Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

City vs City 1: Dublin vs London

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

RobitTV wrote: »
    I Can read his mind He obviously meant that to be a bad thing!

Only a racist would infer racism from that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Now im staying on the subject from now on! and not gonna Read The Racist posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Alright, enough of the flaming.

Any more and we are done here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

As you may know Nearly all the people In dublin live on Knacker farms And your probaly one of them!

Oh the Irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Now im staying on the subject from now on! and not gonna Read The Racist posts

You seem to have an intermittent capslock problem there.
    Cheap Asian keyboard perhaps?

Alright, enough of the flaming.

Any more and we are done here.

Micky can you Please take a look at the Disgraceful and Racist comments some of these people have been Posting! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Please don't question a Mod instruction on thread, it only derails the thread. If you wish to communicate with any mod, please PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Both are shitholes.. I guess there's more to do in London but I think it's just as nasty as any other large city
    Bit harsh there URL. You seriously think London is a shíthole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Micky can you Please take a look at the Disgraceful and Racist comments some of these people have been Posting! :(

They weren't racist, they may have been racially motivated jokes though. This thread is motivated by your need to stir shit, along with many of your other posts and threads.

You seem to hate Ireland to such an extent that instead of leaving it you're compelled to stay and let everyone else know how bad you think it is.
    Aidric wrote: »

Not especially compared to any other city.. I'm just not a fan of cities tbh :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

London is very similar to Dublin in many areas. The only real difference to me is that London is bigger. In fact on these islands they are the two most similar cities.

At least they are commercial cities. You want to see ****holes then think Birmingham, Belfast, Glasgow and Manchester etc - the former Industrial cities. All far worse then either London or Dublin especially asthetically.

London does win this poll for me though. But Dublin is also a very nice city but in a kind of "under development" sense. It has an awful lot of potential once the big projects are finished. It also has lovely Georgian thoroughfares aswell - very much like London.

It supprises me how Irish people under rate Dublin but visitors generally seem to like it very much.

They weren't racist, they may have been racially motivated jokes though. This thread is motivated by your need to stir shit, along with many of your other posts and threads.

You seem to hate Ireland to such an extent that instead of leaving it you're compelled to stay and let everyone else know how bad you think it is.

:mad::confused::mad::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Id take jackeens over wideboyz anyday. More stuff to do in London and its more metropolitan, but not the friendliest of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Never been to London, i heard it has black people.
    The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. And the Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. So say it once and say it loud, I'm black and I'm proud.

You must be from the southside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I like Dublin...but so much of it is **** and even the good parts aren't that great. And the public transport in London is incredible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

How can anyone possibly vote for Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

greetings wrote: »
    How can anyone possibly vote for Dublin?

Maybe they've never been to London.

I'm a Dubliner; I've lived in Dublin all of my life (apart for a two year stint in London). I like Dublin, but seriously, it's apples and oranges. London is by far the better city on pretty much any metric.
    Its unfair to try and compare them really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Dublin is more of a big town than a city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

might have to move to London soon, I do like it there though. It's not on the sea like Dublin and you can't go to Howth or Killiney or to the beach or go fishing on boats etc like you can do here. We all know culchies hate Dublin and there's a lot of self-loathing Dubs too but I think Dublin is a great friendly city and if I do go to London I'd definitely rather grow old here, eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

darkman2 wrote: »
    London is very similar to Dublin in many areas. The only real difference to me is that London is bigger. In fact on these islands they are the two most similar cities..

lol dublin and london are not similiar at all, had you said dublin and cork maybe but dublin and london :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭babyfratelli_x

London definately. Only been once, but loved it and would live there rather than Dublin any day.

Obviously there are nice and not so nice parts in both, but London has class transport system and so much more to do and see. love it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Monday to Friday London wins hands down. Saturday and Sunday, Dublin wins.

For me London is a brilliant place to work, Dublin is a brilliant place to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

And the public transport in London is incredible

....except at the weekends when a lot of the Tube shuts down for 'upgrades'.

At least the Rail Replacement buses tend to be quite frequent though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

London is one of the worlds great cities, like NY or Paris and a fantastic place to visit and a place you could spent umpteen years getting to know. It's also the type of place you could get lost in anonymity if that's your thing.
    But I think Dublin would have a more homely feel to it, probably directly because of its size, if I had to bring up a family in one I'd probably pick Dublin for that reason

Edit : I'm talking south of the Liffey of course.... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Dublin, of course. London, like New York, is full of sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I like London but would never dream of living there. Far too inhospitable.

Dublin is a class city and is as good and nice a city as you will find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

mikom wrote: »
    Invalid poll.......... Dublin is not a city in the true sense of the word.

Really? What is it then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Dublin - it's Irish and it's where I live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hamchops

dublin is a much cleaner city than london by far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Amsterdam and San Francisco are great cities.. there's a completely different vibe in those places than in Dublin, or London, or most other major cities. They seem more like large villages imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

orourkeda wrote: »
    Dublin is a class city and is as good and nice a city as you will find.
    I take it you haven't traveled much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

London for me, it is without doubt my favourite city.

