Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wind

• 04-09-2010 6:34pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Nope, not the type caused by too many beans in the chile, the type that blows you off the bike. Looking at tomorrows forecast, we're expecting 30kph in Wicklow, and I'm just wondering what type of wind speeds would make you change your planned route due to risk of injury. I'd planned on sally gap, blessington, wicklow gap and back tomorrow with my sister and another friend, but am considering taking a more sheltered route (long hill, laragh, rathdrum, vartry, enniskerry) instead, as while I'm heavy enough (85kg) and my bike is also pretty heavy, my sister is pretty light on a lighter bike.

What type of wind speeds would the seasoned cyclists here consider dangerous to a 60-65kg cyclist? And when would you alter the route or call off the spin altogether? I'm using met.ie for my forecast, and my current thinking is >30kph stick to lower ground, >40kph give it a miss altogether, but these are really just numbers pulled out of the air. Not bothered by rain, but lightening may also be a cause for concern.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

30kph isn't a lot on the forecast at all; it is quite normal and I have certainly cycled in a lot worse. It is just above a "moderate breeze" on the Beaufort scale! Would need to be gale warnings before it becomes an issue. 50km/h+ is tough. I might put off a spin at 60km/h+; I have cycled in that but it wasn't fun. Also in much of Wicklow the mountains will shield the wind so try to plot a route that has you going UP the hills into the wind direction and any flat bits with the wind at you back.

You are very unlikely to be struck by lightning anywhere, even more unlikely in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Just hope theres a slow moving tractor on the route you can hide behind and you'll be fine :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I was out in fierce wind with El Tonto last year.

We got to the Sally Gap crossroads and turned around. The turning around took about 4 attempts from me. Whenever I started to roll forward and attempt a clip-in, the wind would threaten to knock me off.

That was my limit, but conditions were pretty severe and it's not always like that even in the depths of winter.

Just steer clear of any unsheltered descents, I've had a few moments where gusting winds have tried to take my front wheel out from under me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

Trick with wind is to plan a route the first cycles into it. Save the downwind sailing for the way home.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

After all that the wind was ok, if anything the fog in the sally gap and wicklow gap were the only worry. Particularly the downhill on wicklow gap into laragh, though the hot coffee at the hippy cafe made it all worth while.
    Just hope theres a slow moving tractor on the route you can hide behind and you'll be fine

Was stuck behind a tractor after roundwood for a few K, throwing plenty of crap in my general direction. Felt like I'd been hit with a boards.ie gypsie curse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

serendip wrote: »
    Trick with wind is to plan a route the first cycles into it. Save the downwind sailing for the way home.

Totally agree... nothing worse than facing a long cycle home into the teeth of a gale.

This site gives a 3 hourly wind forecast for the next week (colours give wind strength)... very useful for planning a long cycle.

http://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-MSW-Surf-Charts/1/wind/in/

Advertisement