.

Maybe PH has things in perspective, he has a great family, loads of money and, even if it ended now, has had one of the best golf careers ever. Certainly he has a better lifestyle than someone slaving away 9 to 5, Mon-Fri. What's he got to be angry about, really ?

Personally I think he's more than a bit quirky, but I don't think turning into a bo11ox on the course will help.

Maybe he will grin his way to making the next cut then.
    Not talking about his personal life just his golfing one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement