Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone doing a VTOS course this year?

Options
  • 04-09-2010 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

If so, where are you doing it and what course did you choose?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SuperTyper

Yep, I'm heading into Year 2 in Hairdressing in Crumlin College, its also my second (and final) year receiving VTOS:)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

How long did it take you to get your stuff sorted between the VTOS people and the Social Welfare, such as payments and are you getting the full payment ?

I'm just wondering because I'm starting on Monday on a Pre-Nursing course. I have gotten a "drop out" place so it's all been a bit rushed!

Any info on your situation would be great to know.

VTOS was pretty much sorted straight away. In my case, as Im on One Parent Family Allowance, all it meant was I continue to get that payment from SW but get an extra 40 euro a week (meal and travel allowance). Plus you get help with creche fees also if you have kids.

Get in touch with the VTOS officer in the college straight away because I know only a certain amount of people can get VTOS (so I was told). I applied for my place in March and ticked the VTOS box so I was lucky to get it.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carareen

can you apply for vtos on any course?
    i want to do a hairdressing course would i get vtos for that or must it be full time?

I got VTOS for two years and did the hairdressing course in Crumlin College (plc course). It was a full time course. However, I should not have done the 2nd year as it was a complete waste of time and we learned nothing:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭annacanna

im also on one parent family and starting a vtos course in childcare next week. were you able to get fuel allowance while on vtos and are you 100% sure that we still get the one parent from social welfare on thur and the the money from vtos on fridays? i taught it was all coming from vtos for some reason??

Yes you continue to get your one parent family payment as usual and you get VTOS on Fridays, its not much, I think I got about 30euro extra a week, that was to cover travel allowance and lunch. Yes you get fuel allowance and all other benefits that you already have on OPP.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭annacanna

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Yep I'm starting an animal healthcare course in Dun Laoghaire starting tomorrow and getting VTOS :) Can I just ask if you are going on to do the 2nd year do you have to re-apply at the end of 1st year?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭prionnsias

Hi does anybody know when they start paying the money into your account.

• Advertisement

As far as I can remember once it is a 2 year course (and you passed year 1), you do apply for year 2 and tick the VTOS box. You should go meet with the VTOS officer in your college.

Payment of VTOS can be a bit slow, I know it was a few weeks before I got my first payment in year 1.

Advertisement