Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upc internet

Options
  • 04-09-2010 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

Right, I'm ordering Upc internet, but only for 9 months, therefore i will need to cancel it as there is a minimum of a 12 month contract.

Does anyone know how much the cancellation fee will be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

upc dont do a 9 month contract. we got caught with this last year. the disconection fee was €100. there was no way we were going to pay this so after a few phone calls and one very helpfull upc worker (who didnt like the company very much) he told us that because upc only really works in dublin if you live somewhere else ask to bring the box with you. upc cant provide the service there so they are in breach of contract and voila no disconnection fee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

100 euro disconnection fee? that's a bit steep! I'm ordering it for a house which a few friends of mine and me are renting in Dublin for college next week or so, and we won't be there throughout summer so there is no need for the year contract.

is there any other form of broadband company that'd be recommended in our position?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Careful there Glorified, that's not what the T&C say. It might be worth a punt, but UPC are under no obligation to provide cover at the new address, and are not in breach of contract by not doing so.

The €100 early termination (of any UPC service) is still that, the last time I checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

cgarvey wrote: »
    Careful there Glorified, that's not what the T&C say. It might be worth a punt, but UPC are under no obligation to provide cover at the new address, and are not in breach of contract by not doing so.

The €100 early termination (of any UPC service) is still that, the last time I checked.
    Breach of contract is a bit extreme my apologies. this worked for our house. it has also worked for my bother two years ago. we asked could we bring the box with us and as they were unable to provide the service we were not forced to pay the fine. for what ever reason it save us €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Order via this. Might ease the pain a little.

http://www.upc.ie/boardsoffer/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭distraction

@glorified g

only really works in Dublin?, strange heard a lot of Dublin in not actually covered by upc, iv lived in a few cities in Ireland [apart from Dublin] and never had problems with UPC/NTL

@flag123

when your 9months are up you could always move your account to your next gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

I can't speak for UPC but this might be worth a try if you're moving house....

I was with Magnet a few years back but I was only 3 months into the contract when I moved jobs and county. So when new people moved into the house, I rang Magnet and got them to switch the account over to the new people - no breach of contract fee.

Might be worth trying that with UPC if it saves you €100.

The cancellation fee seems to be a bit hefty!..but there is a few of us in the house so it will be split between us all.

After cancellation, no more money will be taking out of the account, right?

And also will they give me notice before taking the monthly fee out of my account by direct debit?

And lastly, how long does it take to set the internet up after you ring and order?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

flag123 wrote: »
    After cancellation, no more money will be taking out of the account, right?
    Unless they make an error, correct. No harm to cancel your DD (with your bank; in writing) after the last bill has gone out.
    And also will they give me notice before taking the monthly fee out of my account by direct debit?
    If you're on a broadband-only package (or BB+TV) with a fixed price per month, they're under no obligation to notify you each month (as you've been notified of the value). If you have telephone as well (varied amount per month), they are obliged, under the rules of the Direct Debit scheme. Either way, you'll see your 2-monthly bills online, so there should be no surprises.
    And lastly, how long does it take to set the internet up after you ring and order?
    Hard to say, as it depends on how busy they are. Even the date given on the website ordering system doesn't mean much (as they'll ring you back and possibly tell you it's not available). Generally, it seems to be within 10 working days, and often within 5.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, the €100 split between you (if there's 3 or 4 of you), is worth it for the better quality of broadband you're getting (unless you're unlucky to be in a heavily over-subscribed area). glorified g's idea is still worth a punt, just don't rely on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wench

UPC have a student offer whereby you don't have to pay for the summer
    http://www.upc.ie/studentoffer/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

wench wrote: »
    UPC have a student offer whereby you don't have to pay for the summer
    http://www.upc.ie/studentoffer/

Doesn't really make too much of a difference because the student deal is €33 per month while the regular deal is €25 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Cancellation fee is now 'up to €200' as per their new T&Cs from Sept 1st

Had a look at the student offer but don't think it would suit me as i'm not sure yet what i'm at next year.

Is there any cheaper internet companies out there with an unlimited download limit, possibly catering for students for a 9 month contract but not necessary just a cheaper disconnection fee or if any none at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Improbable wrote: »
    Doesn't really make too much of a difference because the student deal is €33 per month while the regular deal is €25 a month

You are forgetting about the 7.75 fee they impose on you if you don't get TV with them. So you will be paying 32.75 if your on the normal package or the student deal, but with the student deal you get 4 months free during the summer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Had a look at the student offer but don't think it would suit me as i'm not sure yet what i'm at next year.

Is there any cheaper internet companies out there with an unlimited download limit, possibly catering for students for a 9 month contract but not necessary just a cheaper disconnection fee or if any none at all?

Keep in mind that an "unlimited download limit" is an exceedingly rare thing for an ISP to offer. There will almost always be a separate fair usage policy that completely negates that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mittensmcl

I cancelled my UPC TV package after about nine months and have had nothing but problems ever since.

I made an initial call to UPC customer service a few weeks before I intended to move out and said I wanted to cancel. She said 'no problem' but that there would be a €100 cancellation fee. I asked her was there any other fee or would I only owe UPC the €100 (ie no more monthly fees would be taken out of my bank account) and she said I only owed them €100. She said nothing about a months notice or returning the set top box. She said to confirm in writing that I wanted to cancel but that she was taking care of it.

A few days later, not realising that the service wouldn't be cancelled until a month AFTER they received my letter, I sent it off. A few weeks later, when I had already moved out of the apt (and they had failed to come and collect the box) I got an email saying I owed the hundred euro plus over a months worth of fees. They said they didn't get the letter until six days after I sent it, and that I had to pay my fees for a month AFTER that date as well as the cancellation fee. So UPC wanted me to pay almost €160 euro for a service I was no longer receiving. I cancelled my direct debit and emailed them saying I had a problem with this ridiculous amount of money for a basic TV package. I failed to receive a coherent response so still have not paid. They have taken to ringing me giving a reference number but not saying they're from UPC. I gave them a forwarding address so they can cop on with their sneaky phonecalls and deal with it as a customer service issue.

UPC is an absolute shambles. Make sure you contact them about cancelling at least six weeks before you indeed to move, or in fact it would probably be cheaper for you to just leave it until the year is up and cancel even if you have already moved out. It would have been cheaper for me to do that. Ridiculous!

Advertisement