Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Check out this Irish Girl Guitarist!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Menolias

Serious Chops on this Chick :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Menolias wrote: »

Serious Chops on this Chick :)

She imho is extremely overrated, just because shes a women she gets airplay etc etc, she's not a patch on Satriani, Gilbert, Petrucci, Vai etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

She imho is extremely overrated, just because shes a women she gets airplay etc etc, she's not a patch on Satriani, Gilbert, Petrucci, Vai etc

Who cares? She has a vagina, that's all that matters ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

ClutchIt wrote: »
    Hot as fcuk.

You should probably get out more...she's a bit of a butterface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,978 ✭✭✭✭briany

So what if she ain't no Steve Vai, technique wise? Takes courage for anyone, male or female to go out and expose ones playing ,or any skill, warts and all on the internet to be dissected by the anonymous criticizers and who here is taking the initiative and showing how it should be done themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

true that, its takes some guts to put up a vid of yourself playing when anything less than robotic perfection will get put downs, and constructive criticism.

true that, its takes some guts to put up a vid of yourself playing when anything less than robotic perfection will get put downs, and constructive criticism.

Constructive criticism is fine. If someone posts and says "Well, I think your tone/playing could use a little bit of work. Why not try _____________?" That's OK but when the criticism doesn't offer anything helpful then I find it's best not to criticize at all as it may serve to discourage. As the man says, "Put up or shut up." Good rule for life, that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

I've seen a lot of guys in bands play worse than the girl in the first vid. Sure it's not perfect but she has some decent chops and she pulls off some difficult stuff. Also she seems pretty young so in a few years she could be a really amazing player.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Since when does guitar playing have to be 100% perfect to be good to listen to. Plenty of my favourite guitarists are sloppy (Jimmy Page, Hendrix, Slash) but that adds to their guitar playing rather than take away from it. Unfortunately people who only listens to metal think that style of guitar playing is the only thing worth listening to and anything less technical is bad! Rhythm, pitch-perfect guitar playing can be just as boring to listen to.

Would love to see some of the amazing guitar playing by some of the people criticising on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

liah wrote: »
    My ex is a fairly good guitarist (I've witnessed him learning and perfectly playing Paul Gilbert's "Curse of Castle Dragon", solo included, within a few hours spanning a week or two), and after having watched him play for about a year just sitting in his bedroom messing around, and watching the girl in the video, she's really, really not that great.

I don't play myself, but I can definitely tell that her technique is sloppy and while she can follow notes, she doesn't really "get" it, if that makes sense? It doesn't seem natural for her.

Either way, my point is, I'm not understanding the hype, and like other posters said, if she was a he this would have no attention at all. Why the novelty just because she has a vagina? Seems a bit misplaced when there's much better guitarists on there whose only evident fault is having a penis instead.

Who's hyping her up? She's just a normal girl who uploaded a video to a guitar competition and much of the criticism is very harsh. Its not like she came on here going "look at me, I'm amazing." Yes she might be able to improve in some areas but there is no such thing as the perfect guitar player. She's also on Boards which is why people are interested, as much as the fact she is a woman.

Also, a sign of a great guitar player is creativity, not being able to learn a Phil Gilbert song in two weeks note-for-note. As impressive as that admittedly is, I know plenty more people who can do that, than can write a song or solo I want to listen to. All the videos posted in this thread show how common 20-note-a-second players are these days - everyone and their cat can do it, it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Since when does guitar playing have to be 100% perfect to be good to listen to. Plenty of my favourite guitarists are sloppy (Jimmy Page, Hendrix, Slash) but that adds to their guitar playing rather than take away from it. Unfortunately people who only listens to metal think that style of guitar playing is the only thing worth listening to and anything less technical is bad! Rhythm, pitch-perfect guitar playing can be just as boring to listen to.

Would love to see some of the amazing guitar playing by some of the people criticising on this thread.

There are people giving their honest opinions, constructive critisism opinions, jealous comments etc. You get all sorts on every forum, including Youtube.

But it would be good to see a vid to go with the negative comments.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

This is true, in my opinion originality is what counts, technical skill is a plus but coming up with new sounds and ideas are what matter to me. The problem some people have is in confusing their opinion for fact, ie this or that guitar player sucks because they can't play technical death metal shred. For me a guitarist like Page will always outrank someone like Vai or Satch who take all the edge and grittiness out of their music in having everything so perfect and symetrical, in addition a guitarist like Page was way more imaginative in adopting different musical styles as with Kashmir and creating sonic atmospheres with them. Kashmir actually has quite a Lovecraftian feel to it with the lyrics and the eastern influences. But then this is just my opinion, I recognize the merits of other guitarists and the contentions that the shredders I have mentioned may be more original than Page in a different more technical sense. In any case not all people can shred, even some well established shredders can't play sweep arpeggios, it just requires a particular mindset but oftentimes a less technically inclined musician will have better ideas and to me composing is worth more than performing or producing exact replicas of whats gone before.

I think that the three things that any musician should aim for are a good ear, being able to sing and being able to write something - to have some form of creativity. I think everything else that they want will follow as a natural function of those three things. It's amazing to me the fullness that a couple of voices singing in harmony and just a single instrument can have and it's why I want to work on being a better singer, which is a nerve wracking prospect for me but I'll try regardless. It's also why I wouldn't be able to make it through any instrumental type album with one instrument pushed out front, like the electric guitar especially when it's trying to be a substitute for the human voice and just trying to do too much in general. A good example for me is "Cool #9" by Joe Satriani, I wish he would have stayed on that cool riff a while longer! But he goes off on one and only revisits the theme once. Maybe he'd say he heard a sax solo or something. The only album I've been able to listen the whole way instrumentally and feel fulfilled is Leo Kottke's "6 and 12 string guitar" but that's just a masterclass in fingerstyle guitar and he is jiving on that guitar at times (makes you stomp your feet) and he's not doing that thing, impressive though it is, of taking a well known song and adapting it to a fingerstyle arrangement, he's letting the guitar do it's own thing and not trying to show off his virtuosity. Not to go all folk though because I know this the rock n metal forum. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

briany wrote: »
    I think that the three things that any musician should aim for are a good ear, being able to sing and being able to write something - to have some form of creativity. I think everything else that they want will follow as a natural function of those three things.
    Disagree a good bit there to be honest. Not everyone wants to sing, and not everyone wants to write. The singing thing is something some people use as a tool to help them on an instrument but I don't think being able to carry a tune has to be tied with being a good musician.
    Also with regard to the writing thing, I myself aim to write but there are plenty of world class musicians who strive to play something already written to the best of their ability, just look at classical music. There are orchestras full of people content to play stuff they didn't write and that's their goal. I can see your point but it wouldn't fit with a lot of musicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Good playing is all about feel which she seems to lack.

Decent enough technique wise albeit far from perfect.

I agree with the poster who said sloppy playing can be a postive thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭WopTittyPop

briany wrote: »
    I think that the three things that any musician should aim for are a good ear, being able to sing and being able to write something - to have some form of creativity. I think everything else that they want will follow as a natural function of those three things.

The first and most important thing any musician should aim for is enjoyment. If you don't have fun while playing an instrument, what's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

that was boring. it was so boring even she looked like she was falling asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭WopTittyPop

red_ice wrote: »
    that was boring. it was so boring even she looked like she was falling asleep.

Funny enough, this post along with your avatar and that picture of Josh Homme just made me feel sleepy! :pac:

*Edit: Not trying to sound like a dick here btw, it actually made me sleepy! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Might as well bump this thread for this youtube vid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement