Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What influences you to take part in a Sportif?

• 04-09-2010 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Just looking for a bit of feed back here for a Sportif on the last Saturday or Sunday of May 2011.

Saturday or Sunday?

On-line & postal registration closing a week in advance of the event, we want to be able to have food planned in detail as we want to donate as much money to charity as possible, so, as little waste as possible. Wristbands to food stops will apply. We are looking at the possibility of having a food menu available on the entry so that your number is on your food at the food stop (not everybody likes mayo or butter etc.)

We have one national charity organised for the event but what about giving something back to our own? Is there a fund I read about somewhere for cyclists who have been in accidents or fallen ill?

One that gives you good prep for the wicklow in June and the ROK in early July
    or
    One that stands on its own, with its own signature climbs such as seskin and mahon falls in the Sean kelly. (Hills will not be that difficult, just using an example). There'll still be over 1700m of climbing for over 150k.

Price point
    €20/25 and no jersey. Still leaves the possibility of having a jersey to purchase on the day with all profits made from it's sale going to nominated charity.
    or
    €40+ with a jersey that is unlikely to be to everybodies taste.
    Do most people use a mass production jersey for underlay anyway, so is there any point?

Commercial element (thorny point).
    Would you rather support your local bike store, even if it may cost a little more or would you rather have offers from one of the larger online stores?
    How do cyclists feel about having a retail village at sportif events? Would the commercial element upset people in terms of taking part in the event itself?
    Remember to purchase something is ones own choice, I would be hoping that purchases at the event would be at a decent discount, but what's enough (%) to entice guys to purchase? Opinions please....

What makes you want to come back to an event?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Hi. At the off I think its great that you sem to be putting in so much effort.

Sat is better for me.
    Food menu sounds great.
    I think showers are important. A massage facility (even if there is a small cost is great, but would limit it to maybe 10mins max).
    One that stands on its own, feck preparation for other events. If you run it well over a good course, then why should you stand in the shadow of others.
    €25, no jersey. No goody bag. Spend funds on the event (signage, marshalss, food, showers). Try to get local b&B's, hotels to offer accomodation deals.
    Also, I find very early starts dispiriting. 9.30/10am is perfect I think.
    I wouldnt be offended by a Commercial Village at the event. I dont have to shop.
    I would love a route that would attract me to a place that I have rarely or never been. So be imaginative I would say.
    Very best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

As Rok On said fair play for putting a lot of effort in and asking what people want.

I would think Saturday is the best option as with a lot of people it would save on the possibilty of having to take a day off after it for recovery/travel and allows people to make a weekend of it.

Food menu is a good option but I doubt it needs to be applied to everyone. Most people are happy with pasta, sandwiches, etc. Maybe on the application have an option for special menu for people that have alergies or are vegetarians,

I'm not too pushed about goody bags or Jersy. As long as the event is well marshalled and the food stops have enough food and drinks for everyone to be able to enjoy. I would think thats enough.

With food stops Id say have plenty of room so ques are not too big if you have large numbers. I did the sean kelly 90k and a lot of peolpe skipped the food stop cause the que was too long.

The retail side of it wouldn't bother me unless it was in your face. An open area at the star/finish with a few stalls set up wouldn't be a bad thing.

Dont think theres much more I can add bar Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Some good examples in my opinion, An Post tour of Meath and Lap the lough. Very good value, great food and excellent organisation.

I think to be honest the Wicklow is overated. Its bad value for what you get. The food stops are always disappointing.

Best of luck with your new enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

I prefer Sundays, can get the bike ready and travel down on Saturday.
    Price point €20 no jersey seems good.
    Happy enough with commercial stuff round the start, so long as the prices aren't jacked up.

mickmcl09 wrote: »
    We are looking at the possibility of having a food menu available on the entry so that your number is on your food at the food stop (not everybody likes mayo or butter etc.)

