Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauparc Copper Mine

Options
  • 04-09-2010 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

How's it going? Anyone know of any online source of info on the Beauparc copper deposit and mining? Google throws up stuff about Francis Ledwidge and his time there but nothing about how big it was, depth, how long it was mined etc. Just thought someone local might know.....

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Lumabex

JK been awhile since you raised the issue of Beauparc mines. Now, I know as much as yourself, and I am a very very new contributor to this forum but even a little info can help, you might decide to go looking again. Like yourself, I have an interest......

Yes, the Ledwidge connection seems to have priority on the net.

The mines had two problems, I believe. One was proximity to the Boyne and there was constant flooding and emergency over the years. Little enough, I also understand, was returned to the "site" in terms of development, safety etc., but bear in mind I'm working fortieth hand and 100 years on.

Have a look at the net again. I found a report done on the area in the 1960s, prior to the advent of Tara and Bula, showing findings which had been unknown. My Uncle from Navan told me that there was great talk around Navan at that time that the mines would re open and further fortunes would be made. He also remembered that when the mines were open ( he would have been told ) there was very good money - people went to work, which was scarce, earned good money and just stuck at it.

Two final things - the mouth of the shaft can still be seen, it is on private property but a decent man has allowed me to see same, just a hill now, every rubbish possible was dumped in it, cars, beds etc etc. Final final, when the mines collapsed for the final, ha, time, the last man taken out was an Uncle of my Fathers. He had a withered arm thereafter and worked as weighmaster in Navan. Thats as much as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ali McG

jkforde and Lumabex its been a long time since you both posted about Beauparc Copper Mines. I'm from Beauparc, beside the mine site. Copy this link (google docs - put https:// before it) and paste into browser. It's a chapter from Navan Its People and Its Past, V3 about the mines docs.google.com/document/d/1nIXbt78GG1a5vm-mdJhCNDaWXYxKpyZ9IEuYpWYO24Q/edit?usp=sharing

I'd have to read through it again but I don't think it gives info on distance it travelled.

Post edited by Ali McG on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

thanks a lot to both of ye, I actually forgot I wrote this post until I checked my profile just there (I must check my boards notification settings!). I was asking as my wife is from Navan and her father mentioned it in passing at that time. Looking forward to reading the article later!

Thanks again 🙂

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Advertisement