Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Education - Want To Become A Doctor!

Options
  • 04-09-2010 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I am currently studying a business related subject, and am finished half of the course, but recently I have decided that I would like to study to become a doctor. I intend to complete my current degree, so I was wondering, how would I go about entering a course to become a doctor?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Hey El Diablo,
    Are you currently finishing a cert, a diploma or a degree as that can impact on your route of application. If it's a cert or diploma, when you finish, you can apply as a mature student once you're over 23, but you must sit the HPAT, and you'll only be applicable for undergraduate entry. If you have comparable points in the leaving cert (ie over 480) and suitable maltriculation subjects (usually a c in a science subject and/or maths at higher level) you'll also be considered in later rounds with all the other leaving cert applicants.
    If it's a degree and you finish with a 2:2 or below, the application is the same as above, if you get a 2:1 or above, you can also sit the GAMSAT, which allows you a chance to apply to the four year grad med courses.
    If you have a degree or Level 8 qualification, you're liable for fees. Undergraduate fees this year were between 9500 and 14,950 per year not includeing student union fees, books etc. Fees vary widely from college to college, and tend to go only upwards, so you'll need to take into account thats for 5/6 years. Grad med fees are between 15,000 and 19,000 a year i think, (you'd be better off checking there) but it is easier to get a loan to cover them than it is for undergrad fees.
    Hope that helps :)

Advertisement