Fantastic architecture, I never tire of flying into Heathrow particularly if you are lucky enough to fly in from the City and over Kensington into Heathrow. Love it when the clocks go back and its just getting dark as you are flying in, fantastic!!

Pubs: Pubs are definitely better in London and of course have a great selection of proper beer, one thing that bugs me about pubs here is lack of choice. I also thing the atmosphere is better.

Think people are friendlier and certainly more polite in London, politeness very obvious in using public transport, people let people off the tube first and don't try and barge on unlike using the commuter services here in the morning. People thank you when you hold the door open for them, it just doesn't seem to happen here anymore.

Public transport obviously is better.

London has a lot more hidden streets with genuinely brilliant little coffee shops and gems of small shops if you are a tourist in London, give the public transport a miss and just get lost in the city.

Shops: No contest London wins hands down for shops and even the most expensive shops in London can be cheaper than here. Again you have places like Covent Garden with small independent shops and great street entertainment.

London would have to win for parks also.

And of course London has the best football team Arsenal :)

London just has a really mystical feel to it.

To be honest I think it is unfair to compare London and Dublin, while they are similar in ways, as someone pointed out London is one of the great Cities so the comparison is unfair imo.

Dublin is still a fantastic city, its small size makes it very easy to navigate and of course you are basically right beside the sea, Grafton street is still a fantastic street, hope it stays this way, Dublin is not a bad looking city either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Comparing a city of 1 million or so to one with 8 million is a bit pointless to be honest..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

London is amazing. Great place, the only issue I would have about it is you need lots and lots of money to get a place that has any space. Otherwise you are on top of each other with no outdoor space. Dublin is cleaner, friendlier and safer, I couldn't live far away from the sea I am afraid, so it's Dublin for me, also the proximity of Dublin to other parts of Ireland is a charm, two hours to Sligo, not far from Belfast etc... just back from a weekend in Lahinch myself, getting back was fine with the new motorway and Dublin traffic is so light compared to London suburban and city traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

I moved from london to dublin
    coz it is easier being irish in dublin
    than it is in london:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

moonpurple wrote: »
    I moved from london to dublin
    coz it is easier being irish in dublin
    than it is in london:pac:

Is there a difference?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

The London Underground map is better than Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Biggins wrote: »
    Bigger question: was this thread really going to end well? :o
    Ends well for the self-loathing, self deprecating, grass is greener brigade, of which there is no shortage.

It always amuses me how OTT people can get in these stupid poll threads, coke/heinz ketchup/dublin is UTTER SHITE, how can anybody stand it!!!! pepsi/chef/london is FAR superior and you are a complete gobshite if you do not agree.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    London is amazing. Great place, the only issue I would have about it is you need lots and lots of money to get a place that has any space. Otherwise you are on top of each other with no outdoor space. Dublin is cleaner, friendlier and safer, I couldn't live far away from the sea I am afraid, so it's Dublin for me, also the proximity of Dublin to other parts of Ireland is a charm, two hours to Sligo, not far from Belfast etc... just back from a weekend in Lahinch myself, getting back was fine with the new motorway and Dublin traffic is so light compared to London suburban and city traffic.

Its not too far to Brighton to be honest. If you lived in Tallaght or Blanch the journey to a nice bit of seaside wouldn't be hugely less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Dublin is more of a big town than a city.

I don't get people with this mentality. Obviously it's nowhere near on the scale of Moscow or London but it still covers a large area and has a larger population than Liverpool, Manchester, Lyon, Zurich, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Oslo, Copenhagen, etc. (And that's just taking in the city centre population, not the urban or metropolitan populations).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

I've been lots of places but I prefer Dublin to any place. Obviously I'm biased because I live there but theres nothing to make me miss home than going to a better place. Eventually I figure that the devil I know is better than the devil I don't.

Londons ok but its not the kind of place I'd like to raise my kids

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

I chose london simply because i like it, theres alot more in it and i've never really been to dublin only once and i can't remember it. London also has the better weather. Love the accent as well can't stick the dublin accent its awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

Aidric wrote: »

totally. Absolutely. Too much traffic, stale air ( jesus), and you know you can do the museums in a few days, then you are done. Its nowhere near as pretty as Paris, or Prague. It has no hills, not one. Occasional great architecture stands cheek by jowl with seventies monstrosities.

The Tube is better. Thats it. Even then at rush hour, it's lemming time. What I like about Dublin when I lived there was Howth, Kiliney, the Beaches, the Dart south. The Wicklow mountains. Lots of cities have more - Vancouver for instance, but London is just flat and monotonous.

I work in London 2-3 days a week. Will never ever live there.