This sounds like a recipe for disaster, someone will take the wrong food, then the guy who specified gluten free hypo-allergenic tofu wraps will kick up a fuss because it's not there.
    Just get a big table, cover it with sambos and cake, and make sure everyone can get at it.:)

If you crack the problem of queues at the food stops, you'll have people coming back, even the Sean Kelly suffers from those if you're not at the front. (I was waiting for a mate, honest;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

have only done 1 sportive so far and would rather see the money going on food, water, marshalls, signs etc then things like jerseys. A good route on good roads with good food stop would do it for me. The sportive i did only had bout 100 people so they just had loads of food out on tables during the event and that worked great. Also I would rather pay more for a limited number of places then less and have loads of cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Saturday or Sunday?
    Sunday

We are looking at the possibility of having a food menu available on the entry so that your number is on your food at the food stop (not everybody likes mayo or butter etc.)
    Edibility and immediate access important.

We have one national charity organised for the event but what about giving something back to our own? Is there a fund I read about somewhere for cyclists who have been in accidents or fallen ill?
    Doubt you could collect enough to make a difference.

Prefer a nice easy sportive in good scenery.

or
    One that stands on its own, with its own signature climbs such as seskin and mahon falls in the Sean kelly. (Hills will not be that difficult, just using an example). There'll still be over 1700m of climbing for over 150k.
    Too long imo.

Price point
    €20/25 and no jersey. Still leaves the possibility of having a jersey to purchase on the day with all profits made from it's sale going to nominated charity.
    Prefer. And I would be happy to voluntarily give more.

or
    Do most people use a mass production jersey for underlay anyway, so is there any point?
    Most have enough jerseys. Don't need a poor quality effort.

Would you rather support your local bike store, even if it may cost a little more or would you rather have offers from one of the larger online stores?

Not sure what you are saying here.

How do cyclists feel about having a retail village at sportif events? Would the commercial element upset people in terms of taking part in the event itself?
    Remember to purchase something is ones own choice, I would be hoping that purchases at the event would be at a decent discount, but what's enough (%) to entice guys to purchase? Opinions please....
    Retail village is good, but what is being sold? Timeshares, food, bicycles? I'd like some local cheese, honey and the like.

Good clear organisation. Don't like amateurish, self-important organisers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

Thanks for asking, mickmcl09. These might help.
    navbits_finallink_ltr.gif How much should a sportive cost?
    navbits_finallink_ltr.gif Sportive goodie bags.
    Some of the posts relate to what you're asking.

I'm just looking at my Dublin Wheelers, North County Challenge Randonnée 2009 certificate and it reminds me of the fact that it was well sign-posted with just single arrows. I like certs. I like arrows. I like it when the host club turns out to support visiting cyclists on the road and wait for the slow climbers at the hilltops.

I'd call it a randonnée, unless it has timing chips, but that's just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Copy and paste the Sean Kelly model (and the other An Post tour events).

What kind of numbers are you hoping for, a menu could get messy with mixed up lunches, people swiping the wrong one, etc. I think having a wide variety (again, Sean Kelly clonmel stop is a perfect example, as is the mount leinster challenge) is the way to go. There could also be issues with queues, I'd take a bit of butter if it meant I could just get my food faster.

I agree with the rest of ROK ON's stuff though, ditch the goody bags, I don't really consider junk mail to ever be a goody. Reduce entry costs and I can get my own drinks and bars.

Good changing facilities with showers, I am now a convert to massage therapy so if that can be added that would be swell.

Nothing against retailers operating stands, Planet-X (under their on-one banner) did this in Waterford and it was out of the way, not shoved down your face.

Ample parking if you are expecting lots of people.

Then it really just comes down to tea/coffee and cake at the end, cocktail sausages too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Bit of a novice here with only two sportifs so far. Saturday is better than Sunday for me, as a few jars after the event is nice without having to face work the next day, also means if I have to travel, I can stay over on the Friday beforehand and make a weekend of it. For us slower types, good signage is important, and personally I like the memento of a t-shirt or jersey but have no problem making it an optional extra. So far I've carried my own food so that's not an issue. Online / postal registration is good. And as with others, I've no issue with commercial types selling there wares at the end, it's optional and we all have to make a buck somewhere.

In terms of coming back to an event, having done the 100 in Wicklow earlier this year, I'm hoping to train hard and do the 200 next year. Visible progression is a great thing, so having multiple courses with varying difficulty is good. Probably do the etape hibernia again next year as well, mainly because of the great people, scenary and general buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

a pi$$ up after it.

that is all.

• Advertisement

a pi$$ up after it.

that is all.
    Actually, thats something that most places should focus on. Reserve a pub etc for later in the evening, and just tell folk where the drinks will be.
    Nice way to unwind and swap war stories (or watch Dirk model the latest orla Kiely by all accounts!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

About a hundred kilometres in length. Fast pace. Target times. Under 300 participants. Hot tea at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Forget about the food menu, that will over complicate it and be an organisational nightmare. Sandwiches, pasta (cheap!), fruit cake, jaffa cakes, bananas- that is what is needed. Bars are nice as riders can take them away but expensive so try to get them sponsored.

Don't close registration a week early, allow entries on the day albeit maybe at a slightly higher price (e.g. a fiver more.) Some people don't know if they will make it and then find they can, etc. I think closing a week early you would be limiting the event too much. Look into a sale or return type deal with your supplier; this should be possible on anything packaged with a long shelf life, like fruit cakes. Then just make your best estimate as to how much is required.

Keep it as cheap as possible, €20 is good. If you find you can't get the cost down to €25 max then drop something from your costings that probably isn't necessary anyway.

A place to go for drinks afterwards is a very good idea particularly if people are travelling for the event. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

copy sean kelly move it to a saturday job done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

timing chips and gold/silver/bronze target times. Think thats the single best thing any sportive should do

Ryder wrote: »
    timing chips and gold/silver/bronze target times. Think thats the single best thing any sportive should do

I disagree very strongly. For me sportivs are a personal challenge over a tough course in a friendly environment.
    Medals anf timing are for races.

Now I am aware that timed sportifs are standard in UK and some continental countries. But honestly if you make it timed it can be ntimidating for a first timer doing that charity ride that gets them hooked on cycling.
    Sportifs are an area where cyclists of all abilities get to share the road for a timebeing.
    Races are for competing against others.
    Just an opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Up with chips, down with timing.

If you have timing chips you're basically making it a race. Then there's no point in having food stops because anyone with a competitive bone in their body won't stop at all, or else will stop and then get all grumpy about the fact that they have to queue for 30 seconds. I speak for myself.

Down with official photographers, jerseys and any kind of "sports food" like powerbars, high-5 and the like. Tea, brack, bananas, sambos, that sort of thing.

Chips and proper beer at the finish would be perfect. Does Ireland have local beer? Kenmc would probably know. If so, I want that.

Guinness, Murphys, Beamish, Biddy Earley, Phoenix. There are others.

I would love a multi day sportif (2-3 days).
    There are many parts of the country that have a variety of interesting routes close by.
    Thus 1 host town with two or three stages all starting and finishing in same town.
    Get local tourist board in on the act.
    Short stage on either Fri evening or Bank Holiday monday.
    Stage 2. Say 150-180 of toughness.
    Stage 3. Something with flat and climbs.

Can enter any one day or all 3.

Just an idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Shame the Kellogs TOI is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Raam wrote: »
    Shame the Kellogs TOI is gone.

+10000000000000000000000 on this.
    Like Roks idea about a multi stage based in the one town. If the racing guys can do it why not. Might resurrect the Mayo 300km:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Saturday or Sunday?
    Saturday - allows you to stay around afterwards
    On-line & postal registration closing a week in advance of the event,
    Cheaper entry until a week in advance, but not a fan of registration completely closing. (understand where you're coming from, esp. if there are 4000 people and you need to organise food)
    Wristbands to food stops will apply. We are looking at the possibility of having a food menu available on the entry so that your number is on your food at the food stop (not everybody likes mayo or butter etc.)
    Sandwiches, cake, tea, bananas (lots) and water. Water stops were v. well done at SK - volunteers running around with bottles topping up bidons
    Concentrate on one charity only.
    or
    While your event has to stand on its own merits, you must be aware of where it sits in the calendar of events that cyclists enter. >150k with >1700m of climbing might be a bit tough for May for people who gear their season towards the SK, or other events. I'd like a 130ish, maybe one big climb (Sally Gap esq) with a few other shorter testers. One short wall is always a good idea as it really provides a talking point.
    Yes - have plenty of sportif jerseys that rarely see the light of day
    Farmer's market idea is a good one - maybe a beer tent? Designated bar in the night is also a good idea
    Good organisation. Scenic route, Smooth running, plenty of food, no queues (or short ones), good hosts - one idea that I saw in a marathon was pacemen running with bright yellow vests and a time on them - you could have a couple of groups of 3-4 home riders each going at a specific pace. For example - have one group with a sign at the start that says 30kph average, another that says 25 etc.. and for cyclists who are on their own it would help to form nice groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Scenic route is a must. Just did a motorway 100k on m9 yesterday and then looked at the photos from the skyride. Clare is amazing. A motorway in kk is not.

