Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metalworking

• 04-09-2010 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

look for a few sheets of metal, and a tap/die to work on a little bespoke item I'm trying to build.. Tried Woody's and B&Q today and neither had what I was looking for.. anybody have any ideas, beside buying online of course..

thanks..

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

try your local hire centre for taps and dies,local co op`s stock steel down here anything like that near you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

sorry, what do you mean by local hire... do you mean tool hire? I'm new to this so I'm not familiar with the terms.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

sorry, what do you mean by local hire... do you mean tool hire? I'm new to this so I'm not familiar with the terms.
    yea tool hire would be a good place to start,if they don't have any they should be able to suggest where to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

There's a guy in Sligo that will have them. WEB engineering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hell Toupee

You'll get your taps and dies in TED (Tooling and Engineering Distributors) in Ballymount for a good price and your sheets in Heiton Buckleys just down from there.

• Advertisement

thanks lads...

In case it's of use to anybody else, I got a nice little set of taps in Bradshaws in Portlaoise...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

what size sheet and thickness are you looking for?

I want to make a number of items each of about 220mms x 120mms

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Spannerman7

PM Sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Should be a few small workshops around the portlaois area that would have plate and cut them for you.

Porweld Engineering
    Rath, Ballybrittas, Co. Laois
    Phone: (0502) 42933

Bergin Engineering
    Ballinakill Rd, Abbeyleix, Portlaoise, Co. Laois
    Phone: (0502) 31157

Hyland Engineering
    Cuffsboro Clough, Ballacolla, Co. Laois
    Phone: (0502) 38547

Advertisement