Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ratoath as a place to live? What estates?

Options
  • 04-09-2010 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi All

My wife and I are currently considering moving to Ratoath (renting initially with a view to buying, if we like it) and would really appreciate some local opinions on the village. What's it like as a place to live, how are local facilities (sporting, social etc), how are schools, would you recommend it as a place to live etc?!!

If so, what estates would you recommend we consider? We're hoping to rent a 3/4-bed (as opposed to an apartment).... We've taken a drive around and liked parts of the Steeplechase development, Meadowbank and Fox Lodge Woods; but would appreciate any comments people have!!

We both work in Dublin - I'm at Spencer Dock, so the train from M3 Parkway is ideal. As a matter of interest, how is traffic on the Fairyhouse Road? My wife's a midwife in the Coombe, so her hours are either side of peak times. I'm assuming 30-40 mins is the likely trip (starting at 7.30am, finishing at 8.30pm)?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ed :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I've been renting in Ratoath for the last year now. You are dead right to consider renting in the area before buying especially the way things are at the moment.

I think a Gaelscoil opened recently in the area. Although it was disappointing to see another load of prefabs added to the one of the primary schools this year.
    See other thread in the Meath forum about the Gaelscoil.

The town itself has all the basics you'd expect from a commuter village. While Ashbourne 5 minute spin away has most of everything else.

The community centre in the village seems to be very well run.

A recent allotment scheme has also opened in the area: check out
    http://www.growingtogether.ie/

No complaints with any of the restaurants or cafes we've been in either, although haven't called in everywhere yet.

Sportswise there's the standard GAA club (I think they're Junior) and soccer club. I'm sure there are others.

As an aside: be wary of the house prices if you are considering buying. Between Ashbourne, Ratoath and Dunshaughlin, they seem to be lagging behind the rest of the country in terms of price corrections.

PS. Hard luck in the hurling ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cillchainnigh

Hi Dubh Geannain

Thanks for the response and for the condolences re Sunday :)!

After spending 12 months renting in Ratoath, what're you're feelings? Any regrets? Happy you decided on it? Would you buy?!!

Thanks

Ed

Well I'm happy cos I only work 2 miles down the road. I always try to live close to where I work. The gf is only a 15 minute drive to work also.

Quite happy with Ratoath itself though as there is more of a community feel around the place compared to other places I've lived in Dublin, Meath and Kildare.

I wouldn't buy in Ratoath at the moment for two main reasons:
    1. It's way too overpriced.
    2. We'd like to live a little further west/south eventually. ;)

But I do know a couple of families living in the area at this stage and they're quite happy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Meadowbank is a nice estate as is Fairyhouse Lodge and Clonkeen. Not really too familiar with the newer estates. But it shouldn't be a problem renting in Steeplechase as supposedly a number of residents bought a property there before the recession and some of them have remained empty. I think there's a playground in Steeplechase as well if you have young children.

With regards to sporting facilities, the GAA club is located on the Dunshaughlin Road near Steeplechase. It's got a bar and function room and is (I think) the largest GAA club in Meath despite the adult football and hurling teams only playing Junior. We could do with a decent Kilkenny hurler though as we've lost 2 or 3 hurling finals in the last few years ;)
    Ratoath Harps are located on the Skryne Road also across the road from Steeplechase (they've a pitch in the estate as well). There's also a decent astro turf pitch to rent. http://www.ratoathharps.com/
    There's a Rugby Club on the Curraha road that started up 4 or 5 years ago and, as far as I know, they have teams at all underage levels as well as a few adult teams. http://www.ratoathrugby.ie/
    There's also a pitch and putt club located next to the soccer club and a tennis club next to the secondary school. A BMX track is due to be built soon on the Fairyhouse road at the end of Glascarn lane. There's also several other clubs and a Scout troop in Ratoath.
    Ashbourne isn't that far away so anything you don't find in ratoath, you'll probably find in Ashbourne. The Blanchardstown Centre is a 15 minute drive away too.

There's a few nice restaurants in the village (La Bucca and the Olive Garden being my favourite) as well as several nice Asian restaurants and takeaways. The new community centre also has a bistro and has loads of events held in it, from concerts to comedy shows.

As far as I know there's 3 primary schools in Ratoath. The main one on the Fairyhouse Road is split into a Junior and Senior school. There's a hell of a lot of pupils in it at the moment (think it was around a 900/1000 a few years ago anyway) and as Dubh said, even though it was only extended recently, more prefabs have gone up.
    St. Pauls is on the relief road near Meadowbank/Jamestown but it's all prefabs as far as I know. The Gaelscoil was opened last month and only has Junior infants at the moment. It's in the community centre.
    The secondary school is on the relief road too. There's also secondary schools in Ashbourne, Dunshaughlin and Dunboyne.

As you said, for yourself, the new train is ideal and the parking is free. Traffic on the Fairyhouse Road doesn't really get heavy until around 8:30am and doesn't really get too heavy in the evenings. So if your wife is leaving early, the traffic would probably be very light.