Real food and no spaceman food for the sake of everyones insides.

Beer tent after would be brilliant for getting a sense of occasion and achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i have done a nice few this year , the first one was the southeast road clubs ,3 peaks challenge 100 .a great event to start the year .

Food stops should have food when you get there . noting fancie just something easy eaten .

on hot days or long spins water/fruit stops are a must ,i was out of water when i got to the last one on the SKT .

A nice T shirt will always get use ,Slaney CC gave a beanie for the Mt challenge that will get use .plaques/trophies i have enough over the years . again others might be delighted with them ...

cycling jerseys ..i gave this years SK one to a friend who is starting to cycle ,she was delighted with it and promised to earn her own next year.

starting a sportive .look after your cyclists and you will get them back .

ride them on the rim once and they will not come back .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Its a great complaint but the sportif calendar is fairly full at this stage with a choice on some weekends, so I think a new sportif has to have something unique to attract a crowd as well as being "a challenge". I think your first priority should be the routes, say a 150k with a shorter option for those put off by a long day out. Good scenery is a must and use quieter country road where possible. I think a route that combines some coastal and some good climbs / hills would be great.

A turn out of 200 would be a big success and it's good to see plenty from the organizing club taking part, but a members are often too involved in running the event on the day, what about combining with other clubs in the region to organize and run the day.

€20-€25, no T-Shirt up to 3 days prior to event sounds about right, with maybe €5 additional for entries on the day.

Saturday is better if it's a very big day out and you expect to attract from all across the country, otherwise Sunday.

I wouldn't bother with the menu option as others have said, too much hassle for all concerned. I think the best way to cater, avoiding waste to is buy the food and make the sambos after registration when you know the exact numbers. I've seen this done as several sportifs and it works well, even if it was a bit of a busy morning for the sambo makers! The other food can be the usual cake, biscuits, tea, coffee etc.

The charity idea is good too, it would be a good way of getting extra volunteers for marshals and food stops, people that mightn't otherwise get involved.

Best of luck with it, another one to look forward to!

ROK ON wrote: »
    I disagree very strongly. For me sportivs are a personal challenge over a tough course in a friendly environment.

Now I am aware that timed sportifs are standard in UK and some continental countries. But honestly if you make it timed it can be ntimidating for a first timer doing that charity ride that gets them hooked on cycling.
    Sportifs are an area where cyclists of all abilities get to share the road for a timebeing.
    Just an opinion.

The Tour of Louth has timing chips and medals and it wasn't like a race and it was brilliant.

The Tour of Louth has timing chips and medals and it wasn't like a race and it was brilliant.

But would you have enjoyed it less if you didnt get a medal. I have medals from actually winning stuff (long long time ago) and medals from sportifs, neither of them are worth anything to me. However, I have enjoyed both forms of endevour.
    Timing chips etc add to the cost and admin hassle it seems, but add very little to an event IMHO.
    A good event will still be good with or without the chips, bad likewise. However I would be a fan of the Lumen version of chips.
    Where I am really coming from is that every year, someone decides to do a sportif as a way to raise funds for some charity or another. Now some of these folks when they crawl off the bike actually get hooked on cycling and continue. I think that timing chips etc could dissuade individuals. A lot of folks that do their first big sportif just want to complete it.
    Thats all really.
    Maybe if theye were voluntary so interested folks could rent it, maybe.

But would you have enjoyed it less if you didnt get a medal. I have medals from actually winning stuff (long long time ago) and medals from sportifs, neither of them are worth anything to me. However, I have enjoyed both forms of endevour.
    Timing chips etc add to the cost and admin hassle it seems, but add very little to an event IMHO.
    A good event will still be good with or without the chips, bad likewise. However I would be a fan of the Lumen version of chips.
    Where I am really coming from is that every year, someone decides to do a sportif as a way to raise funds for some charity or another. Now some of these folks when they crawl off the bike actually get hooked on cycling and continue. I think that timing chips etc could dissuade individuals. A lot of folks that do their first big sportif just want to complete it.
    Thats all really.
    Maybe if theye were voluntary so interested folks could rent it, maybe.

The medals are what makes the Tour of Louth, for example my group were just inside the gold band but it was touch and go so for the last hour everyone was working really hard altogether. It was the best teamwork I've ever seen. If it wasn't for the incentive of making it in 3 hrs everyone would have probably pootered along at their own pace. So yeah, it would have been a lot less fun without the medals. I'm not suggesting every sportive does it but they are the real selling point of the Tour of Louth.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mellon

How about an optional timing chip when you register which would record a couple King of the Mountain stages with timing mats top and bottom. And maybe a flat 5 to 10km TT section for the sprinters....adding a bit of spice to the sportive but you’d be in no rush for the rest of the cycle or skipping food/water stops.
    Probably a total logistical nightmare and may not be very cost effective...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mickmcl09

Edging with the following

No time chips (Lumen & ROK ON have very valid points), besides I done the Sky Ride and could see how the chip drives you on to race, not to stop and the competitive nature goes up a notch, not something I'd associate with relaxation, conversation and encouragement for the less serious cycling fraternity.
    Besides not having chips will not stop anybody from pushing themselves to the limit and I think 99.9% of serious cyclists have their own timing devices.

Registration up to the morning of the event, with the late registrations paying an extra fiver (extra fiver for charity). Say 5 days before the event for nominal fee and thereafter nominal fee + €5.

No jersey, no medal, no cert. Cut the costs. And pour the money into food and the effort into safety and marshaling

Hadn't thought of it, but a BBQ/Beer tent area at the finish instead of the jerseys, medals, certs etc.

Regarding the distance, there's 2. 101km and 164km. There's 3 & 4 different short cuts on the routes respectively, so we're going to look at additional marshals for the short cuts. There's a 35km short cut on the longer route, which will still see you to a food stop and be fully marshaled anyway for the 101k.

There's a few other ideas mentioned as well, such as the cyclists with the average speed bibs.

Really appreciate all the posts, thanks.

There's one aspect to the routes that will set it apart from the rest of the sportives in the country (have to await confirmation on using the route).

BTW the name for the event will be

The Viking Ride

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

It didn't have timing chips, just had the medals and a mass start. It probably worked out best that way as there's no pressure to be 'first' as specific times weren't recorded, yet there was enough of an incentive to be within the target time for the medals to make it worth pushing for.
    BTW the name for the event will be

The Viking Ride
    With a name like that, a beer tent at the end is pretty much a must.

If you worked it right, you could even convince a pub owner or two to get involved. All you'd need is 1/2 free beers for anyone taking part, with more being available if you want to pay for it.

The medals are what makes the Tour of Louth, for example my group were just inside the gold band but it was touch and go so for the last hour everyone was working really hard altogether. It was the best teamwork I've ever seen. If it wasn't for the incentive of making it in 3 hrs everyone would have probably pootered along at their own pace. So yeah, it would have been a lot less fun without the medals. I'm not suggesting every sportive does it but they are the real selling point of the Tour of Louth.

Good point, we'll continue to read all the feedback.

No, I'm not saying you should do this, I'm just saying that the Tour of Louth did it and it worked, different things work for different sportives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Just looking for a bit of feed back here for a Sportif on the last Saturday or Sunday of May 2011.

Wristbands to food stops will apply.

Don't get caught up with the WW200 mentality, that there are hundreds of renegade cyclists out there who haven't signed up and are out to steal your food ....Cater for the cyclists who have signed up and don't cause unnecessary queues by worrying about nonexistant unregistered charlatans.

ps I prefer saturday. Can do sunday if its local to Dublin but only travel afar if its a saturday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

There's one aspect to the routes that will set it apart from the rest of the sportives in the country (have to await confirmation on using the route).

Hint?? It had better be a good aspect - not just something like using a section of motorway, when cyclists would prefer rolling scenic roads.

