Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 ordinary level subjects

• 04-09-2010 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

hello everyone!
    Im in 5th year at the moment studying maths(O.L),Irish(O.L) and english,geog,history,spanish,biology all higher,Im not doing LCVP.I really want to do general nursing so I'll need 400+ points,any tips on getting those points with my two ordinary level subjects as a lot of people have told me that i wont get enogh points but in Junior cert i got all A's and B's??
    Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Work hard. It's very achievable. If you got all B3s, that's 410.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 itzybitzyfitzy

I got 415 and I did pass maths and irish too!
    So work hard and you can do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

I got 480 with Pass Math and Pass Irish. You only have to include one and you can still get up to 560. I know people who did two pass subjects and then decided to take on another higher level subject outside school. That's not necessary unless you suck at both your OL subjects. If you can get an A1 in one of the pass subjects. I got an A1 in pass maths but totally ignored pass Irish which I got a C2 in. It's very do-able. Don't take on another subject unless you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

I'm doing OL maths and irish too. i fully expect myself to attain 410-450

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

I did pass Maths and French and got 410... Pretty achievable since one of those pass subjects probably won't be counted towards your points!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

ciano1 wrote: »
    I did pass Maths and French and got 410... Pretty achievable since one of those pass subjects probably won't be counted towards your points!

That's how I'm treating mine. I'm discarding Irish as a points grabber. Pass it and I'm happy.

I'm focusing on getting an A1 in ordinary maths, then push home the rest of my subjects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

It is extremely doable. You have 2 years to sort it out. I did pass maths and Irish and got 460. Just make sure you can be confident of getting the A's and B's in your 6 chosen subjects. Your only in 5th year so don't worry about these exams yet, just do your homework, it's too early to study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 maemaeve16

well thanks everyone,because I am seriously stressed about that!!Hate the way everyone tells you 2 pass subjects is terrible !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

well if you have 2 pass subjects you have at least 4 if not 5 higher level subjects...

you should get 35-40 points each for your pass subjects so that's 70-80 points already...

then 4 subjects to get the other 330ish points you want..

and i'm going to assume you have 5 honours subjects - well that's only about 65 points needed from each higher subject - not too difficult to achieve if you work hard...

2 pass subjects is grand - don't worry about that and just put the extra effort into the honours subjects but make sure you still do enough to get your pass in the 2 pass subjects - you don't want to be failing pass maths for eg because you completely ignored it - it's not hard to pass but just don't ignore it altogether ;)

just do the sums yourself and you'll realise that 2 pass subjects isn't as bad as "some" people make it out to be...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Try your best and see how you go.
    Make sure to keep the 'back door' option through FETAC in mind. At the end of the day it's the same degree you get.
    There is always another way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Bad days in the Leaving Cert happen, I can attest to that. So why take a chance with only 4 honours subjects? You're only in 5th year, you've loads of time why not look into taking up another honours subject outside of school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 NotYetKatie

maemaeve16 wrote: »
    hello everyone!
    Im in 5th year at the moment studying maths(O.L),Irish(O.L) and english,geog,history,spanish,biology all higher,Im not doing LCVP.I really want to do general nursing so I'll need 400+ points,any tips on getting those points with my two ordinary level subjects as a lot of people have told me that i wont get enogh points but in Junior cert i got all A's and B's??
    Thanks guys :)

You could take up a 'cover' subject as in take up another subject in your spare time. It's not too late now, but you'd have to work over the summer.

Advertisement