Overall, it's a decent place to live and I've lived here all my life. Because of the huge increase in population recently there's obviously been an increase in antisocial behaviour (but our local councillor dishes out his own vigilante justice at times :Dhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmIf1MARvWU) but nothing major.
    Hope this helped. I'm going mostly on my own local knowledge so I mightn't be 100% correct on some bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Faddymackshyte

I find the N3 gets busier than the N2, especially around the m50, what with the roadworks and all. But that will die down eventually!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I find the N3 gets busier than the N2, especially around the m50, what with the roadworks and all. But that will die down eventually!!

It has already died down - the junction is finished.

Decide to make the move anyhow! Ratoath, here we come :)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭EmerBaggott

Hi, My husband & I are also considering relocated from Dublin to Ratoath...But as my husband works in city c+at peak times he'd generally use public transport. There is a train service from Ratoath is there, did someone mention that? & this goes into Dub city c, ya? Thanks a mill ;)

There is a new train service from the new M3 Parkway station which is just north of Duboyne since early September. It's about 8-10 mins drive from Ratoath and has a huge free park-and-ride carpark. Trains take <35 mins and run into Docklands Station (far end of the IFSC) during the week. They run to Connolly at weekends. Alternatively, there are regular Bus Eireeann bus services - but feedback on these doesn't seem to be great!

I'll leave it to a "local" to tell you more :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭rod flanders

My friend lives in the Milltree Estate and loves it. Houses are about 4 years old and its beside the school and rugby pitch.

• Advertisement

This story re-enforces my opinion about sellers in Ratoath/Ashbourne being in denial about realistic house prices:

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/property-plus/house-prices/price-guide-meath-2342356.html
    Activity levels vary considerably with estate agents in Bettystown, Ashbourne and Ratoath reporting less activity since April, while agents in Navan and Enfield report an increase.

This was further underlined by estimates of time to get a sale agreed, ranging from eight to 20 weeks in most areas, but up to a year in Bettystown and Ratoath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Sorry to bump an old thread but was just wondering how long it would take to commute by car from Ratoath to be at work in the mornings in the Finglas/Cabra/Phibsboro areas for 9am? Have heard bad reports about the traffic around the Ratoath area.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

From Ratoath to Finglas village is about 20
    mins, usually no traffic really, after the village and at Glasnevin it'll get a little heavy around that time, I'd say 40 min from Ratoath to Phibsboro would be plenty

edit: just noticed you said bad traffic in Ratoath area, leaving the village and Jamestown Rd towards the N2 can get alittle busy but Ratoath in general isn't too bad, alot less traffic than a few years ago

IPAM wrote: »
    From Ratoath to Finglas village is about 20
    mins, usually no traffic really, after the village and at Glasnevin it'll get a little heavy around that time, I'd say 40 min from Ratoath to Phibsboro would be plenty

edit: just noticed you said bad traffic in Ratoath area, leaving the village and Jamestown Rd towards the N2 can get alittle busy but Ratoath in general isn't too bad, alot less traffic than a few years ago

Thanks a million. Would you have any idea of the quickest route to take at that time of morning? Thanks again.

Where abouts are ya headin?

Edit: no idea why there's a winky emoticon at the top of my post /confuzzled

IPAM wrote: »
    Where abouts are ya headin?

Edit: no idea why there's a winky emoticon at the top of my post /confuzzled

Sorry between Ratoath and Finglas say?

Head out the Ashbourne Rd. R125 I think it's called, onto the new N2, under the M50, past Joe Duffy BMW garage on your left, come to a roundabout(Lidl on the left), straight through it, if your going into Finglas village take the slip road after tht roundabout, if your heading on to Glasnevin, Phibsboro, town etc just keep going straight. Like I said, about 20 mins from Ratoath to Finglas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 shelleyd

Hi Cillchainnigh,

I am just wondering if you moved to Ratoath, my Husband and I are thinking of moving there soon, we are in our sixties and hopeing to downsize to a 2 bed apt in Millview, just of the Fairyhouse Rd. Could you please give me your opinion of Ratoath. Thankyou :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 lmf

I know this is an old thread but worth a shot! Looking to buy a house in Ratoath. I was wondering how old are the houses in the Clonkeen & Seagrave estates, approx BER? Some lovely houses there but if older they are probably drafty ;-)

lmf wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread but worth a shot! Looking to buy a house in Ratoath. I was wondering how old are the houses in the Clonkeen & Seagrave estates, approx BER? Some lovely houses there but if older they are probably drafty ;-)

I wouldn't have an exact year but I'd say about twenty years old or there abouts, maybe a little less. Can't imagine they're drafty. I don't live in Clonkeen but have spent time in a few of the houses and they are really nice and look like they were built to a very high standard

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

If memory serves me, Clonkeen was built in the late 1990s after Fairyhouse Lodge and around the same time as Meadowbank and the Old Mill. Seagrave I think was built in the early to mid 2000s I think.
    No idea of the BER.

Advertisement