I assume your location is where the sportif will be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 ruimar

@mickmcl09 - sounds like your sportif should be a good one. What part of the county will it take place? Is it in association with a cycling club or is this an indepandant event?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

Good point, we'll continue to read all the feedback.

You could also contact 'Ventoux' on this forum, he was involved in organising a new sportif this year, which was very well run. Its only shortcoming was that they perhaps didn't get as many riders as they wanted, but I think that a high proportion of those they did get would come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Re the Timing chips
    We had timing on the Polka Dot and I can honestly say it turned the 120km into a glorified race not so the 80km or the 180km. Overthe last few years its worked that the riders from all routes converge on the main feedstop at much the sametime and there is a good atmosphere. This year the main bunch of riders on the 120 ate and moved on and many felt it took from the whole day.
    As Lumen said the competitive nature of cyclists took over.
    Looking back now we would have been far better off taking the 5 euro off the price as it did nothing for the event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Just an opinion.

i dont necessarily disagree with the above, but think that there is room for a more competitive sportive. Irrespective of timing, all events are a personal challenge, but i think that a proportion of cyclists would like to test themselves against target times, without actually racing. I would cite marathons as an example of a challenge for 90 percent of the competitors, they arent racing, but still enjoy aiming for a target time and returning to beat it. There are racers who prob wouldnt take part in sportive, some people who find it challenge enough to simply complete the distance, but ther must be a proportion who would like to build their year to something a bit more competitive (on a personal lvel, no prizes etc)

In any event, all the rest of the irish sportives are timing free so the novice, or person who jusst wants a social spin is well catered for. Adding gold silver bronze targets might set a new event apart, and i at least, would travel to take part.

I prob should also clarify that i would prefer the tour of louth model rather than timing chips as such...althoughh i know that i kicked all this off by mentioning timing chips. Sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The Tour of Louth has timing chips and medals and it wasn't like a race
    The medals are what makes the Tour of Louth, for example my group were just inside the gold band but it was touch and go so for the last hour everyone was working really hard altogether. It was the best teamwork I've ever seen.

That sounds a lot like a race. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Lumen wrote: »
    Chips and proper beer at the finish would be perfect. Does Ireland have local beer? Kenmc would probably know. If so, I want that.
    Guinness, Murphys, Beamish,
    Not local, all owned by foreign faceless conglomerates.
    Biddy Earley
    Gone I'm afraid.
    Phoenix.
    Tell me more, never heard of them.
    There are others.
    Yes indeedy.
    Waterford : Dungarvan Brewing Company.
    Kildare : Trouble Brewing
    Roscommon : Hooker Brewery
    Carlow : OHaras
    Antrim: Hilden
    Down : Whitewater
    Kerry : Beoir Chorca Dhuibhne
    Armagh : Clanconnell
    Cork : Franciscan Well
    Tipperary : White Gypsy
    Dublin : Porterhouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Saturday or Sunday?
    Saturday. Ppl will hang around and have a few pints and shoot the ****. Gives folk a sense of "community", having achieved a common goal.
    On-line & postal registration closing a week in advance of the event, we want to be able to have food planned in detail as we want to donate as much money to charity as possible, so, as little waste as possible. Wristbands to food stops will apply. We are looking at the possibility of having a food menu available on the entry so that your number is on your food at the food stop (not everybody likes mayo or butter etc.)
    Food menu not important, the ROK does fab food, mountains of sambos and brack and tea and coffee. Sports bars are unnecessary, everyone has their own favourites. Snickers/Mars/Kitkats etc would be a better, cheaper alternative, also jellybabies, Natural Confectionary snakes etc.
    or
    Standalone.
    Price point
    or
    20 quid is perfect. Jersey doesn't matter. Cert at end is cheap to print out, but will probably end in the bin anyway. A tshirt would be a better option than a jersey TBH, in bulk would be cheap as chips. 3 or 4 quid, doesn't have to be very high quality, would likely generate more publicity than a cycling top e.g. I'd end up wearing it to work or out in town or something.
    Not bothered. Unless they obstruct your way to the start and won't let you pass without paying a toll.
    Well organised, friendly, nice scenery, challenging, but with options for shorter routes for friends/family to partake without feeling out of their depth.

Advertisement