EDIT: and most people who live there want to leave, and prefer where they com form. Of course most people you meet in London are not from London, but even the occasional Londoners, maybe especially them - judging by Taxi Drivers - want to leave. The Cotswolds or Cornwall beckons.

I don't get people with this mentality. Obviously it's nowhere near on the scale of Moscow or London but it still covers a large area and has a larger population than Liverpool, Manchester, Lyon, Zurich, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Oslo, Copenhagen, etc. (And that's just taking in the city centre population, not the urban or metropolitan populations).

Yeah, it would be tenth largest in the US, and in the top 5 ( I believe) in Germany.

The maximum size city I would live in would be 1 million. Per capita that is all you need to have good pubs etc.

As for shopping. We have the internet. The worst four hours of my life was following my missus around a crowded Oxford street in mid August Sun, into sweaty shops with no air-conditioning. The city is breezeless.

Its not too far to Brighton to be honest. If you lived in Tallaght or Blanch the journey to a nice bit of seaside wouldn't be hugely less.

If you live in Raheny, Howth, CLontarf theres a beach, or Cliffs right there. Brighton is packed, as you would expect from a place with a city of 8-10 Million people breathing down it's neck, but on the beach. Think Bray on a Summers day with thousands more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Your not talking about british people or irish! Your talking about black people And your being Very racist And your doing it on Purpose either because your bored or your extremly Racist To all black people.

You're.

• Advertisement

totally. Absolutely. Too much traffic, stale air ( jesus), and you know you can do the museums in a few days, then you are done. Its nowhere near as pretty as Paris, or Prague. It has no hills, not one. Occasional great architecture stands cheek by jowl with seventies monstrosities.

The Tube is better. Thats it. Even then at rush hour, it's lemming time. What I like about Dublin when I lived there was Howth, Kiliney, the Beaches, the Dart south. The Wicklow mountains. Lots of cities have more - Vancouver for instance, but London is just flat and monotonous.

I work in London 2-3 days a week. Will never ever live there.

EDIT: and most people who live there want to leave, and prefer where they com form. Of course most people you meet in London are not from London, but even the occasional Londoners, maybe especially them - judging by Taxi Drivers - want to leave. The Cotswolds or Cornwall beckons.

You obviously don't use the Dublin commuter trains, even worse and then the gap between trains can be 30 mins peak if you are lucky. A tube train pulls out another one pulls in, mistake people make is to take the first tube, once you get to know the tube and where the exits are at tube stations you can judge which carriages are going to have less people in them, and of course they are a lot more polite than commuters here.

Most people I meet in London are Londoners and those who are not I talk to love the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

If London had less Gheys it would be unreal

Yeah, it would be tenth largest in the US, and in the top 5 ( I believe) in Germany.

The maximum size city I would live in would be 1 million. Per capita that is all you need to have good pubs etc.

As for shopping. We have the internet. The worst four hours of my life was following my missus around a crowded Oxford street in mid August Sun, into sweaty shops with no air-conditioning. The city is breezeless.

You have never been to Selfreidges then, ever thought of avoiding Oxford street and taking the side streets to avoid the most congested areas. Have you shopped in O'Connell street on a saturday or tried to walk down Grafton street?

Eh Dublin is smaller than Manchester, Lyon, Copenhagen or Oslo :confused:. Sure Greater Manchester has a bigger population than the whole of Ireland put together ..
    If you live in Raheny, Howth, CLontarf theres a beach, or Cliffs right there. Brighton is packed, as you would expect from a place with a city of 8-10 Million people breathing down it's neck, but on the beach. Think Bray on a Summers day with thousands more.

Which are also only a tiny part of Dublin. Only a very small percentage of Dubliners live right beside a beach. Getting from West Dublin to the coast isn't the easiest of trips unless you have a car. All the Dublin seaside areas like Sandycove and Dun Laoghaire are just as mobbed as Brighton is on a summers day by the way..

OPENROAD wrote: »
    You obviously don't use the Dublin commuter trains, even worse and then the gap between trains can be 30 mins peak if you are lucky. A tube train pulls out another one pulls in, mistake people make is to take the first tube, once you get to know the tube and where the exits are at tube stations you can judge which carriages are going to have less people in them, and of course they are a lot more polite than commuters here.

Most people I meet in London are Londoners and those who are not I talk to love the place

Absolutely nobody I have met in London wants to stay. I meet people who commute, sometimes during the week, from Derby. If from Edinburgh, or Glasgow they want to go back there. It may be fun for a 22 year old, ( although why it would be better fun than Cork, or Galway for that age group is hard to say) but I am in my 30's now and I dont see the advantage of getting up 2 hours before work to get on the train from watford, to go to work, to head home afterwards for another two hours. That is not my life, but it is the life of many people I work with ( when I am there I stay local to where I work).

I go out there, pubs are pubs, restaurants are restaurants; except the centre of London is packed always.

Bristol is fun. Oxford. York. Glasgow. NewCastle.

Mega-cities suck, except for the very rich.

• Advertisement
Advertisement