Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW k1200lt not responding

• 04-09-2010 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Was riding a bmw k1200lt last week. I found it slow to take off in first gear and especially on a hill start. Then when in 5th gear at 60mph or so if one gives it extreme trottle it revs high but does not kick off, kind of like a bad automatic car. Is there a built in safety system to prevent wheel spin.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

when was the last time it was serviced?
    could be a number of things,air filter blocked,fuel filter blocked,spark plugs fouled,clearances,best thing is to start with a service(if it hasn't been done recently)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sral1

Was serviced 1 1/2 years ago or so but has only doneless that 3k since that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭judas1369

Check your clutch adjustment, although if its been laying up the clutch friction plate could be sticking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

judas1369 wrote: »
    Check your clutch adjustment, although if its been laying up the clutch friction plate could be sticking.

indeed. K's are sensitive to clutch adjustment, and being a single-plate (car) type, don't take much to be out, and worse, have little tolerance for abuse/slipping.

You weren't liberal with WD40 or anything, prior to re-using it, that might have found it's way on to the clutch plate......?

Don't keep riding it like that until you fix it. Removing the gearbox (behind the engine, ahead of the swingarm, is not a job for the light-hearted.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Thank you, will follow up on the clutch situation, bike is for sale but will hold of on purchase till this is looked at.:)
    galwaytt wrote: »
    indeed. K's are sensitive to clutch adjustment, and being a single-plate (car) type, don't take much to be out, and worse, have little tolerance for abuse/slipping.

You weren't liberal with WD40 or anything, prior to re-using it, that might have found it's way on to the clutch plate......?

Don't keep riding it like that until you fix it. Removing the gearbox (behind the engine, ahead of the swingarm, is not a job for the light-hearted.

• Advertisement

Looks like this bike might need a new clutch. Anyone know what the cost of this would be and is it likely to be a future problem with the k1200lt. Thanks in advance:(

Sorry to hear that but thought as much. The cost of the parts is not mad money, check this out for example-
    http://www.motorworks.co.uk/bmw/products/product.php?f=i&code=BA_15_45_CA_30&shnew=New&model=K1200RS%2FGT%2FLT+%28flat+four%29&shnewcode=15&part=Clutch+and+actuation&sub_part=Clutch&modelcode=45&partcode=CA&source_code=BA_15_45_CA_30&header_text=&header_text_image=0
    But the labour costs will be fairly high as it is a labour intensive operation to get to the clutch itself.
    As galwaytt said its not a job for the light hearted, but that said if your handy with the spanners its not insurmountable. Figure on about 3-4 hours to actually get to the clutch and the same again to reassemble the bike in addition to the rebuild.
    If you want to try this yourself, PM me and I can send you all the info you will need to tackle it. Either way best of luck!

well, I know a guy who paid the official dealer to do a clutch on an RT, so similar labour - bill came to 1500.......:eek:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

judas1369 wrote: »
    ...said if your handy with the spanners its not insurmountable. Figure on about 3-4 hours to actually get to the clutch and the same again to reassemble the bike in addition to the rebuild.
    If you want to try this yourself, PM me and I can send you all the info you will need to tackle it. Either way best of luck!

LOL, 'handy' with the spanners, 3 hours ! !..........may I present...........an RT clutch change........! (and it has a lot less plastic than a KLT ! )

127393.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

Glad I could provide you with some amusement! I did say 3 -4 hours each way in addition to doing the actual procedure. I based that on the time it has taken me to do clutch replacements on the K100rs and K100lt, admittedly less plastics than a K1200lt but the process is similar nonetheless. Oh and having done an R1150 they are about the same in terms of time to get at the clutch. To quote your good self, its not a job for the light-hearted! I agree that it is a very expensive job if left into an official dealer but there are other reputable shops that can do this for a fair bit less if the OP shops around.

• Advertisement

I agree: the point I'm making is that a K12LT is not the bike you want to learn it on.

Well, not your own, at any rate..........;) :p:p

Ode To The Motorist

Will be getting the job done along with a full sevice. Got a reasonable pre-job quote but will let you know the final outcome when finished. ( not in a panic bike is laid up in heated shed.:cool:
    well, I know a guy who paid the official dealer to do a clutch on an RT, so similar labour - bill came to 1500.......:eek:

sral1 wrote: »
    Will be getting the job done along with a full sevice. Got a reasonable pre-job quote but will let you know the final outcome when finished. ( not in a panic bike is laid up in heated shed.:cool:

...do let us know the final bill...........be interesting to see if the Celtic Tiger factor is still at work......

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

...do let us know the final bill...........be interesting to see if the Celtic Tiger factor is still at work......

I love that picture - I've sent it to several BMW-owning friends with 'Ha ha - look whats waiting for you!' as the subject.

The Celtic tiger is dying a slow death but is still thriving in the motorbike repair business.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

A pictures tells a thousand words. lmfao

Advertisement