Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law degree Non CAO - Social Welfare Entitlements

Options
  • 04-09-2010 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi, i got accepted as a Mature student onto a Ordinary Degree Law course in DIT due to start at the end of September. Non CAO course applied directly to the college

The course is 2 years in duration and its in the evening with just over 6 hours a week of actual lectures.

ive been on the Jobseekers for just over a year having lost my job. I already have a degree in IT & Networking and was working in this area until i was laid off

I have to go in on Tuesday to register and pay my fee which comes to about 2,500 euro for 5 differant modules. What i want to know is do i have to pay all of this fee since i am on social welfare. I simply dont have it.

Am i entitled to a grant or will they leave me on Jobseekers? I am also in receipt of Mortgage relief and am currently everyday looking for a job and will continue to do so while i am studying. I tried looking at the BETA form but it seems to stress that you have to be a full time day student and this course is completly the opposite

Can anybody tell me what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Mark27 wrote: »
    Hi, i got accepted as a Mature student onto a Ordinary Degree Law course in DIT due to start at the end of September. Non CAO course applied directly to the college

The course is 2 years in duration and its in the evening with just over 6 hours a week of actual lectures.

ive been on the Jobseekers for just over a year having lost my job. I already have a degree in IT & Networking and was working in this area until i was laid off

I have to go in on Tuesday to register and pay my fee which comes to about 2,500 euro for 5 differant modules. What i want to know is do i have to pay all of this fee since i am on social welfare. I simply dont have it.

Am i entitled to a grant or will they leave me on Jobseekers? I am also in receipt of Mortgage relief and am currently everyday looking for a job and will continue to do so while i am studying. I tried looking at the BETA form but it seems to stress that you have to be a full time day student and this course is completly the opposite

Can anybody tell me what to do?

As this is a part time course you are not entitled to a Grant or BTEA - they are only for full time courses. However this does mean that you can stay on JSA and Mortgage allowance

Firstly the good news is that you can get a 20% tax refund of your tuition fees from the revenue commissioners - once you pay them - you should check this out because this refund is through tax so it would be paid to an employee - so if for example your parent paid the €2500 then they can claim the the €500 Eur back

Secondly in terms of financial options to actually pay the fees it's quite limited

The following suggestions may be of use

St Vincent dePaul - just ask them for help
    Credit Union Loan
    A small grant from a local partnership organisation (e.g. Bray Partnership or Fingal Leader Partnership - May or may not be a possibility)
    Talk to your local Community Welfare Officer - see if there is any help he/she can provide given your ineligibility for BTEA - I don't know if they can do anything but it's worth a shot

Thirdly - Have you definitely decided that you want to do the DIT law course

There are other options of free courses offered under the labour market activation programme

http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=249&Itemid=164

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement