Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep. of Ireland v Andorra, Tue 7 September 2010 [RTE2: 7pm, KO: 7.45pm]

15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Once again the usual lack of goals from an Irish team, which will undoubtably come back to haunt us at a later stage.

Why undoubtedly? I'd love to know where this notion of Ireland suffering as a result of weak goal difference comes from. Yes we don't score too many goals but it's also worth noting that the last time it actually made any difference to us in terms of progression to a tournament was almost 30 years ago.

A win is a win and personally I'd be quite happy if Ireland managed to go thru the rest of this group picking up the required number o 1-0's and 0-0s and coming out on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

I didn't think the goals scored against the worst team counted for the playoffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

ColeTrain wrote: »
    1. Won the corner that Kilbane scored from with some nice peice of play.
    2. Played a lovely ball to Keane that he was ruled offside from, replay suggested it was 50/50.
    3. Set up Kilbane with a lovely flick
    4. Set up Keane with a beautiful passage from which he scored.
    5. Crossed the ball into Keane and Doyle which they both failed to run onto.
    6. Set Andy Keogh up for a great chance at the end.

That's just from the top of my head, I'm sure he contributed more than that but that's chances he directly helped make, not bad for a nights work. Not to mention it was his second game of the season, coming in the space of 5 days but don't let that get in the way of a good rant.

All valid points but he played against a gardner, a school teacher, etc. Let's see what he does against Russia and Slovakia. I hope he has a stormer, I just don't think he has the ability. In his defence, his problem with his crosses was always they were not clearing the first defender, now he is over hitting them, but that shows he os working on it and hopefully it will pay off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

It has to be said Robbie Keane is an ol'big head isn't he....the way he celebrated as if he scored against a top notch team:rolleyes: he never does it in the crunch games that matter.

Never liked the guy he has a swelded head persona about him thats grating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭cullenswood

fryup wrote: »
    he never does it in the crunch games that matter.

That is the biggest load of crap ever. Take the time to study his goal scoring record before posting

It has to be said Robbie Keane is an ol'big head isn't he....the way he celebrated as if he scored against a top notch team:rolleyes: he never does it in the crunch games that matter.

Yeah you're right. Speaking of which I must have been dreaming when I saw him scoring v Italy in Bari and v France in Paris last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Regarding Andy Reid - he was tremendous for the first half of last season, the lad was showing top 6 form but then got injured around the New Year and has been pretty much out since. I do think he is a very talented player, however until he can control his weight and injury proneness simultaneously he has no chance of making the squad. And his chances are already slim enough with our embarrassment of riches on the left wing (Duff, McGeady, Hunt, Fahey) combined with Trap's love of tough tackling central midfielders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

lol @ Bonerm.

Keane has scored TONNES of vital goals in 'crunch games' as fryup put it.

France, Italy, Georgia, Cyrpus, Albania, Spain, Germany etc etc should I go on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Regarding Andy Reid - he was tremendous for the first half of last season, the lad was showing top 6 form but then got injured around the New Year and has been pretty much out since. I do think he is a very talented player, however until he can control his weight and injury proneness simultaneously he has no chance of making the squad. And his chances are already slim enough with our embarrassment of riches on the left wing (Duff, McGeady, Hunt, Fahey) combined with Trap's love of tough tackling central midfielders.

Andy Reid won't make the squad regardless. Trap just doesn't want him.

• Advertisement

LOL what a load of sh!te. Are you Roy Curtis from the Sunday World?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I'd play McShane against Russia. Up front. Tell him he's to pretend to be playing for the Russians, and to give it his all. 4-0 Ireland in that case.

I think McGeady played well but as others have said I would have thought his game would be abit more polished by now and he would be consistently constructive.

Clearly has ability but frustrating to watch. Perhaps down to lack of a preseason, I hope it's not down to him STILL "maturing". It's taking too long and may never happen if that's the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

bonerm wrote: »
    A win is a win and personally I'd be quite happy if Ireland managed to go thru the rest of this group picking up the required number o 1-0's and 0-0s and coming out on top.

Going into a big game against Russia I don't think the confidence would be flowing if we limped to a 1-0 "result" over Andorra at home.

tolosenc wrote: »
    I'd play McShane against Russia. Up front. Tell him he's to pretend to be playing for the Russians, and to give it his all. 4-0 Ireland in that case.

I'd play him up front too. Might as well try everywhere until we work out what position he's actually good at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

MOG7 wrote: »
    I think we need to take Trap out and shoot him so because i can't see him playing that team, i know its only 2 changes really but i still can't see it, i would put my house on it that it will be Andrews and Whelan in the middle next month presuming both are fit. Left back i would be surprised if its not Kilbane again too, if he wouldn't give a younger player a chance last night what are the chances of him playing them against Russia or Slovakia, nil.

I agree on the Kelly point too, when he first came along too i think he showed a lot of promise but i think the step up to international is just too big a step for now.

"Take Trap out and shoot him"?

The mind boggles. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

My Ireland team would be:

Given
    O'Shea----Dunne---St Ledger----Foley
    Lawrence/Duff--Whelan--Gibson---McGeady
    Doyle---Keane

If anyone thinks the team should be much different than that they should be shot.

cson wrote: »
    "Take Trap out and shoot him"?

The mind boggles. :rolleyes:

Maybe you didn't read it properly.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Going into a big game against Russia I don't think the confidence would be flowing if we limped to a 1-0 "result" over Andorra at home.

I'd imagine the team take nothing from these games other than the importance of winning by whatever means. As anyone who witnessed Ireland's 0-0 draw with Liechtenstein in 1995 would testify it's nice to get lots of goals but it's just vital to win and worry about things like GD later on.

WRT to confidence a team that is well organised and has matched Italy and France in recent times will not feel awed by Russia or Slovakia when the time comes, regardless of results v the likes of Andorra.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Andy Reid won't make the squad regardless. Trap just doesn't want him.

Not sure how much truth is in the 'Banjo-gate' rumours. My belief is Trap wants 'bash brothers' in central midfield and Andy Reid simply doesn't fit that criteria. Anyway, James McCarthy is fast becoming the newer, bigger elephant in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Not sure how much truth is in the 'Banjo-gate' rumours. My belief is Trap wants 'bash brothers' in central midfield and Andy Reid simply doesn't fit that criteria. Anyway, James McCarthy is fast becoming the newer, bigger elephant in the room.

Very true, his performance against Chelsea was brilliant, he was actually in the running for the man of the match award, also showed a bit of bite when he threw a little shoulder at Terry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Trappatono obvipusly doesnt see McGeady in the same light as some of the clueless experts on here...:rolleyes:

Well Trap is hardly gonna say he had a stinker now is he.

I think McGeady has flattered to deceive in an Ireland shirt so far, however as ppl have said he's not had much football this season.....so in 12 months time when this group qualifying is coming to a close we'll be in a far better position to praise/slaughter him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Leaving aside his immense scoring record / overall playing contribution and the plethora of key goals at key times that he has banged in over the years; Keane is actually a genuinely decent lad, still in touch with people he grew up with and apparently no airs and graces about himself whatsoever. The ****e that gets spouted about him is unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Goals in Italy and France in the last 12 months alone completely refute that tired old argument pretty sharpish. You're either not very smart, on a wind up or most likely both tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I told ye Kilbane would come good...... and some of ye actually wanted to drop young Killer..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭LowOdour

He did score against france, and he always puts in a decent shift around the park....but i do have a problem with his constant moaning and complaing when things dont go his way....very stroppy player.

Doyle gets far worse treatment on the pitch than him but just mans up and gets on with it.

Yep, I think McCarthy may end up playing on the wing if at all.

Trap would definitely not stick him in the centre which is a shame. Still, he is an excellent prospect for the future. I just hope Tom Cleverly doesn't hinder his prospects at club level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Well Trap is hardly gonna say he had a stinker now is he.

No of course not but he made a point of praising him.

Trap would definitely not stick him in the centre which is a shame. Still, he is an excellent prospect for the future. I just hope Tom Cleverly doesn't hinder his prospects at club level

Cleverly will play on the wing, so no. :)

Cleverly will play on the wing, so no. :)

Hopefully, but he can also play in the centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

the way he celebrated as if he scored against a top notch team:rolleyes:
    Personally I love to see a player celebrate with enthusiasm, shows they really enjoy playing

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Would be nice without the 3 logo

Totally agree. I hate the 3 logo, its looks rotten on our jerseys :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭secman

Could not believe it when they announced the attendance last night @ 40k +, looked at best 30ish k at the match, atmosphere was not great at all. FAI seriously need to look at prices..... fckud if I'm contributing to Delaney's fat salary of over €430k if media has it right. If he was a Chartered Accountant in industry in todays market, he would be lucky to be on €100k !, especially after the losses posted at last AGM. The back slapping one down in Wexford when they all told each other what a great job they were doing. €30M losses, can't sell the premium tickets, complete disaster there, and then could not fill a 50,000 stadium for our first competitive match when they were selling 70,000 for Croker.

Of course Delaney will point to Reccession, but No Reccession when it comes to his salary !

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

secman wrote: »
    Could not believe it when they announced the attendance last night @ 40k +, looked at best 30ish k at the match, atmosphere was not great at all. FAI seriously need to look at prices..... fckud if I'm contributing to Delaney's fat salary of over €430k

You buying a ticket or not isnt going to affect his salary
    secman wrote: »
    if media has it right. If he was a Chartered Accountant in industry in todays market, he would be lucky to be on €100k !

He's employed as a CEO not a chartered accountant ffs
    and then could not fill a 50,000 stadium for our first competitive match when they were selling 70,000 for Croker.

Of course Delaney will point to Reccession, but No Reccession when it comes to his salary !

Secman

Of course the recession has a huge part to play in low ticket sales. To say otherwise is ridiculous. And how many tickets do you think would have been sold if we had faced Andorra in a competitive game at Croker?? Feck all more than last night i'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭secman

So you seriously think that his salary of €430,000 is ok in the times that are in it ?

Thats €8,269.23 per week !

FFS Obama is not on that !
    Our football association can not afford that sort of salary, look at our national league ! That is within his remit and its a shambles. There is no way his salary of €430,000 can be justified, absolutely no way.

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,846 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

3 - 1 is a great win so well done to the lads I would have liked to see them keep a clean sheet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Totally agree. I hate the 3 logo, its looks rotten on our jerseys :(

the jersey is rotten anyway. How many more jerseys do Ireland need?

Advertisement