Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

anyone notice all the chuggers in Galway yesterday?

• 04-09-2010 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭

There seemed to be an unusually large amount of 'em around the city yesterday.
    anybody know what that was about?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

The ones around the magic roundabout do you mean?

I never give money to chuggers but I CERTAINLY never give money to people walking around in traffic. That **** should be illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Xiney wrote: »

I never give money to chuggers but I CERTAINLY never give money to people walking around in traffic. That **** should be illegal.

An interesting vacancy on the FAS website: https://jobbank.fas.ie/servlet/Watis?SESS=13462_5&SERVICE=CRITERIUMBROWSE&TEMPLATE=WWW_JS_VAC_CRITERIUM_BROWSE.HTM&ROW=130&BACK=TEMPLATE%3DWWW_JS_VAC_CRITERIUM_OVERVIEW.HTM
    Duties to include doing bucket collections, house collections, and collections in shopping centres, and traffic lights nationwide, in aid of Heart /Children /Ireland. This position is for 9/10/11/16/17/18/19 September, 2010.

ugh.

Fact remains though - they wouldn't be at the traffic lights if people didn't give them money. I disagree with chugging and so I will not support it. In fact, when I choose to donate to charity I even tend to avoid charities with the most visible chugging presence, because they do my freakin' head in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

seriously, is there not a MAJOR health and safety issue with collectors on roads, at traffic lights???:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Should not be allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Xiney wrote: »

It is, and they were all over town, not just in terryland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭trish23

doolox wrote: »
    Should not be allowed.

Noticed in Dunnes Knocknacarra the other day - they had 'collection free' tills for those that didn't want to donate to whichever bag packers were on duty that day. Fair play but they probably had customer complaints that led them to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

trish23 wrote: »
    Noticed in Dunnes Knocknacarra the other day - they had 'collection free' tills for those that didn't want to donate to whichever bag packers were on duty that day. Fair play but they probably had customer complaints that led them to do this.

At least you have a choice. Good to hear this. It's not just the whole "in-yer-face" method of having to akwardly stand beside some-one while they pack your bags without giving you the option of doing it yourself, but I'm fussy about the way I pack my shopping. I don't want fire-lighters on top of my fruit thanks!

Also even weight distribution packing my groceries is like a game of tetris to me! and there's the lack of privacy, the embarrassment when a young lad picks up my box of tampons...cringe!!!:o

Having said all that if it's kids I'll always throw them a euro or something

I generally tell the bag packers "no thanks"

that is, when I'm not shopping at Lidl or Aldi. And when I actually remember to bring bags. so not that often actually...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭thefeatheredcat

trish23 wrote: »

maybe they should be making this compulsory! edward square dunnes this afternoon had 'bag packers' on every one of them except for the quick check outs at the entrance (no space). There's been too many of them in there lately.

But I tend to be one of these people who packs some of my groceries in my over the chest bag which I wear on me when packing my stuff and always say 'no thanks' to the offer of packing my bags. I've grocery shopped with my dad since a baby (and still do when I visit), I know how to pack bags better than anyone for a big grocery shop and refuse to let anyone touch my personal bag for items. Using on the back bags is usually for the heavy items and I'd like to see some bag packer try and figure out how to pack 3 litres of orange juice, 3 litres of milk, a 2 litre bottle of cola, bag a sugar (all one bag for my back which has to be balanced and even and so it doesn't open when I walk) and then separately all my veggies and fruits including squashable items like tomatoes and my other dairy products. They'd fling all the veggies to bottom one bag and throw all the heavy stuff on top.

If i have any spare change (on a budget) I might drop a couple of quid in, especially for a local charity, otherwise I'm happy to be given the evil eye. I've done my fair share of generous donations to both national and local charities alike since I first started earning a wage for myself, but getting harassed by chuggers on the street everyday and often feeling obligated/guilted in the past to stump up in the supermarket (which is horrible if you're off form/lacking confidence or shy/intimidated/in a bad place in life) and dirty underhanded 'sales tactics' leave me not wanting to support them financially anymore. If you want my charity, I'll help you in other ways that are not monetary related.

It's time all the charities start realising that there are a lot of people of out work, people give what they can if they can, but nobody should feel directly targeted or berated for not giving when they actually can't. I personally have been given horrible looks/comments from so-called 'charity collectors' (and I don't mean the dodgy ones) in the past for not giving and that is not on. There are still some worthwhile causes to support that I do support which are typically the ones not so in your face and abusive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement